U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 AM

910 posts, read 823,756 times

Advertisements

I want to do a photo project in which I would start with the image of a faceted gemstone, e.g. a topaz. From there, I'd like to duplicate the image of the stone several times in a vertical line, in much the same way drops of water would appear coming out of a leaky faucet.

I'd like to have the topmost image of the topaz distorted into a circular or waterdrop shape, and then in the successive images distort the topaz less and less. The bottom-most image would be completely undistorted, so the overall effect is drops of "topaz liquid" congealing into a solid topaz.

Is there any tool that can do this? I've used GIMP a lot but it doesn't seem to offer any way to do this. It does let you do a cage distortion but I'm not sure it's possible to achieve a reasonably well-formed circle using this because you have to do all the distortion moves by hand. At any rate, I know I can't do it.

Is there something I'm missing in GIMP? Or some other tool I can use?

(Any suggested tool/software must be able to run on Windows.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 AM

40,273 posts, read 41,830,220 times
I use photoimpact, it's old program no longer made. I have only used Gimp briefly so I don't know if this process will work but based on what you describe I'd draw a circle as vector. You can then place the image on the circle as a texture and select distort which if I recall correctly will work automatically.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:04 PM

910 posts, read 823,756 times
Something to try, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or