U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 04:22 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,635,805 times

Advertisements

I was just curious, are there any mainstream and commercially-available optical drive capacities available on the market today that are higher than the 100GB BDXL standard? (I thought that maybe with the advent of 4K Blu-Ray, maybe there might be something above 100GB that is available for commercial purchase?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 11:09 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
25 GB is called "single layer",
50 GB is "double layer", and
100 GB is "triple layer".

I know at least one burner can use the TL disks and Ultra HD Blu-ray format to get a 128 GB storage
https://overclock3d.net/news/storage...ay_xl_writer/1

Reference:
The "layer" refers to the user-modifiable layer that can be 'burned'. The 2nd and 3rd layers are just that, with the burner and reader focusing the laser at different depths of the disk to burn/read.

I've heard of 200 GB "four layer" but not seen any retail. I've read articles that the media supports much higher densities and layers that the current 50 & 100 but how much I don't know. It's possible that the greater capacities are more a matter of quality control of the media rather than it being a different media altogether.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:46 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,287,624 times
just how long does it take to burn them is the question. I have yet to see a need to burn anything, much less a 4k movie?

Old 01-29-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
just how long does it take to burn them is the question. I have yet to see a need to burn anything, much less a 4k movie?
I would be intending to use the 100+ GB BDXL discs to backup and clone my computer and documents hard drives. I have tried to accomplish the same objective repeatedly using external hard disks, but all that will allow me to do is back up and restore C: drive, I cannot restore any drives to external USB drives and so BDXL appears to be the only viable alternative for me. (I have tried Acronis but it fails to even successfully create a backup set, and so I have had to rely on using Windows Server Backup.)

Old 01-30-2018, 06:31 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
Update and minor correction.
The next bump above 100 GB is 128 GB "Quad Layer". This is what new burners can handle.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:24 AM

3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPaladin View Post
I would be intending to use the 100+ GB BDXL discs to backup and clone my computer and documents hard drives. I have tried to accomplish the same objective repeatedly using external hard disks, but all that will allow me to do is back up and restore C: drive, I cannot restore any drives to external USB drives and so BDXL appears to be the only viable alternative for me. (I have tried Acronis but it fails to even successfully create a backup set, and so I have had to rely on using Windows Server Backup.)
I am well versed in using Acronis and have been using it for over 10 years. If you can give me more details on what you are trying to do I may be able to help. I've used it on workstations and servers with all types of hard drives and partitions.

Another consideration for externals is the file system that it is formatted with. NTFS would be the way to go under most circumstances.

So you want to backup C: drive along with the MBR and restore it to an external?

What version of Acronis is it?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I am well versed in using Acronis and have been using it for over 10 years. If you can give me more details on what you are trying to do I may be able to help. I've used it on workstations and servers with all types of hard drives and partitions.

Another consideration for externals is the file system that it is formatted with. NTFS would be the way to go under most circumstances.

So you want to backup C: drive along with the MBR and restore it to an external?

What version of Acronis is it?
Correct, I would like to back up C: drive to an external drive and then also restore it to another, separate external drive. The reason being to be able to verify the integrity of the backup prior to an actual restoration of C: drive, in case the restore fails. ETA: I would also like to be able to back up and external documents hard disks drive and restore it to another external drive.

On the question of Acronis, IIRC, I tried out a trialware version of it a few years ago (i am currently running Windows Server 2012), but when I tried to use Acronis to run a backup, it wasn't able to run and I got some obscure error message, sorry as I can't remember the exact verbiage though

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 01-31-2018 at 09:00 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 05:58 AM

5,813 posts, read 8,541,502 times
It would help to understand the actual requirement. Why do you need to put a backup on external media at all? There are many software options to backup a desktop or server to a shared storage device (i.e. NAS) or public cloud. Putting it on optical or magnetic tape is archaic.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:34 AM

3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPaladin View Post
Correct, I would like to back up C: drive to an external drive and then also restore it to another, separate external drive. The reason being to be able to verify the integrity of the backup prior to an actual restoration of C: drive, in case the restore fails. ETA: I would also like to be able to back up and external documents hard disks drive and restore it to another external drive.

On the question of Acronis, IIRC, I tried out a trialware version of it a few years ago (i am currently running Windows Server 2012), but when I tried to use Acronis to run a backup, it wasn't able to run and I got some obscure error message, sorry as I can't remember the exact verbiage though
OK, I get it now.

Acronis has a built in verify feature which you can do on every backup if you want. You would not need to restore the image backup to an external to verify it's integrity. An image backup that includes the MBR is suitable to restore on a hard drive you will use to boot with. You would not restore the backup "as is" to an external. You probably could (I've never tried) restore it but since you would never be booting from an external that would be unnecessary. You could backup the entire C: partition (or drive) and restore without the MBR to an external. The external may need to be formatted under the same file system as the backup. This is usually NTFS for Windows.

I would do image backups of your entire hard drive to the external including partitions and MBR and then do subsequent incremental or differential backups on a schedule of your choice. You can exclude a partition (like D Drive) if you have one and you do not store important data on it. These image backups will allow you to restore to a bare metal drive using a boot CD or USB in case your current disk fails. You could have your system up and running again just like it was in a short period of time. That is the idea behind "bare metal restores". In the mean time, you can restore any files and folders from the same image backup. You can also double click on one of the image backups and copy and paste any files contained in it.

I would seriously take another look at Acronis and buy their home version. It's not expensive. I use a slightly different version called Acronis Backup but their "True Image" product should do most of the same. Acronis Backup is more for businesses and True Image is for home use. Backup is around $70 and True Image is around $30.

Here's a comparison.
https://kb.acronis.com/acronis-backu...nis-true-image

Edit: Since your image backups can get quite large, you would need to have your external formatted to NTFS which does not have a size limitation. I have some single file image backups routinely over 150gb.

Last edited by gguerra; 02-01-2018 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or