Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What are you rambling about?
What I'm rambling about is I often find people with "certification" to lack any real knowledge or skills regardless of the industry they work in. When I need help with something it's usually a difficult problem and it becomes very frustrating when the "experts" know less than you do.

Quote:
Go into a few retail stores that repair computers and ask to see their certification ID card. Doubt you will find many if any.
I could care less, certificate or not my only concern is can you give me a knowledgeable answer to my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 09:24 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I used to love Mircocenter where I was in Virginia!
Same here! I was thrilled to find them. A mini-Fry's! I went to the one in Vienna.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:32 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What I'm rambling about is I often find people with "certification" to lack any real knowledge or skills regardless of the industry they work in. When I need help with something it's usually a difficult problem and it becomes very frustrating when the "experts" know less than you do.
Sadly true. The CompTIA exams (A+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, etc.) used to be pretty well-regarded, and if you had one it was a pretty good indicator that you had a decent foundation of knowledge. No more. Any multiple-choice exam has been, is being, and will be thoroughly gamed.

To answer the OPs question, I'd suggest maybe a community college? If they have some kind of computer hardware program, it seems likely that the students are motivated and the instructor(s) should have a good idea of what they're about.

The last time I built a PC was about 1997. I'm not a gamer, and there's just no point to my mucking with hardware any more... I buy laptops and desktops off-lease from dellrefurbished.com and if one exhinits problems I cannot quickly fix, I just toss it in the recycle pile and pick up another. I routinely get laptops for $3-400 delivered. And, no, they don't keep dying! I gave one to my wife, and the most recent one I got because it's half the weight while having all of the features of the shoulder-breaker I had been toting around. I have a couple that I effectively paid about $10 per month to use, and I can loan or give them to family members.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:31 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
Quote:

I could care less, certificate or not my only concern is can you give me a knowledgeable answer to my question.
Your problems with cross site scripting errors in HTML have nothing to do with the plight of the OP and nothing to do with thread. As to being certified in HTML, CSS and Javascript only proves that one has enough basic knowledge to pass a test. It does not make one a expert.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:48 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
The A+ shows that you have at least some basic knowledge of PC components. That's about all it does.

I too would recommend a local repair shop, but those are increasingly difficult to find.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:12 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Same here! I was thrilled to find them. A mini-Fry's! I went to the one in Vienna.
I always preferred the one in Rockville, but lately have been to the Vienna more often.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Your problems with cross site scripting errors....
Being able to inject code into file on the fly across numerous unrelated domains on a shared host is little bit more than a XSS Vulnerability. This is not a small problem and it should raise a giant red flag for anyone that has even small amount of knowledge.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Being able to inject code into file on the fly across numerous unrelated domains on a shared host is little bit more than a XSS Vulnerability. This is not a small problem and it should raise a giant red flag for anyone that has even small amount of knowledge.
You expect too much from today's generation. A majority of them cannot do anything on the fly. Knowledge without experience only proves one has read the manual and passed a test. They as a call center, read the physical manual, read a digital support manual and give you canned answers. This is what you get as free tech support compared to those of us who are real contractors with real experience (who charge premium for it).

I've just sold my company at double nickel and retired out of it. All my corporate clients were notified of this and I'm still being tapped to resolve software issues. My wife still has her company, still likes the challenge of resolving problems on the fly (and the 2am phone calls). She like me have no need for manuals (we will still go to training conferences when new versions come out). We come from a generation that doesn't explain to others how to fix a issue, we dial in (or fly in) and resolve it. We are not if-then-else tech support.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
wow.. think this guy needs to go back to lv1 because no way he is a T2 support person. NO EFFN WAY!

Read the chat again. The Tech is telling him nicely that freebie support for DIYrs is limited and he should contact a real developer to deal with his coding issue.

Look at who he is contacting and the costs related to it. Buy cheap, get cheap.
https://techcrunch.com/2008/01/10/ne...-domain-names/

Old 01-31-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
This is what you get as free tech support compared to those of us who are real contractors with real experience (who charge premium for it).
The only one providing tech support was myself. When you are paying for a service or a product that is defective it's not too much to expect that the issue be resolved especially after you have painted a picture for them. Just so it's clear this is not a RTFM issue but one that can only be resolved by the host and was affecting perhaps hundreds of their customers on a shared hosting server.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers