U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 04:32 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,636,928 times

Advertisements

Would anyone be able to recommend any PC repair or hardware maintenance shops available that are better than Microcenter and Best Buy? Have had marginal, bad, or even nightmare experiences with both of the above and was wondering if there might be a viable alternative...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 05:57 AM

40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
A computer shops may have better diagnostic tools for the physical hardware but it's unlikely anybody with really good knowledge is working at Best buy. You are rolling the dice at any of these places.

Last shop I visited for computer repair was TV repair guy I had solder on a BIOS chip. It had 8 legs that could sit on top of pencil eraser with room to spare. Just a little bit beyond my abilities.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:04 AM

25,347 posts, read 11,248,513 times
I used to love Mircocenter where I was in Virginia! Wish we had one in Colorado Springs. The OP made me look it up, and there is one in Denver. I'll have to drop by the next time I'm up there.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:59 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
No. It's not the locations that are the issues, it's the people. Having certified techs no longer means anything. Some take the A+ and some take some internal test and all it proves is that they can read and write. Just look for a computer shop that builds computers in house as usually their techs are also hobbyists.

I think CompUSA was the last retailer where in addition to A+, all their technicians were certified by numerous manufacturers to work on their computers in warranty.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:06 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Check for over 55 communities on your area. They will usually have a Computer club that is staffed by retired techs. The one here is excellent. I've heard from numerous people that they fixed all their problems at a very reasonable price.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:10 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Look for a small local shop. Go to Google Maps. Make sure it's centered on your location. Search for PC REPAIR. Anything?

Old 01-29-2018, 03:02 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,636,928 times
Thanks for the helpful suggestions from everyone. I guess I was kinda hoping there might be some sort of national chain other than Microcenter or Best Buy, maybe a bit smaller perhaps...although since over the years other former competitors to Best Buy and Microcenter have gone the way of the dinosaur, the market niche may be smaller than it used to be...

Just curious, one suggestion I received was to try to look for a Microsoft Certified Partner, does anyone know what the best way might be to find one of those who would also be reputable?

Old 01-29-2018, 04:00 PM

40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No. It's not the locations that are the issues, it's the people. Having certified techs no longer means anything. Some take the A+ and some take some internal test and all it proves is that they can read and write. Just look for a computer shop that builds computers in house as usually their techs are also hobbyists.

I think CompUSA was the last retailer where in addition to A+, all their technicians were certified by numerous manufacturers to work on their computers in warranty.
Those certifications are often meaningless, they might as well hand them out in cracker jack box. Seems like any time I deal with L1 or L2 hosting support even if I paint a picture for them they are useless.

The person I'm conversing with is supposedly L2 support for Network solutions. Just for some context here I did some free work for non-profit to update their site. First thing issue I came across was binary file in the public_html directory that did not belong there and I couldn't delete. They needed to get L3 to delete it. After that was done I completely deleting all the contents on in public_html I uploaded test.html that simply contained the text "test". Using some third party tools I was getting this:

Quote:
Expires: Sat, 6 May 1995 12:00:00 GMT
P3P: CP=NOI ADM DEV PSAi COM NAV OUR OTRo STP IND DEM
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Length: 144
Connection: Close

Content (0.14 KiB)

<html><body><script>document.cookie='yyyyyyy=e59 30 a2fyyyyyyy_e5930a2f; path=/';window.location.href=window.location.href;</script></body></html>
Found some other sites on same server with the exact same issue which means the server is compromised.

Quote:
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Korey N' in Florida.
Korey N: Thank you for contacting Network Solutions service chat. Just a minute while I review your service request so that I can answer your questions.
Richard: This is still unresolved, see also ticket 1-XXXXXX2
Korey N: Ok how can I help?
Richard: Korey go to web-sniffer.net and type in the domain.
Richard: The content is
Richard: <html><body><script>document.cookie='yyyyyyy=eed 9e 2beyyyyyyy_eed9e2be; path=/';window.location.href=window.location.href;</script></body></html>
Richard: That is being injected from somewhere.
Korey N: Is this a custom coded site?
Richard: Korey, any page on the domain returns that string.
Korey N: Im not understanding your issue. Can you please provide more details on the issues you are having?
Richard: Korey view this page:
Richard: example.com/test.html
Korey N: Can you please explain your issue so that I can assist
Richard: Korey go that url, it says:
Richard: test
Richard: correct?
Korey N: Yes I see that
Richard: It's just a text document
Richard: Now try it in web-sniffer.net
Richard: See the content output at the bottom?
Richard: <html><body><script>document.cookie='yyyyyyy=eed 9e 2beyyyyyyy_eed9e2be; path=/';window.location.href=window.location.href;</script></body></html>
Richard: That's being injected somewhere.
Korey N: I apologize however this is not a network solutions website. I am not able to replicate this issue
Richard: Korey, give me higher level tech since you obviously don't understand what is going on here.
Korey N: If you feel as though your site has been compromised please review all of your content for any malicious files or scripts and update all your applications and credentials
Korey N: I am sorry however we cannot troubleshoot results from a third party site
Richard: Give me higher level tech please.
Korey N: I am level 2 support. We do not support troubleshooting custom code under our standard scope of support. And at this time I am not seeing this injected text in the raw text document. If there is a file injecting code as you said you will need to have your developer remove it or upload a clean copy and do as I said above to ensure security.
Richard: Korey, that code is being injected somewhere.
Korey N: At this time I am not seeing this injected text in the raw text document. If there is a file injecting code as you said you will need to have your developer remove it or upload a clean copy and do as I said above to ensure security.
Korey N: At this time there are no indications that the server itself is causing this issue. Again please have your developer research further to ensure there are no malicious scripts
Richard: You have to go to third party site like web-sniffer.net to see it.
Korey N: I
Korey N: I'm sorry however other than the third party site I am unable to replicate the issue
Richard: You can replicate this on numerous third party sites
Richard: browsershots.org
Korey N: I apologize however I am unable to replicate this issue. Please have your developer review the site to ensure there are no malicious contents and update all applications and passwords to ensure security. Did you have any other questions for me today?
Richard: See ticket 1-XXXXXX2
Richard: Give me a higher level tech Korey.
Korey N: This ticket was resolved. Are you still having an issue with an htdocs file above /htdocs?
Richard: Give me a higher level tech
Korey N: Was there anything else that I can assist you with?
Richard: Yes, give me a higher level tech
Korey N: If there is nothing more that I can assist you with I will go ahead and end this chat.
Richard: Korey I want a higher level tech.
Korey N: Thank you for contacting Network Solutions. Take care!
Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the site operator.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:44 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,287,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Those certifications are often meaningless, they might as well hand them out in cracker jack box. Seems like any time I deal with L1 or L2 hosting support even if I paint a picture for them they are useless.

The person I'm conversing with is supposedly L2 support for Network solutions. Just for some context here I did some free work for non-profit to update their site. First thing issue I came across was binary file in the public_html directory that did not belong there and I couldn't delete. They needed to get L3 to delete it. After that was done I completely deleting all the contents on in public_html I uploaded test.html that simply contained the text "test". Using some third party tools I was getting this:

Found some other sites on same server with the exact same issue which means the server is compromised.
wow.. think this guy needs to go back to lv1 because no way he is a T2 support person. NO EFFN WAY!

to the OP.. try Frys if you got one close by, but beyond that issue. i would refer to a local mom/pop place for better results and CS. and better rates.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:43 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

What are you rambling about? This thread is related to people in general and not corporations. CompUSA was the last general retail store to have in-store technicians who passed certification tests from from each individual company's computers they worked on. They ceased to exist on 2007. Today's in-store techs are mostly certified in nothing. Go into a few retail stores that repair computers and ask to see their certification ID card. Doubt you will find many if any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers