U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 04:48 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,635,805 times

Advertisements

I have a test box rig with Windows Server 2012 installed (not the R2 version). Backing up to and restoring C: drive from an external hard drive using Windows Server Backup works perfectly. However, whenever I try to use Windows Server Backup to restore any backups of C: drive (or a backup of another external hard drive) to a second/separate external hard drive, the "Destination Volume" field in Windows Server Backup's Recovery Wizard is completely blank and cannot recognize the external hard disk that I want to restore to (even though the external hard drive is itself recognized by Windows Server and even has a drive letter assigned, etc.). I have tested this on at least 4 or more different external hard drives (2 Seagate drives, and 2 WD drives) so far, but receive the same problem every time.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on what can I do to have the Windows Server Backup Recovery Wizard successfully recognize my external hard drive as an available value for the "Destination Volume" field? I've already tried researching solutions to this quite exhaustively online, but none of the solutions that appeared to work for others had any meaningful effect for me. The only real alternative I would have to backing up to external hard drives would be to back up to 100GB BDXL media, but this is much slower and can take literally days to complete...plus 100GB doesn't go quite as far as it did a few years ago...backing up a hard drive that has 1TB of data on it for example would take 10 BDXL discs...

Also: I was told by a technician troubleshooting Windows Server Backup for me -- since I am not familiar with hardware -- that one difference between Server 2008 R2 and Server 2012 is that 2008 R2 backs up to an image while 2012 does not and uses file-based backup. Also that Windows Server 2012 has to be installed on any drive that is being restored to; just curious does anyone know if this is accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 06:10 PM

4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
are these hard drive images you are backing up ?

ive had good luck with dd. is windows-2012 still supported by ms (windows-2008 for that matter) ? would upgrading to the latest versions resolve the issues ?

Old 01-26-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
are these hard drive images you are backing up ?

ive had good luck with dd. is windows-2012 still supported by ms (windows-2008 for that matter) ? would upgrading to the latest versions resolve the issues ?
Thanks for your helpful post and feedback, I appreciate it! In response to your questions: yes these are hard drive images that I am backing up, to the best of my knowledge since it was my understanding that Windows Server Backup is the built-in imaging and backup tool that comes with Windows Server, at least since the first incarnation of Server 2008. Also yes IIRC, Server 2012 I believe will still be supported by Microsoft until 2022 or thereabouts, and Server 2008 R2 I think until 2020? One reason I wanted to stay with Server 2012 -- in addition to saving money -- is the ability to choose and select which Windows updates I want to install and which I don't.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:41 PM

4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
^ i see. the reason i brought up support is because the field you are trying to fill in is greyed out. so i would think microsoft didnt imagine a scenario where a user would want to restore to a non-c: drive back in 2008.

i am curious if they are truly images. can you load up a linux live-usb (or vm) and run the file command on it:
Quote:
[stanley-88888888@hyper ~]$ file Downloads/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso raspberry-pi-sd.iso
Downloads/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data (DOS/MBR boot sector) 'Fedora-WS-Live-26-1-5' (bootable)
raspberry-pi-sd.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector
; partition 1 : ID=0xc, start-CHS (0x20,0,1), end-CHS (0x3ff,3,32), startsector 4096, 143360 sectors; partition 2 : ID=0x83, start-CHS (0x9,110,38), end-CHS (0xf8,52,60), startsector 151552, 3835904 sectors
the first one is a partition image; the 2nd one is a disk image.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ i see. the reason i brought up support is because the field you are trying to fill in is greyed out. so i would think microsoft didnt imagine a scenario where a user would want to restore to a non-c: drive back in 2008.

i am curious if they are truly images. can you load up a linux live-usb (or vm) and run the file command on it:the first one is a partition image; the 2nd one is a disk image.
Hi thanks again for the helpful suggestions and for the valuable info. Interesting, maybe the techician I was speaking to was right that Server 2012 removed the ability to restore images to external hard drives -- I remember from personal exp. that it could still be done in Server 2008. Just curious, since I have multiple licenses for Server 2012, is there any possibility that installing it (assuming it is technically doable) on the external hard drive that i want to restore to might make the external drive show up as a usable destination volume in Windows Server Backup?

Regarding the suggestion the recommended Linux code referenced, unfortunately I haven't used Linux since the late 90s and am not familiar with how current-generation hardware would connect to it? Thanks again for trying to help though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or