Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 06:20 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times

Advertisements

I'm more curious than anything else, since the problem seems to have "fixed" itself.

I have a 5-year-old Dell desktop computer running Windows 7. I've had very few problems with it, but this morning I was on the Internet (perfectly "normal" sites, e.g. my work email, City-Data, my local grocery store) and the computer basically froze. I knew I had saved all my work beforehand, so I (reluctantly) shut the computer down (at its on/off switch) and turned it back on. It came back on but was basically frozen -- i.e., I couldn't do ANYTHING. So I shut it down again and started in safe mode (which worked fine but of course is a bit of a pain to use).

At that point I knew something weird was going on, so I backed up everything I could think of to an external hard drive, then tried to do "system restore" -- the most recent date/time was 12:01 a.m. today (I guess that's done automatically each night). Well, when it re-started, it basically got hung up at the "welcome" screen, then I got a notice that the "system restore" didn't work (it said it was probably because my anti-virus program was still running), so I tried again. Same results.

Tried a couple more times. Same results.

Finally tried to do a "system restore" from the time BEFORE the "automatic" date of today at 12:01 a.m. THIS time, the computer went from the "welcome" screen to my NORMAL screen within a couple of seconds (which, of course, is exactly what it's SUPPOSED to do) ... and everything looked normal, but I STILL got the "system restore was unable to work, probably because of your anti-virus settings ..."

But it DID work. As of that attempt, everything came back looking (and acting) TOTALLY NORMAL. Now, several hours later, STILL normal.

So what the heck happened?!!! Obviously I am happy to have my computer back "to normal" (it seems), but I am NOT happy at having NO IDEA what happened.

Oh, McAfee and Malwarebytes both report no problems (as they did before). So it doesn't appear to have been a virus or malware.

But again: what happened?! Anyone have any idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:25 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Are you using Malwarebytes? It looks like you are.

This morning Malwarebytes installed an upgrade that caused computers to freeze. I happened to me and many others.

A few hours later they issued another update that solved the problem. The updates are installed when you boot up your computer. Since people were constantly rebooting their computers because they had crashed the new update was eventually installed and the computers, like magic, started to function normally.

Last edited by karlsch; 01-27-2018 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 04:05 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,631 times
My computer locked up yesterday too, thank you karlsch for the information.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:45 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Are you using Malwarebytes? It looks like you are.

This morning Malwarebytes installed an upgrade that caused computers to freeze. I happened to me and many others.

A few hours later they issued another update that solved the problem. The updates are installed when you boot up your computer. Since people were constantly rebooting their computers because they had crashed the new update was eventually installed and the computers, like magic, started to function normally.
Ah, I had not heard of this at all, so thank you so much for the info! Sounds like this is exactly what caused it. I'm actually glad to know it wasn't anything I did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers