U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 09:56 PM

6,667 posts, read 3,806,201 times

Advertisements

I'm using a refurbished Dell. We got it when Windows 8 was still being used. For some reason the Best Buy Geeks can't figure out why it won't update to Windows 10. I don't know if that has anything to do with my current question.

My husband recently added a Logitech speaker and later that week I decided to listen to a new CD on my radio/CD player in the same room as the computer. The computer was on and the music I was listening to on the player was coming through the computer speaker as feedback a second behind the CD player.

They aren't connected.

Does that mean my computer is picking up everything that is being said in this room? The spoken word doesn't come through the speaker.

I'm totally not computer savvy so I hope I can answer any questions that would help others figure out what exactly is happening. It was creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 06:52 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
This is really two different questions. You may wish to split them into two different threads to get better responses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm using a refurbished Dell. We got it when Windows 8 was still being used. For some reason the Best Buy Geeks can't figure out why it won't update to Windows 10. I don't know if that has anything to do with my current question.
I suspect your license for Win8 was itself, an update license. And therefore it's possible that it's not an acceptable 'existing license' to update to 10.

Microsoft has a huge blend of license fine print. IE: Some Windows versions are not allowed to be transferred out of their original machine into a new one. Some are "new" licenses, some are "updates" to a previous. I think the only way to determine what you need to upgrade what you have, is to use the software downloadable from MS that examines your system for upgrade compatibility. Make sure you have your CD-Key handy. (MS's term for the Win8 serial number).

Quote:
My husband recently added a Logitech speaker and later that week I decided to listen to a new CD on my radio/CD player in the same room as the computer. The computer was on and the music I was listening to on the player was coming through the computer speaker as feedback a second behind the CD player. They aren't connected.

Does that mean my computer is picking up everything that is being said in this room? The spoken word doesn't come through the speaker.

I'm totally not computer savvy so I hope I can answer any questions that would help others figure out what exactly is happening. It was creepy.
One is probably 'bleeding' over to the other, via radio interference. This can happen from within the speakers, or even if you have speaker wires laid near the other. Just move one or both more apart and you should silence the ghost. (It can be spooky, I had one setup where my speakers softly played music even when everything I owned was powered off, because an apartment neighbor's system nor my cheap speakers weren't well shielded from interference).

Old 01-30-2018, 07:39 AM

Thanks for your quick response, Ed. I just spoke to my husband and he said that when he bought the tower it was sold as new. Does that mean that it wasn't new, you think?

Are our Geeks that unknowledgeable or is something else going on? I suppose we won't know until we know the terms under the license.

Would it be common practice for them to sell a number of different types of devices with different licenses? Doesn't that mean someone else has already used it?

I've copied your response for when he takes it in and appreciate your advice about the serial number.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:25 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
OK. Stop.
Your computer was new. Did YOU ever update it to 10? Guessing no? Then you can't update for free to 10 unless you have a Win 10 Professional (versus Home). If you have HOME it's going to cost you.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:48 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
Quote:
Quote:
... when he bought the tower it was sold as new. Does that mean that it wasn't new, you think?
If the computer was New, then you know the Win8 was never registered.
If may be that it was purchased by someone else, who then registered their Win8 with MS, .... and then returned it due to some other problem.
I assume when you say refurbished, that you still purchased it from Dell, but as a machine previously owned, and now warranted Like New (for a discount).
Perhaps when you try to upgrade it, MS sees it as a version already owned by someone else and fails it as a license to which an upgrade could be applied.

I suggest you get the CD-Key from your machine and phone MS and literally ask a human.
See what their records show. It may take a long time suffering through their music on hold, but learn the history of that key. Maybe you could email them a copy of your receipt showing it was sold to you Like New by Dell, and get them to accept you're the first retail owner (at least legally). If so, they may send you a CD-Key that would let you do your Win-10.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
OK. Stop.
Your computer was new. Did YOU ever update it to 10? Guessing no? Then you can't update for free to 10 unless you have a Win 10 Professional (versus Home). If you have HOME it's going to cost you.
Yes, Peregrine. We got multiple prompts from the computer to update but every time we tried it wouldn't install. That's when we took it back to Best Buy who couldn't install it either.

Thanks again, Ed. We'll do business in person. Their phone line transfers to a business in another part of that state so then we've got that old bugaboo of third person communication working against us. Crazy.

The guys there are polite and seem helpful, though they are very overworked.

I'm going to copy this thread for them to read. Hopefully it provides the language, thanks to you, to help explain what the problem may be. Maybe we can get this resolved as each day the computer is getting less accommodating. Maybe they can provide compensation or a resolution.

Appreciate it.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,287,624 times
Quote:
Thanks for your quick response, Ed. I just spoke to my husband and he said that when he bought the tower it was sold as new. Does that mean that it wasn't new, you think?

Are our Geeks that unknowledgeable or is something else going on? I suppose we won't know until we know the terms under the license.

Would it be common practice for them to sell a number of different types of devices with different licenses? Doesn't that mean someone else has already used it?

I've copied your response for when he takes it in and appreciate your advice about the serial number.

NO! the are NEVER knowledgeable. These are kids coming from high school or rejected mom and pop business that failed. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER!! take your pc to them unless you want it eff up so bad, its a paper weight. I been to alot of best buy over the years and witness some of their work on hand. They know nothing, and using google as their instructions and pirate software to do other things. Just to prove a point to a fellow friend, I intentally clear my MBR to keep windows from booting up. All you have to do is run a command line to fix it. Simple 1 min fix and your good to go. They formatted my HD!! when i had notes that said DO NOT FORMAT IT! CALL PRIOR.. because i was going ot go educate these morons on how to fix a simple MBR corruption .

sorry ill get off the soap box..

Win 10 was free till end of the year ,now its a paid os. Your about month 2 late.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:15 PM

5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
NO! the are NEVER knowledgeable. These are kids coming from high school or rejected mom and pop business that failed. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER!! take your pc to them unless you want it eff up so bad, its a paper weight. I been to alot of best buy over the years and witness some of their work on hand. They know nothing, and using google as their instructions and pirate software to do other things. Just to prove a point to a fellow friend, I intentally clear my MBR to keep windows from booting up. All you have to do is run a command line to fix it. Simple 1 min fix and your good to go. They formatted my HD!! when i had notes that said DO NOT FORMAT IT! CALL PRIOR.. because i was going ot go educate these morons on how to fix a simple MBR corruption .

sorry ill get off the soap box..
I'll second this. Never take a computer to the 'Geeks', they are anything but. A *real* geek would know how to fix things without re-formatting the HDD, which seems to be their answer for just about every problem. As a knowledgeable computer person (working with/on them since about 1972) I have been appalled at the lack of knowledge and ability of the so-called 'Geeks' that I have observed and talked to first-hand. Your average 10 year-old knows more than they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or