U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 08:27 PM

5,110 posts, read 1,711,676 times

Advertisements

Basically I have a lot of computer work to do, but it would be a lot easier if I could have two screens. Basically I have to two programs open, but I would like to see both programs at the same time. I want to be able to type into one program, while watching the other, and I do not want either screen to click off, when I am typing in the one.

Every tutorial I have watched on this, is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7RBw1ESe2s

They say to hit the multiple displays option. My computer is a windows 7 but it does not have the multiple displays option. So in that case, what do I do then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 08:37 PM

7,155 posts, read 3,912,101 times
Do you have multiple displays? In other words, 2 monitors? Or a laptop and a connected external monitor?

There are some monitors out there that will allow multiple displays on a single monitor.

Or, on a single monitor just tile your windows - Aero Snap may give you what you are looking for.

"Aero Snap for Side-by-Side Windows

Aero Isn’t Gone in Windows 8: 6 Aero Features You Can Still Use
Aero Snap is extremely useful. It was introduced with Windows 7, but it’s also available on Windows 8 and Windows 10. Microsoft says they got rid of Aero in Windows 8, but Snap is one of the Aero features still available on Windows 8 and 10.

The Snap feature makes a window take up half of your screen, making it easy to arrange two windows side by side without manually resizing and moving them around. To use Aero Snap, hold the Windows key and press the left or right arrow keys. The current window will be resized and placed at the left or right side of the screen."

Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 PM

5,110 posts, read 1,711,676 times
No I just have one monitor. I will try it, thanks.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:18 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,489,851 times
This isn't a software issue, it's a hardware limitation.

You're computer has to have the hardware to generate a signal for the first, and then the second monitor.
Most (if not all) laptops have this built in, as it's common to connect the laptop to an external monitor (or projector or such), and they come with the internal hardware to do one, the other, both, or two separate screens.

To do this with a non-laptop, you're graphic card has to be able to make two desktop's worth of signals. Don't get confused by video cards (or motherboards) that have two plugs, but only one output. They provide for a VGA output, or a DVMI, or a HDMI (you pick one).

If you want a second, different display, you need a dual-monitor graphics card. They are cheap and easy to install.
Once you have the dual-monitor hardware enabled, now and only now do you go in and tell Windows 7 (or other versions), that you want the two displays to be duplicates or different desktops.

When I got the components for my present system, I got a dual-monitor graphics card. My DVMI output goes to my computer desk's monitor, and an HDMI output goes to my smart-TV's external input. My Win7 is set up for two separate desktops. I do computering on the #1, and use the #2 to watch movies played on my PC's bluray player but displayed on my TV. Saved me the cost of buying a blueray player for my TV.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:45 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
My computer is a windows 7 but it does not have the multiple displays option. So in that case, what do I do then?
It doesn't show multiple displays unless you have 2 displays (monitors) hooked up to your PC.

Laptop or Desktop?

Old 02-06-2018, 04:15 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,961,915 times
Try this.
Start both programs.
In the upper right corner click the icon that will reduce the size of the sheet displayed. Probably the 2 rectangular boxes.
Click the top edge and you should be able to drag the window around the computer screen.
Move it out of the way so you can click the rectangular boxes on the second program.
Now click the top of one of the screens and drag it to the upper right corner. Drag the other program to the other side.
The windows should lock in using one half of the screen. May take a little work to do this.
If you can not get this to work you can change the size of the window by dragging the edge

Old 02-06-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Try this.
Start both programs.
In the upper right corner click the icon that will reduce the size of the sheet displayed. Probably the 2 rectangular boxes.
Click the top edge and you should be able to drag the window around the computer screen.
Move it out of the way so you can click the rectangular boxes on the second program.
Now click the top of one of the screens and drag it to the upper right corner. Drag the other program to the other side.
The windows should lock in using one half of the screen. May take a little work to do this.
If you can not get this to work you can change the size of the window by dragging the edge
In other words, tile the windows

Old 02-06-2018, 07:48 PM

14,518 posts, read 16,543,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically I have a lot of computer work to do, but it would be a lot easier if I could have two screens. Basically I have to two programs open, but I would like to see both programs at the same time. I want to be able to type into one program, while watching the other, and I do not want either screen to click off, when I am typing in the one.

Every tutorial I have watched on this, is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7RBw1ESe2s

They say to hit the multiple displays option. My computer is a windows 7 but it does not have the multiple displays option. So in that case, what do I do then?
Grab the window and drag it all the way to right. It will snap into the right half of the screen. Do the same for the left. Or hit Windows and the right arrow/left arrow.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:38 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
OK so that's 4 people that suggested snapping the windows.
What this person really needs is to buy a 2nd monitor and a video card.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
OK so that's 4 people that suggested snapping the windows.
What this person really needs is to buy a 2nd monitor and a video card.
You didn’t get the answer about it being a desktop or laptop yet. I suspect desktop, but before recommending a video card it’s probably a good idea to know what system it is, and if it actually has expansion space for a second card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or