U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 07:39 AM

872 posts, read 1,661,069 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I have a HP Pavilion p7-1430, and the processor/CPU fan (not the case fan) needs replacing. It's noisy and it revs. It's been doing that for about a year, like it gets loud and spins suddenly, then goes quiet again. It happens unpredictably but regularly.

How do I know what replacement fan is compatible, and is this a routine part or price/quality matters? Also if I'm able to replace RAM and install a graphics card, is it fairly straightforward to do or I'd have to take it to micro center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 08:19 AM

7,141 posts, read 3,904,178 times
Based upon the specs you have a Socket FM2 system. I don’t know enough about it to say if a standard cpu heatsink/fan will work, but it’s fairly likely.

A reasonably priced, quality replacement is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. Or you may just be able to replace the fan if it screws onto the heatsink. If that’s the case it may be a standard size and swappable.

RAM should be easy, but note your system only has a 300W power supply, which will limit your video card choices to something bus powered. A GTX 1050 Ti should work.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:39 AM

3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
It's based on the CPU socket. That will determine the dimensions. The RPM's and other factors will vary.

Choose one from this page. Just make sure it's states that it fits an FM2 socket, also check the height of it to see if it fits in your case. Unless you get a huge cooler like a water cooler it should.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...d=1&Submit=ENE

OR
get the brand and model from the one you have now and google for it.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:49 AM

7,141 posts, read 3,904,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's based on the CPU socket. That will determine the dimensions. The RPM's and other factors will vary.

Choose one from this page. Just make sure it's states that it fits an FM2 socket, also check the height of it to see if it fits in your case. Unless you get a huge cooler like a water cooler it should.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...d=1&Submit=ENE

OR
get the brand and model from the one you have now and google for it.
The only pause is if HP uses a non-standard motherboard, which may mean a custom fan and heatsink. I doubt it, but I would validate before ripping things apart. If it’s only the fan it may be possible to just replace that and not have to remove the heat sink, etc.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
Before you get a replacement fan, there's some clarification needed.

Noise could come from your fan acquiring dust asymmetrically, which would cause it to be louder, especially when going fast. Also, normal operation for a CPU fan is to cycle speeds, based on the sensed temperature. So having it change speed may be normal, not a sign of failure.

Did you dust the fan, heat sink and CPU assembly? I've found the inside of my tower case to be surprisingly dusty. I've had to vacuum it out every few months, then blast it with canned air.

The fan inside my power supply has had this problem several times. I finally got tired of opening up the case and vac and blasting it all. I re-mounted all the casing fans to direct air into the case, (the power supply is exhaust), and Velcro'ed a dust cloth (Swifter) over their entrances. I'm keeping a close eye on my CMOS config screen's display of the CPU temps to make sure the reduced (but now clean) outside air flow is cooling enough.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The only pause is if HP uses a non-standard motherboard, which may mean a custom fan and heatsink. I doubt it, but I would validate before ripping things apart. If it’s only the fan it may be possible to just replace that and not have to remove the heat sink, etc.
I kind of assumed he would get both fan and heat sink as they usually come together. It may be possible to get just the fan but for the price, just get both. If it's only the fan that is the problem, then by all means get just that by looking at it and matching it.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:22 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,701,905 times
I thought fans came in standard square sizes, and are commodity products? Why would any mass market vendor like HP spend more for a custom fan?

You only have a few variables to deal with in specing a fan IIRC:
-fan size, usually in mm
-fan speed, in rpm
-fan bearing type
-speed sensor or not
-thermal sensor or not (not common to have one?)

I don't think gguerra is right in saying the socket determines the fan. It's the heatsink, and perhaps motherboard features that determine the fan.

Ram can be easy or tricky. Your challenge will probably be price, since RAM has skyrocketed in price, especially for older ram. You also need to know what kind of RAM your MB will support, what's the maximum size, whether it's already maxed out, and whether you have spare slots or must junk what you have.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:28 AM

The socket determines the heat sink which almost always comes with fan. If it's just the fan you want then yes it's measured in mm. The cost of a new heat sink with the fan is not much more than the fan itself especially when you consider shipping. It's not that complicated. Get a part number off the fan and reorder. All this discussion back and forth and sign of the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or