U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-09-2018, 05:51 PM
 
167 posts, read 78,189 times
Reputation: 253

Advertisements

Thanks ahead of time

Following what the internet tells me, I go to System preferences then sound. Go to output then nothing. It reads "No Output Devices found"

Sound in the top right corner is fogged so cannot adjust it as I've typically done the last 4 years.

So how can it find a device? I upgraded to Mac OS whatever you called it, still same problem.

Also went to activity monitor to shut off the audio, so did and still doesn't work

Shut down computer a few times keeping it off for a few minutes but no sound.


I dropped my macbook on pavement entering work last night. Volume worked for a while after the crash then stopped working.

Guess I need to figure out how to get the computer to recognize the devices inside it's belly??


Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2018, 10:06 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
Reputation: 3142
i would boot up something like fedora live-usb. if the sounds worx, then the mac os-x drivers are mash up; if the sound doesnt work, then the physical device is bruk up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
Reputation: 10448
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLeg View Post
Following what the internet tells me, I go to System preferences then sound. Go to output then nothing. It reads "No Output Devices found"...I dropped my macbook on pavement entering work last night. Volume worked for a while after the crash then stopped working.

Guess I need to figure out how to get the computer to recognize the devices inside it's belly??
Most likely you broke the hardware device and nothing short of surgery and a soldering iron is going to make it work again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 PM
 
167 posts, read 78,189 times
Reputation: 253
Thank you both

We ordered a sound board w/cable from ebay. Husband is going to install it.

The battery isn't holding a charge as it did either so we will replace that too.

I guess that is what the Genius Bar Guy told him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Bolton, CT
199 posts, read 201,279 times
Reputation: 113
Not sure if the sequence of events is

1. sound stopped working
2. you dropped it
3. then sound started working again for a bit
4. then sound stopped working again

or

1. you dropped it
2. no apparent issues for a while
3. then sound stopped working

But, in either case, it sounds like a physical connection on the board has been severed. If you go to the Apple Menu

 > About this Mac > System Report ... please copy/paste the Hardware Overview so we can get a better sense of what model this MacBook is. (you can omit the Serial Number and the Hardware UUID)

For example ... here is what i copied out of mine

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0103.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.13f15
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
Reputation: 10448
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
Not sure if...If you go to the Apple Menu

 > About this Mac > System Report ... please copy/paste the Hardware Overview...
The OP is 'Not A Member' and was apparently banned nearly a month ago. On top of that, his/her issue was *already* solved. Please pay attention...and it is generally helpful to read all the way through a thread to discover if the answer has been found so that you don't waste your time with unnecessary troubleshooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Bolton, CT
199 posts, read 201,279 times
Reputation: 113
I read through all 4 of the posts in this thread and saw no solution (still don’t). Not sure how I was supposed to know the OP was banned. Don’t worry, I’m “paying attention now” and will simply not interact with this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
Reputation: 10448
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
I read through all 4 of the posts in this thread and saw no solution (still don’t).
It was in post #4:
Quote:
Thank you both

We ordered a sound board w/cable from ebay. Husband is going to install it.

The battery isn't holding a charge as it did either so we will replace that too.
The sequence was clear- OP dropped machine, then sound stopped working. We identified that as the probable cause and they elected to replace the board.

Quote:
Not sure how I was supposed to know the OP was banned.
It says 'Not A Member' right below the alias name, that's what C-D puts when they kick someone off. You've been here since 2010, and you have not seen this before? Clicking on the alias name and checking the profile shows the last day of activity, it also shows a series of status updates that shows that the person apparently was having some 'issues' with some other folks which was likely the cause of his/her becoming 'Not A Member'.

Quote:
Don’t worry, I’m “paying attention now” and will simply not interact with this forum.
Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Bolton, CT
199 posts, read 201,279 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It was in post #4:
OK .. sounded to me like they ordered an external audio interface (because when was the last MacBook where the audio interface wasn't soldered to the logic board?) ... which is a work around. If that's the solution, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The sequence was clear- OP dropped machine, then sound stopped working. We identified that as the probable cause and they elected to replace the board.
Glad it was clear for you. The first post is out of sequence. Just wanted to clarify.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It says 'Not A Member' right below the alias name, that's what C-D puts when they kick someone off. You've been here since 2010, and you have not seen this before? Clicking on the alias name and checking the profile shows the last day of activity, it also shows a series of status updates that shows that the person apparently was having some 'issues' with some other folks which was likely the cause of his/her becoming 'Not A Member'
Not really in CD all that much other than a weather forum. Didn't know I had to research each user before I try to help. Don't worry, won't do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
Reputation: 10448
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
OK .. sounded to me like they ordered an external audio interface (because when was the last MacBook where the audio interface wasn't soldered to the logic board?) ... which is a work around. If that's the solution, so be it.
As I noted- surgery and a soldering iron would be required.



Quote:
Glad it was clear for you. The first post is out of sequence. Just wanted to clarify.
The clue is near the end- dropped, then stopped working. Some folks neglect to put the important stuff in until later, like the story about the cat dying, when it turns out that the cat died because the house burned down.


Quote:
Not really in CD all that much other than a weather forum. Didn't know I had to research each user before I try to help. Don't worry, won't do it again.
Well, the important part was 'Not A Member'- that's one of your major clues that you are wasting your time trying to 'help'. The rest is just the curiosity of finding out why he/she is 'Not A Member'.

Don't get bent out of shape. Not everything is as it appears to be here on C-D. If you are isolated to one particular forum you may not be aware of that. When you are troubleshooting, you need to be aware of both what is said, and what is *not* said, which requires attention and a bit of 'detective' work...and I'm not referring to the bit about 'why' he/she is 'not a member'- that's just a side lesson. Being a good 'detective' can be essential in solving computer problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:03 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top