U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 09:59 AM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
To a lot of Americans government is always the solution; not for me.
When you are dealing with essential services that involve monopolies it's a different ballgame. I'll offer you another example. Here in PA they deregulated the electric industry, I can choose to buy power from many different companies that generate electric. That is only possible because the power distributor is required to carry the power of these other companies. PA electric bills are itemized and the rate the distributor charges for distribution is always the same regardless of who is producing the power.

This is about as close as example you will get to NN you can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 AM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I didn't have any trouble with the Internet before 2015, so I imagine that it will be the same in the future.
I'm not sure if you quite understand but the internet you have been using for the past 20+ years has operated under the NN principle for the most part. When it hasn't the FCC has taken action.

Quote:
I am the consumer. If I don't like what my ISP does, then I choose another ISP. It's as simple as that.
Many people do not and will never have that choice.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:39 AM

9,569 posts, read 12,509,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Is this connected? This morning, when I tried to open my Firefox browser, I had a large page from Spectrum telling me to acceot and agree to their terms. It said if I click Continue, I accept their terms about privacy policy. Note those last two words. Important because I telephoned and asked what that was. She said 'oh, that's just an agreement not to do anything illegal, anything you are not supposed to do on a computer. That reply seems to contradict the "privacy policy" statement.

I was then told to click Continue to read more. With her on the phone, I clicked Continue, but I got nothing more. I was simply back on my browser.

Of course, I do not know what I'll find when I shut down soon and then re-boot later this morning.

Does all this seem to relate to what others here are experiencing? Thank you.
It's possible. Previously, ISP's were prohibited from selling activity associated with you. They could sell the generic search pattern of their customers as a whole, or in a a zip code, but they were prohibited from selling information connected to you specifically. Now, under the revised regulations, they are free to sell your activity by your account to whomever pays them.

Example, if you searched for genital warts information, they previously could only group that searched as something a customer of theirs searched. But, it could not be tagged to you, your account, name, address, I address, nothing. Under the changes, they can sell your name, address and searches. So a company manufacturing crotch cream can ask for everyone who searched anything related to genital nasties and market to you specifically.

If your ISP was previously a telecommunications service, their previous privacy policy would say they are prohibited by federal regulations from disclosing your specific search history. Under the changes, they are free to do so and a change to their privacy policy would be needed. You really need to find the actual policy and read it. Unfortunately, way too may people accept these privacy policy or terms and conditions as if its all good without ever reading them.

One last scary factor, under the change, the information service is not even required to offer an opt out option. So that make sit even more important to understand. Unfortunately, way too much of the marketing was focused on Net Neutrality with too many stupid people never reading how Net Neutrality was being eliminated.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:44 AM

2,712 posts, read 3,002,511 times
Thank you, Rabrrita. A man at B&N explained more of it. We just don't pay attention until it hits directly on us personally. I'll wager they have stayed up nights looking for all the possibility outs since NN died.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:23 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,287,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've had Charter threaten to cut off service for torrenting years ago.
haha. i Get them about once every other month for past 4 years and havent done squat... love they even give you the list of movies and songs you downloaded as a reminder to yourself.. now were on my PC did i put them. Like having your own movie list without knowing what you got.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:07 PM

6,816 posts, read 12,022,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
haha. i Get them about once every other month for past 4 years and havent done squat... love they even give you the list of movies and songs you downloaded as a reminder to yourself.. now were on my PC did i put them. Like having your own movie list without knowing what you got.
You need a VPN.. much cheaper than having the deal with the paranoia or buying those movies outright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or