U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 06:09 PM

858 posts, read 583,168 times

Advertisements

I just tried to find some free mp3 music. One minute after clicking into the first result, I lost my Internet data. This can't be coincidence.

But only the computer I was using was affected, my phone which is using same WiFi still works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 06:46 PM

7,678 posts, read 4,441,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I just tried to find some free mp3 music. One minute after clicking into the first result, I lost my Internet data. This can't be coincidence.

But only the computer I was using was affected, my phone which is using same WiFi still works.
Than it can't be due to anything your SP is doing. If your ISP cut off your service, the phone would be affected as well (at least when it's using your WiFi network).

Old 02-09-2018, 07:03 PM

858 posts, read 583,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Than it can't be due to anything your SP is doing. If your ISP cut off your service, the phone would be affected as well (at least when it's using your WiFi network).
I am speculating that they can target just certain computers? Maybe thru IP? its just too much of a coincidence.....

Or what are other possible reasons?

Old 02-09-2018, 08:57 PM

25,168 posts, read 18,675,659 times
I've had Charter threaten to cut off service for torrenting years ago.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:40 PM

9,573 posts, read 12,516,973 times
With the end of Net Neutrality, they can slow access to or block you from any website they want. They can now even prevent you from visiting their competitors website if they want.

Don't confuse blocking access to websites hosting illegal activity with the now legal blocking because they just don't want you to aces a specific website.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:18 PM

16,724 posts, read 29,321,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
With the end of Net Neutrality, they can slow access to or block you from any website they want. They can now even prevent you from visiting their competitors website if they want.

Don't confuse blocking access to websites hosting illegal activity with the now legal blocking because they just don't want you to aces a specific website.
Before net neutrality was passed by the Obama administration the internet was working fine, so I imagine that it will be the same now. Since the OP said that it only happened to his computer, is it possible that he downloaded a malware or something like that? There are plenty of malware apps on most websites where "free stuff" are offered. In fact, the simple act of searching for anything that is free, often brings you to an open door to malware.

But then since I am not an expert, take my words with a grain of salt.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:28 PM

20,704 posts, read 14,665,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post

It's just coincidence. Some internet sites are known to harm computers, or some just don't work very well.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:04 AM

588 posts, read 152,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation
I've had Charter threaten to cut off service for torrenting years ago.
Well doesnt that use ALOT OF BANDWIDTH?

I would understand them cutting off for that.....

Old 02-10-2018, 08:03 AM

40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Before net neutrality was passed by the Obama administration the internet was working fine, so I imagine that it will be the same now.
Before the formalization of those rules that is how it operated forever for the most part. There was many FCC actions against the ISP's going back years for when they broke the NN principle. For example there was an ISP that was blocking service to the VOIP service from Vonage service.

Verizon won a court case against the FCC shortly befor internet services were classified as common carrier. That ruling stated that Verizon could not be regulated under the NN rules because they were not a common carrier. With the Obama administration reclassifying them as common carrier the FCC's ability to enforce NN was reinstated.

By removal of this classification under Trump it effectively lifts all enforcement that has been carried out over the last 20+ years. The potential for change to the internet service you have been accustomed to for the past 20+ is very real.

As far as the OP question go. Could you ISP do this now? Certainly. Did they? Wjo knows.

This is going to open a can of worms, is my VOIP service slow because of my home network? Is it Ooma's servers that are slow? Or is my ISP throttling the traffic?

Old 02-10-2018, 08:07 AM

40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
Well doesnt that use ALOT OF BANDWIDTH?

I would understand them cutting off for that.....
My electric dryer uses a lot of electricity, my electric company charges me for it. There was nothing preventing an ISP from doing the same thing under NN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or