Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 05:05 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times

Advertisements

Well, my hard luck with laptops continues as the hard drive in my 14-month old HP just bit the dust. Won't boot and won't recover because the recovery files are in a second partition of the failed HD.

I've never opened up a laptop, but having built several desktops in years past (like the one I'm using now), I'm sure I can replace the drive myself.

My question is about re-installing Windows 10. I've read that you can download it to a USB drive and re-install from that, but I'm seeing conflicting reports on whether you have to pay for another license. You shouldn't have to for replacing a dead HD in the same computer. And, back in the day, you would just re-install from your original OS disk and there would be no problem. But today, you typically don't have an OS disk as the backup is on the same internal HD.

Has anyone done this and/or knows for sure whether you can download and activate free of charge in this scenario?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 05:12 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
download it from microsoft's webpage, a disc iso version

install it and use the key on the sticker of the laptop

Old 02-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
download it from microsoft's webpage, a disc iso version

install it and use the key on the sticker of the laptop
Thanks for your reply.

Problem is, I have no sticker anywhere that I can see, inside or out, with a windows key. Where would this normally be found?

Old 02-11-2018, 07:11 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
I have an Acer Aspire, and mine is on the bottom.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:53 AM

There was an answer posted here just half hour ago or so that I liked a lot, because I have no sticker or any documentation of a windows key on the original installation.

To that poster - was the info you posted not valid? Just wondering why the post is gone.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:58 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,631 times
If it is not on the computer then contact HP or whoever sold you the unit, they should have the number you need.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:10 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
Not sure how it works today, but a few years back I had the same problem. After downloading and installing windows, I called MS, and they reactivated it for me free of charge.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Not sure how it works today, but a few years back I had the same problem. After downloading and installing windows, I called MS, and they reactivated it for me free of charge.
Yep, that's the way it should work....or not even have to call at all, since it's just a hard drive replacement. I'm hoping that other poster was correct.

I'll find out soon, as I got the case open and removed the old drive. Now just have to go down to Best Buy and pick up a new HD and a couple of flash drives. With luck, I'll have it up and running later.

One other question occurred to me. What about formatting the new drive? Years ago I formatted many a drive using other installed drives or disk media. Will the Windows 10 download take care of that as well?

Old 02-11-2018, 09:36 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
On many newer machines the product key is embedded in the UEFI BIOS by the OEM.

Simply reinstalling Windows should cause it to find the key.

As for formatting, on a new installation Windows has always just prompted to format the drive if it's raw (or offered options to create / delete / format partitions on an already formatted drive). It's been a few years, but I'm sure that the feature was in the last Win10 installation that I installed one.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
On many newer machines the product key is embedded in the UEFI BIOS by the OEM.

Simply reinstalling Windows should cause it to find the key.

As for formatting, on a new installation Windows has always just prompted to format the drive if it's raw (or offered options to create / delete / format partitions on an already formatted drive). It's been a few years, but I'm sure that the feature was in the last Win10 installation that I installed one.
Now that you mention it, I do remember the formatting prompt on new Windows installations. I also added additional new drives to existing computers on several occasions and I guess that's what I had in mind when I asked the question.

Sounds like the activation should be easy and automatic.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers