U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:56 AM

2,712 posts, read 3,002,511 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else's Google search engine acting up? Or is it just mine and my friend's. I try to type in what I want and it puts in something else, refusing to change it as I type on. I can eliminate the unwanted part when I finish but not until then. Also, it brings up links that have nothing to do with what I am searching. There's more but it just isn't being normal. My friend's is doing similar misdeeds. For now I am trying Bing which does fairly well. Wiki is good but I think it does only its own site. Anyone else seeing a problem with Google search engine? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 05:11 AM

12 posts, read 3,869 times
I have noticed the similar thing by the time I click search its already what I never wanted in the first place, but I stick around because of the habit I guess. We are fairly used to what ever happens.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:21 AM

Exactly. And, while these are technical problems, Google itself has altered its type of links. Like, for example, just saying how often other people have visited a particular link instead of giving a brief introduction to the story you might want. And what it puts first? Try Googling "usps tracking". First you get a long list of links to other organizations that will search for you. "Usps tracking" official site is far down at the bottom.

But those last things are just Google changing its choices of links (and perhaps how it gets paid). It's the technicalities gone wrong that are frustrating. And, when you first open Google Search, are you getting a long row of icons beneath the bar? It can be hidden and is no problem. Just something else new. A shortcut to pages, maybe?

Old 02-12-2018, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 450 times
If i was you i would take a look at the question: what is Meta data. quick answer is: Meta data is data about data - also referring to how google crawler-bots understand your content / code / template.

If you need more info take a look at [url]http://www.seo-online.dk[/url] - there should be a english version there.

hope this helped

Old 02-12-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriettelarsen View Post
If i was you i would take a look at the question: what is Meta data. quick answer is: Meta data is data about data - also referring to how google crawler-bots understand your content / code / template.

If you need more info take a look at SEO Online | Søgemaskine Optimering - there should be a english version there.

hope this helped
Thanks. At this point my internet went out. I think I am back on now. Shall try.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:52 AM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Hazel you may have a malware infection, I see none of that behavior. Typing in USPS tracking for example brings up a form to directly input the tracking number followed by a bunch of links to USPS pages.

Download and run Malwarebytes.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Old 02-12-2018, 07:19 AM

But does it bring up the actual USPS page? Mine also brings up a place to track. But it isn't the official government usps site.

Nevertheless, I do have the Malwarebytes and will check things there. As I explained elsewhere (I think), a robot fixed it by resetting my modem. <G>

Old 02-12-2018, 07:30 AM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
When I type in USPS tracking at the very top of the results page is a form on googles page for typing in the tracking number. Directly below that is a bunch of links going directly to USPS pages.

Attached Thumbnails
Search Engine in Trouble?-2018-02-12.png  

Old 02-12-2018, 07:35 AM

5,813 posts, read 8,541,502 times
You have malware - good luck.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:54 AM

Ah, you get different page than I do. Wonder if it is because I use Mac. I just get a page full of links immediately. Interesting. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers