U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 05:01 PM

241 posts, read 141,818 times

Advertisements

I have Windows 10, 64 bits, and I began to have problems with Facebook videos, which were shown blackened, only on my side, of Facebook, bu not for others, watching my videos.

I received a statement from Microsoft that read. "Adobe Reader needs to be updated. Critical." So, I downloaded Adobe Reader for Windows latest version of 11.0 10.32. I am still receiving the Black videos in Facebook, today.

I have Google Chrome as my default browser, and Microsoft Edge.

Microsoft Edge was giving me difficulties last night, when I used it to get to YouTube, but today is working well.

But, I prefer to use Google Chrome, as my default browser. What can I do to make it work for Facebook, and to get rid of the blackened videos? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 10:14 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,960,319 times
I did not think Adobe Reader had anything to do with video. Also seems strange that Microsoft would say to update Adobe. Normally the message would come from Adobe.

I assume you have a virus. Run defender which should be on your system and turned on. Download Malwarebytes and run it. Free copy only.

Go to uninstall programs and see if you added any programs since the problem started. I would delete these if you do not know what they are. I would also delete the Adobe Reader. You can go to their site to download another copy. Look in your browsers for add on programs and disable all you do not know what they do.

I would also run the microsoft disk cleaner and do a defrag. Probably not related to your problem but part of cleaning up your computer.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:37 AM

3,820 posts, read 5,983,405 times
Adobe Reader is used to read .pdf files. It has nothing to do with videos. Updating it is never critical.

Is it possible the notification actually said you need to update Adobe Flash?

Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I did not think Adobe Reader had anything to do with video. Also seems strange that Microsoft would say to update Adobe. Normally the message would come from Adobe.

I assume you have a virus. Run defender which should be on your system and turned on. Download Malwarebytes and run it. Free copy only.

Go to uninstall programs and see if you added any programs since the problem started. I would delete these if you do not know what they are. I would also delete the Adobe Reader. You can go to their site to download another copy. Look in your browsers for add on programs and disable all you do not know what they do.

I would also run the microsoft disk cleaner and do a defrag. Probably not related to your problem but part of cleaning up your computer.

I did everything you have stated above and every video, or article, I share in Facebook, has the outline of a plug-in, in Black.

Malwarebytes found 80 pups, and they were sequestered. I removed Adobe Reader, ran Microsoft disk cleaner, had a McAfee full scan for one hour, disabled anything in Microsoft that was new, ran Defender, and still, nothing has changed. I do not install apps from Goggle Chrome, with the exception of Adblock Plus, which I have also deleted. Now, I have myriad of advertisements jiggling in front of my eyes, so I am going to restore it, tomorrow.

At this point, what should I do next? I am not very knowledgeable about computers. And,

I am very appreciated of all your help.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Make sure you UNCHECK the optional offers.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 AM

4,367 posts, read 2,363,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
I have Windows 10, 64 bits, and I began to have problems with Facebook videos, which were shown blackened, only on my side, of Facebook, bu not for others, watching my videos.

I received a statement from Microsoft that read. "Adobe Reader needs to be updated. Critical." So, I downloaded Adobe Reader for Windows latest version of 11.0 10.32. I am still receiving the Black videos in Facebook, today.

I have Google Chrome as my default browser, and Microsoft Edge.

Microsoft Edge was giving me difficulties last night, when I used it to get to YouTube, but today is working well.

But, I prefer to use Google Chrome, as my default browser. What can I do to make it work for Facebook, and to get rid of the blackened videos? Thank you,
You don't need adobe reader to view videos and you DON'T need adobe flash either. It is likely you fell for a download scam and installed an ad sever. MS never tells you to install a non-windows program.

Uninstall that crap and run a scan immediately with Windows defender. You might also want to download Malware Bytes (only from the manuf site) and run it to search for malicious programs.

Also if you don't have it already install ad-block Plus.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
You don't need adobe reader to view videos and you DON'T need adobe flash either. It is likely you fell for a download scam and installed an ad sever. MS never tells you to install a non-windows program.

Uninstall that crap and run a scan immediately with Windows defender. You might also want to download Malware Bytes (only from the manuf site) and run it to search for malicious programs.

Also if you don't have it already install ad-block Plus.

And where will I find the ''AD SERVER'' ? Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or