U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 05:38 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times

Advertisements

I've been using this recently and it's working well. Fast. The website explains why it's fast.

https://bvckup2.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 06:20 PM

4,635 posts, read 5,503,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Have you considered imaging the drive?
I do use Acronis for imaging whole drives, it works very well. These copies are for individual folders of stuff.

gguerra - Teracopy seems to work well, but for some reason it's quite slow, about 550MB/s as opposed to windows' 1.3GB/s. I'll mess with it some more.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:38 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
I have nearly the exact same situation, and am watching the answers.

For those to come, please keep in mind that the concern is lots of large files to be copied,
and NOT doing a backup, image, or such.

My best guess is to find a utility that dynamically optimizes the available RAM for it's copying cache. That's what TerraCopy does. If it's the best at this, is a different question.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:38 AM

Some other notes,
-I've found that the slowest files to move/copy between drives are .bmp stuff [pictures & photos] And I mean REEEALLY slow, like zooming along at 500MB/s then screeching on the brakes down to around 150KB/s. WTH is up wit that...? I may try to convert some to .jpg and see what happens.

-These newfangled M.2/NVMe drives are best PC invention since sliced bread, I'm getting amazing transfer speeds with those as promised, up to ~1.6GB/s.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:19 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I have nearly the exact same situation, and am watching the answers.

For those to come, please keep in mind that the concern is lots of large files to be copied,
and NOT doing a backup, image, or such.

My best guess is to find a utility that dynamically optimizes the available RAM for it's copying cache. That's what TerraCopy does. If it's the best at this, is a different question.
Triggered on an image comment.

The Bvckup program I mentioned allows choosing specific folders, etc. I have been using it to backup entire drives to a server so I've not tried filtering, but it is fast. Very fast.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:38 AM

3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
I do use Acronis for imaging whole drives, it works very well. These copies are for individual folders of stuff.

gguerra - Teracopy seems to work well, but for some reason it's quite slow, about 550MB/s as opposed to windows' 1.3GB/s. I'll mess with it some more.
Judging by the speeds you mention, these are not USB drives you speak of? My copies between my internal and external drives are much slower. My externals are still USB 2.X

Old 03-04-2018, 02:00 PM

Yup, my [new] internal M.2/NVMe drives are much faster than even my USB-3 drives. A 3GB movie moves over in two blinks.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:13 PM

Just another note that these M.2 drives probably require a whole new motherboard.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:08 PM

I just hadda pop back on here to post this quite relevant cartoon about an issue here:

Old 03-17-2018, 08:53 AM

1,644 posts, read 887,513 times
On the linux platform, there are two utilities that are both extremely fast and capable: dd and rsync. Either will do what you are looking for, but you will have to learn their command line options, and you will probably need to do a little regex-fu to limit the copy to only the particular files you want copied. If you first placed all the desired files you want mirrored in one directory, it would greatly simplify the commands.

As far as gui sync tools, I've used Beyond Compare for years, and still love it. They have both a Win and a linux version. I don't know about speed with BC, but since I just set it and forget it, neither do I care.

If you just want to clone the drive, Clonezilla is an exceptional tool. But, once again, it may not be for the faint-of-heart gui-only user. The interface is certainly way easier than using dd or rsync, but can be confusing at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or