U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:23 PM

241 posts, read 141,764 times

Advertisements

If you had problems with your computer that you were not able to fix, would you take it to Best Buy to be fixed, or would you let a company by the name of SafeKit.com, clear your computer of extra garbage, for a six months subscription, at $30?

I have a Windows 10, computer with some issues that I cannot detect, and have wasted myriad of time, trying to fix it.

Your opinion please, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 09:44 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
If those were the only two choices I had, I'd go with BestBuy.

IMO, I'd never let any company remotely "clear my computer of extra garbage", especially some no name company. And I wouldn't allow them to install any software under any circumstances.

Bet before I did either of those, I'd probably look for a highly rated local computer company, or post on a forum for help.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:54 PM

14,551 posts, read 9,057,715 times
I am anxious to see the answer, but this is exactly why I run Win7 64 bit on a computer I built myself.

I know not everyone is going to build their own computer, but it is always possible to own your own copy of the software. My computer is now 4 years old and does not have garbage or issues of any sort.
I will not upgrade to Win 10. In fact, if it were really up to me I would probably still be running Win 98 and browsing with Netscape Navigator.

My buddy's old Win XP laptop got so clogged up he just gave it to me. So I formatted the hard drive and installed my Win 7. Now I've got a nifty place to back up all my computer stuff in case my desktop goes on the blink.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:36 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I would buy a new computer before I went to Bestbuy. I've never heard good things.
Jas, you could just save everything you need to and start fresh with a fresh 10 install.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:42 AM

39,875 posts, read 57,710,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
If those were the only two choices I had, I'd go with BestBuy.
Best Buy is NOT a choice to even consider, IMHO.

Read this instead:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-deci...repair-2619039
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:46 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
Best Buy is the "Least Worst" chain franchise to get computers worked on.
The only generalization I can make (and I'm a hard-core computer hobbiest with a bunch of self-built systems under my belt), is to find a hole-in-the-wall shop run by someone who actually loves tinkering with 'em.

The hard part is to find these, and I finally heard a good way.
Find out which of your friends works for a big company. Ask them to ask their IT head who they use for local-outsourced repairs. That's about the only recommendation that seems to be credible.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:16 PM

241 posts, read 141,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I am anxious to see the answer, but this is exactly why I run Win7 64 bit on a computer I built myself.

I know not everyone is going to build their own computer, but it is always possible to own your own copy of the software. My computer is now 4 years old and does not have garbage or issues of any sort.
I will not upgrade to Win 10. In fact, if it were really up to me I would probably still be running Win 98 and browsing with Netscape Navigator.

My buddy's old Win XP laptop got so clogged up he just gave it to me. So I formatted the hard drive and installed my Win 7. Now I've got a nifty place to back up all my computer stuff in case my desktop goes on the blink.

I wish I were married to you. LOL:

Old 02-26-2018, 05:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,287,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Best Buy is the "Least Worst" chain franchise to get computers worked on.
The only generalization I can make (and I'm a hard-core computer hobbiest with a bunch of self-built systems under my belt), is to find a hole-in-the-wall shop run by someone who actually loves tinkering with 'em.

The hard part is to find these, and I finally heard a good way.
Find out which of your friends works for a big company. Ask them to ask their IT head who they use for local-outsourced repairs. That's about the only recommendation that seems to be credible.
Local community collages for IT will do it for free for most PC customers.

But yes, find a local PC dealer, stay far FAR!!!! AWAY from geekwads (best buy).. even office depot is getting the bad rap as well. They send them out to pc repair shops across country to get fixed. So try local community college or pop shops.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:22 PM

5,562 posts, read 3,842,689 times
You’ve been fighting this problem a good while. I thing I would just buy a new machine and have them demo it at the store.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:26 PM

4,367 posts, read 2,362,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I would buy a new computer before I went to Bestbuy. I've never heard good things.
Jas, you could just save everything you need to and start fresh with a fresh 10 install.
I have used Geeksquad (instore) after my Lenovo would not boot and they would not honor the warranty unless I purchased windows disks. I opted not to.

The GS was expensive (relatively) at $149 but they diagnosed the issue (bad hard drive) and didn't even pressure me to buy one there. I mail ordered one and they put it in and restored the OS included in the price so I thought that was decent of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or