Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 07:35 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You can still buy a lot of software packages. It's called a Perpetual license instead of Subscription license.

This pertains to Quicken and is a quote from another web site.

$40 on Amazon. If you read the reviews you may find information that can help.
https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Delux...078VVGN8C?th=1

I don't see a problem with losing online functionality. It's not Tax software so it doesn't really need updates.
True, the online functionality is not needed in many cases, but with the application that I purchased/installed, it is always available, without annual subscription fees.

I purchased the application directly from the the vendor, but I saw it on Amazon also. Sometimes I also wonder about the reviews that are posted on Amazon and other sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 07:58 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
Part of this comes from apps--we never used to pay monthly for say, iTunes or MusicMatch, but now it's easy to pay for Spotify or YouTube Red.

I'm new to photography and reason I'm not getting Adobe Lightroom and/or Photoshop is because that's $9.99-20 for LIFE. How does that make sense? Now for business owners and corporations this is where it works, but sucks for personal use.
$10-$20 per month may not sound like much for a corporation, or a business with about 1,000 people, BUT.. if that cost is per license/user, then I'm sure a lot of people will refuse to put up with.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:06 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Hey, Mike....thanks for the rep. I just wanted to ask you about your experience with the Sunset version of Money that you mentioned in the comment.

I downloaded Sunset and tried repeatedly to get it to work on Windows XP a few years back and could never get it to complete transaction number one - crashed every time. It would load and start....and then would never work.

I just now looked at the Microsoft download page again and it lists system requirements as "WinXP - SP3 Windows Vista Windows 7". Just curious - have you tried it with Windows 10?

Old 02-27-2018, 08:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Microsoft started the trend with their Office 365 -- after discovering that unless required to do so, people did not agree with that the constant, often meaningless upgrades, justified buying a 'new' software package.

The trend will likely continue as long as it is profitable.
The issue for them is most people will never utilize the features in Word 97 let alone the newest version. The longevity of an OS is the determining factor for upgrading. Windows 10 is also supposed be the last "version" of Windows.

Haven't looked recently but you may want to explore options for open source programs. Before deciding on such a software package be sure to check import/export capabilities and one that is actively being developed. One thing that will be common with them is they will all be using open source protocols so transferring from one open source software package to another should not be that difficult.

No suggestions but this site has 10 of them listed.
https://www.thebalance.com/top-free-...programs-14071

Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I sincerely doubt MS will ever charge for Windows.
As I understand it Win10 will be the last "version" e.g they will probably drop the 10 in the future and simply call it Windows. Their intention appears to be charging for upgrades, while not a subscription it's pretty close.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
True, the online functionality is not needed in many cases, but with the application that I purchased/installed, it is always available, without annual subscription fees.

I purchased the application directly from the the vendor, but I saw it on Amazon also. Sometimes I also wonder about the reviews that are posted on Amazon and other sites.
I suggested to read the reviews to give you more insight on not renewing the subscription, not to actually review the product.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:28 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Hey, Mike....thanks for the rep. I just wanted to ask you about your experience with the Sunset version of Money that you mentioned in the comment.

I downloaded Sunset and tried repeatedly to get it to work on Windows XP a few years back and could never get it to complete transaction number one - crashed every time. It would load and start....and then would never work.

I just now looked at the Microsoft download page again and it lists system requirements as "WinXP - SP3 Windows Vista Windows 7". Just curious - have you tried it with Windows 10?
My wife uses the Sunset version on Windows 10 just fine. I might have had to tweak something to get it to work after she upgraded, but it was a Windows 8 laptop before upgrading to 10, so it was already working on there.

I think the only thing that doesn't really work is downloading transactions from the bank, but Money was never very good at dealing with those transactions anyway. I know that one bank stopped supporting the Money format several years ago, and while the other one still supports them, Money constantly made a mess out of them with double entries and mismatched transactions, so she stopped using the feature.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:40 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Photoshop and the other Adobe products have frequent software updates.

I can't even imagine the tech support nightmare of trying to support the 50 billion versions out there. Keeping people on the subscription model must really help with that, though of course the primary reason is the $$$$$$$$$$.

As a professional, I think $9.99 for the Photoshop only monthly membership is a good deal that they offer only because of how angry the photographers were when they went to the subscription-only model. They really want people paying $50 for the whole shebang. (Try quitting and you'll find they become more flexible on the price). If $10/month sounds like a lot, there are always the free versions of editing software out there - https://www.gimp.org/ and MS Paint, for instance.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:42 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You're wrong....in your interpretation of what I said and about kids generally.

I'm not blaming it on kids....just saying kids are much more likely to accept that it's how it is and will be. Look at all the crap they subscribe to. It ain't seniors paying for worthless music streaming subscriptions.
They're not worthless if they're used every month. It's like paying for a cable channel.

Personally I'm not willing to pay any money for cable anymore, but I do have a few internet TV channels and 1 music subscription for far less money than I used to pay Time Warner.

Not that I'm a kid.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:54 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
They're not worthless if they're used every month. It's like paying for a cable channel.

Personally I'm not willing to pay any money for cable anymore, but I do have a few internet TV channels and 1 music subscription for far less money than I used to pay Time Warner.

Not that I'm a kid.
Yes, both worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers