U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:00 AM

9,058 posts, read 6,392,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
My wife uses the Sunset version on Windows 10 just fine. I might have had to tweak something to get it to work after she upgraded, but it was a Windows 8 laptop before upgrading to 10, so it was already working on there.

I think the only thing that doesn't really work is downloading transactions from the bank, but Money was never very good at dealing with those transactions anyway. I know that one bank stopped supporting the Money format several years ago, and while the other one still supports them, Money constantly made a mess out of them with double entries and mismatched transactions, so she stopped using the feature.
Thanks, maybe I'll take another look at it....though Money 98 does everything I need and works perfectly with Windows 10 other than losing the mouse pointer on the transaction entry window until you tab a couple of times. No biggy, once you get used to it. I never did use any of the online features or wanted to.

I'll have to check it out, though, for curiosity's sake, if nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 11:57 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
It ain't seniors paying for worthless music streaming subscriptions.
I know a lot of... not kids... paying for Spotify. Hulu. Netflix.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:53 PM

872 posts, read 1,661,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You're wrong....in your interpretation of what I said and about kids generally.

I'm not blaming it on kids....just saying kids are much more likely to accept that it's how it is and will be. Look at all the crap they subscribe to. It ain't seniors paying for worthless music streaming subscriptions.
Agreed on kids being more ready go subscribe.

A little of a bait-and-switch, but we're culturally primed.

The same mentality for paying $x.99 for Spotify or Netflix then gets one conditioned to be ok paying $2x per month for Adobe for LIFE. I can't see how paying subscription ever for anything for personal use on desktop is ever a good deal unless you're just rich. Difference with the software is for personal use there are many free or fixed-cost alternatives--for now at least. At the work place, anyway corporations take the hit.

I don't know how this is hitting small business owners though.

Where I disagree is on the "crap" and "worthless". I still can't believe how good a deal Netflix is. I'd pay three times the amount and it would STILL be a good choice. Virtually unlimited on-demand entertainment, insane.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:40 PM

But Microsoft still sells stand alone software. Cheaper then it's ever been, too.

https://products.office.com/en-us/co...7_SEM_cV7dB00o

$150.
All this subscription stuff is really aimed at businesses. However, if you have 2 kids going to college maybe you spring for the $99 a year package that gives you 5 copies of MS Office to use on 5 different computers. That is pretty cool. I have Office installed on 3 computer and my phone and my tablet.
And it's not just all "updates nobody wants". Office 2016 has a lot of NICE features that 2007 and earlier don't. The new Outlook feature where you click Attach and it shows you the last 10 documents you had open: that is SO freaking cool. MS also switched to an xml version of documents in later versions, a big perk of which is that documents are more compatible with other software and they take up a lot less space.
No one is buying Adobe Acrobat Pro for home use. Or Photoshop. Adobe is the one I can't stand.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:04 PM

52,155 posts, read 30,215,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
But Microsoft still sells stand alone software. Cheaper then it's ever been, too.

https://products.office.com/en-us/co...7_SEM_cV7dB00o

$150.
All this subscription stuff is really aimed at businesses. However, if you have 2 kids going to college maybe you spring for the $99 a year package that gives you 5 copies of MS Office to use on 5 different computers. That is pretty cool. I have Office installed on 3 computer and my phone and my tablet.
And it's not just all "updates nobody wants". Office 2016 has a lot of NICE features that 2007 and earlier don't. The new Outlook feature where you click Attach and it shows you the last 10 documents you had open: that is SO freaking cool. MS also switched to an xml version of documents in later versions, a big perk of which is that documents are more compatible with other software and they take up a lot less space.
No one is buying Adobe Acrobat Pro for home use. Or Photoshop. Adobe is the one I can't stand.
I have Office 2016 complete suite that I got from my previous employer, I purchased it from Microsoft with a big discount because I worked at a company that used a lot of Microsoft products.

Can't blame you for not liking Adobe, they're a rip-off.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:21 PM

5,447 posts, read 2,653,533 times
Quote:
I sincerely doubt MS will ever charge for Windows.
I think Adobe might have been first, actually. In any event... yea. It will continue as long as people keep paying it...
At least MS continues to offer standalone products.
I think it was the Autodesk products that first started with subscriptions.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:23 AM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Businesses are the ones almost being forced into this model. Photoshop... there is NO other option then to rent it. Adobe Acrobat Pro: no other option. And these 2 products are, no question, the best at what they do.
The primary issue is companies that got on the train early have become so embedded in many industries it's impossible for any software to compete. Are you going to risk exporting an Adobe format from like .AI or .PDF rom some other software and sending it to the boss? Had there been open file standards adopted early on that were aggressively developed that might not be the case.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:49 AM

Well PDF is a bad example. Prior to the subscription model my office had 6 copies of Acrobat Standard and 3 copies of Acrobat professional. Fast forward to today: we have one copy of Pro and the IT Guys computer (me). I have 6 people on Foxit and 2 on PowerPDF (Nuance).
So..yea... how'd that work out for ya' Adobe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or