U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:00 AM

52,155 posts, read 30,215,041 times

Advertisements

About 2 months ago, I was looking at upgrading my Intuit Quicken financial management application. I went to Best Buy to see what's out there and I got disgusted with the trend I was seeing. They had 3 or 4 different versions of Qucken with different price ranges between $60 and $300, BUT.. when you purchase the software, it'll be good for only 1 year and you'll have to pay to renew it! What's up with this? Software companies want to squeeze as much money out of you as possible? That's not a good way to retain customers or get new ones.

I ended up purchasing a better financial management application online from a different vendor and it can be installed on up to 5 computers, and the best part is, I don't have to pay an annual subscription renewal fee.

I know other companies like Microsoft also do this with their Office products, and from what I hear, their operating systems will also have annual subscriptions. How long do you think this trend in software will last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 10:09 AM

9,039 posts, read 11,220,900 times
Microsoft started the trend with their Office 365 -- after discovering that unless required to do so, people did not agree with that the constant, often meaningless upgrades, justified buying a 'new' software package.

The trend will likely continue as long as it is profitable.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 AM

52,155 posts, read 30,215,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Microsoft started the trend with their Office 365 -- after discovering that unless required to do so, people did not agree with that the constant, often meaningless upgrades, justified buying a 'new' software package.

The trend will likely continue as long as it is profitable.
I can't see myself paying annual subscription fees, that's why I will not purchase such software. Over time, I think everyone will get tired of feeding software companies' greed.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:49 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I sincerely doubt MS will ever charge for Windows.
I think Adobe might have been first, actually. In any event... yea. It will continue as long as people keep paying it...
At least MS continues to offer standalone products.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:22 PM

3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
You can still buy a lot of software packages. It's called a Perpetual license instead of Subscription license.

This pertains to Quicken and is a quote from another web site.

Quote:
Actually, all you have to do is buy the subscription for the Deluxe version or better (not the Starter version which requires a perpetual subscription), then opt out of the renewal. Your copy of Quicken can continue to be used perpetually, though at the end of your subscription period you will lose all online functionality.
$40 on Amazon. If you read the reviews you may find information that can help.
https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Delux...078VVGN8C?th=1

I don't see a problem with losing online functionality. It's not Tax software so it doesn't really need updates.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:33 AM

9,058 posts, read 6,392,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
About 2 months ago, I was looking at upgrading my Intuit Quicken financial management application. I went to Best Buy to see what's out there and I got disgusted with the trend I was seeing. They had 3 or 4 different versions of Qucken with different price ranges between $60 and $300, BUT.. when you purchase the software, it'll be good for only 1 year and you'll have to pay to renew it! What's up with this? Software companies want to squeeze as much money out of you as possible? That's not a good way to retain customers or get new ones.

I ended up purchasing a better financial management application online from a different vendor and it can be installed on up to 5 computers, and the best part is, I don't have to pay an annual subscription renewal fee.

I know other companies like Microsoft also do this with their Office products, and from what I hear, their operating systems will also have annual subscriptions. How long do you think this trend in software will last?
I'm with you, Mike. Never have and never will buy any subscription software. But many/most kids today have been conditioned to accept this and many have no idea that it was ever any different. They're much more likely to go along and the kids are where the revenues of the future will come from. So I wouldn't predict the slowing of this trend anytime soon. Subscription software is easy money.

I just hold on to what works and have found that older software versions (like Microsoft Money, for example) are often better than their "updated" versions anyway.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:39 AM

872 posts, read 1,661,069 times
Part of this comes from apps--we never used to pay monthly for say, iTunes or MusicMatch, but now it's easy to pay for Spotify or YouTube Red.

I'm new to photography and reason I'm not getting Adobe Lightroom and/or Photoshop is because that's $9.99-20 for LIFE. How does that make sense? Now for business owners and corporations this is where it works, but sucks for personal use.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:08 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'm with you, Mike. Never have and never will buy any subscription software. But many/most kids today have been conditioned to accept this and many have no idea that it was ever any different.
Many? Most kids? No... this is one you cannot blame on 'kids'. No 'kid' wants to pay $10 a month for Word. No 'kid' wants to pay $10 / month for Photoshop. Kids are smart enough to find free alternatives like Open Office and WinGIMP.
Businesses are the ones almost being forced into this model. Photoshop... there is NO other option then to rent it. Adobe Acrobat Pro: no other option. And these 2 products are, no question, the best at what they do.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:15 AM

8,796 posts, read 5,877,164 times
I don't pay subscriptions for anything. If they want a yearly "license fee," I'll look for a open version, I use Apache Open Office for most of my tools (Word, Excel, Paint, Draw, Access, Powerpoint alternatives - plus it has other features) and it is completely free.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:26 AM

9,058 posts, read 6,392,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Many? Most kids? No... this is one you cannot blame on 'kids'. No 'kid' wants to pay $10 a month for Word. No 'kid' wants to pay $10 / month for Photoshop. Kids are smart enough to find free alternatives like Open Office and WinGIMP.
Businesses are the ones almost being forced into this model. Photoshop... there is NO other option then to rent it. Adobe Acrobat Pro: no other option. And these 2 products are, no question, the best at what they do.
You're wrong....in your interpretation of what I said and about kids generally.

I'm not blaming it on kids....just saying kids are much more likely to accept that it's how it is and will be. Look at all the crap they subscribe to. It ain't seniors paying for worthless music streaming subscriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or