U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2018, 07:51 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,697 posts, read 41,963,432 times
Reputation: 30739

Advertisements

When SpaceX launched their heavy rocket recently I apparently inadvertently subscribed to Space.com bulletins that just pop up in their own window. The space.com website has a 'Subscribe' button but no way I can find to unsubscribe, Emails to them go unanswered.

Any advice/tips would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2018, 10:21 PM
 
Location: 5,400 feet
2,750 posts, read 2,695,651 times
Reputation: 3924
This is from their web site:
Sorry for your trouble. Here is how to unsubscribe from those alerts:

When you visit Space.com, a pop-up window asks you if you want to receive notifications of new stories being posted. You may have clicked “allow.” In the future, select “block” if this window pops up, or just close the window.

The next time one of these notifications appears on your screen, click the little gear symbol in the lower left corner of the box. This will take you to the settings page for the web browser you are using. (For chrome, it’s this: chrome://settings/content). Under the section about notifications (clicking the gear symbol should take you straight there) enter “http://www.space.com” and select “block.” Or, Space.com may already be on the list and you can just select “block.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
11,307 posts, read 17,865,590 times
Reputation: 28687
You didn’t say which browser you use, but there are some good, clear instructions here for a few of them:

https://lifehacker.com/disable-those...and-1822154599
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 06:45 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,697 posts, read 41,963,432 times
Reputation: 30739
I thank you both for the help but, I'm using Chrome and checked, as I thought I'd already entered space.com to be blocked in the advanced settings yet the windows continue to appear. I guess I'll have to wait 'til another appears and see if perhaps there's a forward slash or some other symbol in the URL i need to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:18 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,697 posts, read 41,963,432 times
Reputation: 30739
OK, just got another one of these pop notifications. At the top of the window it shows only "www.space.com", I have both that and the longer http yada, yada, yada in the advanced settings to be blocked yet it still appears. Is it time for mystical incantations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
11,307 posts, read 17,865,590 times
Reputation: 28687
Thanks to your thread, I've turned the switch in settings that allows these annoying browser notifications to pop up at all to off: Security & Privacy -- > Content Settings --> Notifications -- > Ask before sending

If adding it to the block list and turning off "ask before sending" both didn't help, I wonder if you cleared your browser cache? The shortcut to that part of settings is control-shift-delete.

Lastly, I finally solved a long annoying Firefox pop-up problem I was having by uninstalling and reinstalling the browser, so you might try that with chrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 10:57 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,697 posts, read 41,963,432 times
Reputation: 30739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Thanks to your thread, I've turned the switch in settings that allows these annoying browser notifications to pop up at all to off: Security & Privacy -- > Content Settings --> Notifications -- > Ask before sending

If adding it to the block list and turning off "ask before sending" both didn't help, I wonder if you cleared your browser cache? The shortcut to that part of settings is control-shift-delete.

Lastly, I finally solved a long annoying Firefox pop-up problem I was having by uninstalling and reinstalling the browser, so you might try that with chrome.

I failed to turn off "ask before sending", just did that. I notice in the section for clearing things there are 3 choices, clear browsing history, cookies, cached images & files. I'm always a bit unsure of just what I may lose that maybe I didn't want to by doing these things. Would I just clear the cached images & files or all 3?

I think I'll wait a bit and see if turning off the "ask before sending" has any affect even though it never asked before these windows appeared.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
11,307 posts, read 17,865,590 times
Reputation: 28687
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I notice in the section for clearing things there are 3 choices, clear browsing history, cookies, cached images & files. I'm always a bit unsure of just what I may lose that maybe I didn't want to by doing these things. Would I just clear the cached images & files or all 3?

I think I'll wait a bit and see if turning off the "ask before sending" has any affect even though it never asked before these windows appeared.

Thanks for your help!
The main annoyance of clearing your cache is the you will have to re-enter your user name and password to websites like city-data, where you may have had them stored. Losing the images means some sites will take a little bit longer to load next time you visit, as you no longer have the images stored on your computer.

I hope the block notification switch will solve the problem for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 12:31 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,697 posts, read 41,963,432 times
Reputation: 30739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The main annoyance of clearing your cache is the you will have to re-enter your user name and password to websites like city-data, where you may have had them stored. Losing the images means some sites will take a little bit longer to load next time you visit, as you no longer have the images stored on your computer.

I hope the block notification switch will solve the problem for you.

Well, after I blocked the notification switch I got another space.com thingie. Thinking I might have to restart the computer to make it effective I cleared cookies and the cached files & images, left the browsing history be, and restarted the computer. Oddly enough I remained signed in to C-D. It remains to be seen what will happen next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 11:28 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,697 posts, read 41,963,432 times
Reputation: 30739
Three days and no updates from space , I'm cautiously optimistic.

Thanks for the help folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top