U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 05:24 PM

5,110 posts, read 1,710,305 times

Advertisements

Okay thanks, well I guess it depends on what the cost is. The software is Movie Magic Screenwriter, by the write brothers, if that helps.

So you are saying that since mac is still a windows based pc, that it should move onto my PC no problem from the mac, is that what you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 06:26 PM

4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
So you are saying that since mac is still a windows based pc, that it should move onto my PC no problem from the mac, is that what you mean?
no, i was trying to be funny and explain that ms-windows based laptops, linux laptops, mac-os laptops, chromebooks, bsd, ... are still personal computers no matter what operating system/s is installed.

its unlikely that software written for one operating system will run on another operating system without recompiling.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 03-01-2018 at 06:39 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Okay thanks, got ya. The disc has both mac and PC versions on it, but used the mac version before, and now want to use the PC one, want to figure out a way to get around this serial number issue. There must be some way to do it...

Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 PM

5,372 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Disconnect your computer from your internet connection.
Turn off WiFI.

Now try to install, and use the serial number you have to activate, but not register.

I have a programme that does a similar thing as you have.
So I did as suggested above.
The only thing it does from then on is asking me to upgrade, and I keep saying "no"!

Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 PM

4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
Quote:
Okay thanks, got ya. The disc has both mac and PC versions on it, but used the mac version before, and now want to use the PC one, want to figure out a way to get around this serial number issue. There must be some way to do it...
yup. its called software piracy.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:10 PM

Okay thanks. But I don't consider it as me pirating them since I own the disk and should be able to use it, and payed for it.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:20 PM

851 posts, read 502,720 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. But I don't consider it as me pirating them since I own the disk and should be able to use it, and payed for it.
Can't argue with this, call customer service and give them the same argument.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:37 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,705,958 times
Quote:
Your ownership of the disk is, frankly, irrelevant. If I buy a copy of Windows server, that doesn't entitle me to install it on every machine in an entire data center.

What you have is a license to use the software within specific limits. You've hit the limit. And that's to say nothing of the fact that you never legitimately purchased a license to begin with, they just happened to not have the tools in place to catch you when you initially violated the terms of the license agreement.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:39 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,705,958 times
Quote:
Your ownership of the disk is, frankly, irrelevant. If I buy a copy of Windows server, that doesn't entitle me to install it on every machine in an entire data center.

What you have is a license to use the software within specific limits. You've hit one of those limits. And that's to say nothing of the fact that you never legitimately purchased a license to begin with; they just happened to not have the tools in place to catch you when you initially violated the terms of the license agreement.

If you don't like the licensing terms, don't buy the software. But don't pirate someone's hard work just because you feel entitled to it because 11+ years ago you paid some college student to get you a student license that you weren't entitled to.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 PM

Oh okay. Well I thought I was entitled to it, since I got him to give it to me and he had no problem giving it to me.

Plus I could get him to call them up, and even though he doesn't have the proof anymore, he can just say what serial number he has, and it would match their records of him having that number, and thus having proof, wouldn't it?

Like if I don't have proof, but he were to just kindly ask them to check their records and they will see that the serial number was purchased by him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or