U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:18 PM

4,339 posts, read 121,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
What I mean is that I got a student to by it for me and then I payed him back, back then.

And yes the serial number has been exceeded in how many times I can use it. I don't think I have a receipt. I asked the buyer if he has it but he cannot remember as that was over 10 years ago. I can try calling then.

I don't want to get a new program though, cause then I would have to learn the ropes of a new program where as I like being able to get things done quicker, especially at this time now, when I am busy, and would like to keep using the old one therefore, if possible.

I could call them but I cannot find the proof of purchase, so then what?

Call them and tell them your disk crashed on your last installation and you can’t recover the disk, so you lst the serno.
If they ask, Give them the orig. buyer’s name.
Be friendly and they may be able to reset your install count for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:20 PM

5,110 posts, read 1,711,676 times
Okay thanks, but I have the serial number. Since I have it, why should I say I lost it? I don't have a physical license, like asked before, but I do have the serial number.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:53 PM

4,887 posts, read 2,501,496 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. But I don't consider it as me pirating them since I own the disk and should be able to use it, and payed for it.
not a fan of e.u.l.a.'s but the contract you agreed to explicitly states how many pc's (or macs, groan) you can install it to. also, i am assuming you already violated the terms because i doubt you are allowed to sell a discounted student evaluation license to a non-student.

what you are asking for is advice on how to bypass the authentication of commercial software.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 03-01-2018 at 10:06 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 10:01 PM

Yeah that's true I did agree to it. Not sure if a non-student can buy it for someone else, it didn't say anything about that in the contract back then, so I didn't think it would be a problem, or give it much thought.

I can get the student to call them then and say he has the serial number if that is enough to get them to comfirm their records and give me some new re-installs.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Oh okay. Well I thought I was entitled to it, since I got him to give it to me and he had no problem giving it to me.

Plus I could get him to call them up, and even though he doesn't have the proof anymore, he can just say what serial number he has, and it would match their records of him having that number, and thus having proof, wouldn't it?

Like if I don't have proof, but he were to just kindly ask them to check their records and they will see that the serial number was purchased by him?
i guess, read the e.u.l.a.; theres probably a warrenty support period of probably a few years. it would be expensive for companies to continue to train tech support staff on every version. most manufacturers support the current version and previous version and state the users must upgrade to the latest in order to guarantee a working product.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:10 PM

Yeah but that's what I was trying to avoid cause every time I upgrade in programs, not only does it cost more, but I have to learn all these new things. I have a lot of work I want to get done, and I want to 'do', and not 'learn more'.

I don't see why tech support has to be trained on an old version, they just have to give me more installs. How much training is involved for that really? But if that's the case, perhaps I could find another way around it.

I found the license agreement and it says that it can only give you a certain number of copies and that's it. It does not say what to do after that, if all the copies are used up. I also found that the registration is in my name and not the students. Even though the student bought it online for me, the registration is in my name.

Last edited by ironpony; 03-01-2018 at 10:57 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 07:39 AM

^ i'd imagine the install process for windows-xp is different from the install for android v.7 and so the tech would have to know how to install on various platforms (some of which the operating system is out of support).

Old 03-02-2018, 05:34 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Unbelievable.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:38 AM

20,534 posts, read 20,523,898 times
Quote:
I found the license agreement and it says that it can only give you a certain number of copies and that's it. It does not say what to do after that, if all the copies are used up. .
Since you've obviously used up all the copies that were allowed, what to do next doesn't have to be spelled out. Shell out.
Maybe you can get lucky and buy one from someplace like eBay that has some use left.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:56 PM

But I was told on here, that people are not allow to sell to non-students, so would that be okay then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or