U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2018, 09:13 PM
 
5,110 posts, read 1,710,305 times
Reputation: 1489

Advertisements

I bought a program for screenwriting on disk back in 2006, and it still serves me well today, since nothing really has changed much.

However, I have already downloaded it from the disk onto three computers over the years and it will not allow me to download it a fourth time.

Back when I got it, I got it from someone who was a student since students have a much better and cheaper time, purchasing it, so it's not like I can call them up asking for help.

Does anyone know how to put it on the computer, if the program will not allow it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2018, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Reputation: 8055
You install from a disk, not download.
How is it not allowing you to install it? Failing an activation check, or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
Reputation: 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I bought a program for screenwriting on disk back in 2006, and it still serves me well today, since nothing really has changed much.

However, I have already downloaded it from the disk onto three computers over the years and it will not allow me to download it a fourth time.

Back when I got it, I got it from someone who was a student since students have a much better and cheaper time, purchasing it, so it's not like I can call them up asking for help.

Does anyone know how to put it on the computer, if the program will not allow it?
You say you "got it from someone who was a student" and you also say "you bought a program".
It sounds like you purchased the install disk from an individual, not the software company itself.
If so, they what you got could have been 'pirated', IE: the activation code / serial number / CD-Key whatever they call it, could have been used on other machines too.
The serial number may be allowed only a certain number of installs, and this may have been exceeded.

Also, some software are sold with the Terms and Conditions (T&C, aka Fine Print) stating that there is a limited number of installs.

Also, some software are sold with a limited number of installs for each serial number as a piracy blocker, but they don't tell you this.

So there are several possibilities.

First: see if you can find proof that you are a 'legitimate' owner, IE: you have a purchase receipt or such.
Next: see if you can find the T&C, if not on your records then from the software vendor's website.

If I were you, and I could find a proof of purchase from them, I'd phone up (or directly email) the software company and just ask them.

Microsoft is like this. A lot of their software has a limit to the number of times a specific serial number can be used to limit piracy, but if you contact them, you are basically reassuring them that you're not a pirate and they'll just give you an all-new serial number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 07:06 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
Reputation: 3142
^ +1; also, assuming mac-os, perhaps it worx on old mac but the latest os is missing some dependency ?

if it is a licence restriction then your only option would be to pony up some more cash. i would switch to some open source program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 04:01 PM
 
5,110 posts, read 1,710,305 times
Reputation: 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
You say you "got it from someone who was a student" and you also say "you bought a program".
It sounds like you purchased the install disk from an individual, not the software company itself.
If so, they what you got could have been 'pirated', IE: the activation code / serial number / CD-Key whatever they call it, could have been used on other machines too.
The serial number may be allowed only a certain number of installs, and this may have been exceeded.

Also, some software are sold with the Terms and Conditions (T&C, aka Fine Print) stating that there is a limited number of installs.

Also, some software are sold with a limited number of installs for each serial number as a piracy blocker, but they don't tell you this.

So there are several possibilities.

First: see if you can find proof that you are a 'legitimate' owner, IE: you have a purchase receipt or such.
Next: see if you can find the T&C, if not on your records then from the software vendor's website.

If I were you, and I could find a proof of purchase from them, I'd phone up (or directly email) the software company and just ask them.

Microsoft is like this. A lot of their software has a limit to the number of times a specific serial number can be used to limit piracy, but if you contact them, you are basically reassuring them that you're not a pirate and they'll just give you an all-new serial number.
What I mean is that I got a student to by it for me and then I payed him back, back then.

And yes the serial number has been exceeded in how many times I can use it. I don't think I have a receipt. I asked the buyer if he has it but he cannot remember as that was over 10 years ago. I can try calling then.

I don't want to get a new program though, cause then I would have to learn the ropes of a new program where as I like being able to get things done quicker, especially at this time now, when I am busy, and would like to keep using the old one therefore, if possible.

I could call them but I cannot find the proof of purchase, so then what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Reputation: 8055
Do you have access to any of the older installs? You need to remove it from there. Otherwise your only other option is to call the company and explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
Reputation: 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
What I mean is that I got a student to by it for me and then I payed him back, back then.
I'm pretty sure because of this that you don't qualify as a 'legitimate owner'. IE: the software's fine print probably doesn't allow for resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
And yes the serial number has been exceeded in how many times I can use it.
Because of the above, you're probably not a "legal" (per their Terms and Conditions) owner. This means that you can't phone them to get a free replacement S#.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I don't want to get a new program though, ...
If you had purchased the produce the way 'they wanted you to', then as a 'legal owner', when you phoned for a working S#, they would have given you a new S# for the old product. Not a new S# for the current version. (That would have constituted an "upgrade" for which they may have wanted more money.)


Your next best shot would be to try to duplicate your first acquisition.
Try to buy a different serial number for the version you're currently using. Use that during your 're-'install attempt.
You could try contacting the software firm as someone who wants to buy the old version. Don't mention past S#s, just say you're a happy user of the old version and want to purchase another license. Some firms sell S#s for older versions for a discount. It brings in money, and maybe leads to more money as they hope you'll buy the upgrade to current versions.
Or get on Craig's List and such, asking for people who have the product and still have installs left on their number to sell it to you. Make sure they understand that they can't use it after you buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 04:25 PM
 
5,110 posts, read 1,710,305 times
Reputation: 1489
Okay thanks, but I did buy this disk and it's mine so I feel it's a rip off to pay for another license. I mean when I buy a movie on DVD I don't have to pay for when I watch it every three times for example.

Is there a way of using the program off the disk, that I don't have to pay for, and feel ripped off?

I could call the company and explain but I have no proof of ownership cause the person who bought it for me, does not have it anymore. But I have the disk in it's proper case, sitting right in my house, and the person who gave it to me, will say that they gave it to me after buying it. Isn't that proof enough, that it's right here? My older computer was a mac and I have a PC now, but I cannot move the mac version onto my PC. The disk has both mac and PC version on it, but I only used the mac version before. Now I want to install the PC version on my PC, but cannot.

I don't have the mac anymore, cause it's my parents and I used it way back when I lived with them, but I would like to use my new PC and get the PC version off the disk and working on my current computer.

Is this possible. I can send them a photo of the disk, which I bought, if that's proof enough. How about this... In their records, they would have a record of who bought that serial number, right? So if I could get that person to call and confirm, would that be enough? That person no longer has proof, but the company that made the program, would still have that person matching the serial number in their records, so could they check their own as proof?

Last edited by ironpony; 03-01-2018 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 04:40 PM
 
851 posts, read 502,720 times
Reputation: 2808
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Is there a way of using the program off the disk, that I don't have to pay for, and feel ripped off?
Seriously? Over 10 years after you got one over on the maker by getting a discount you weren't entitled to and installing it multiple times...you don't want to feel ripped off? Pay up and move on to more productive uses of your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 04:44 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
Reputation: 3142
^ [i'm being obtuse]. macintoshes are still personal computers so i assume you mean you also installed it on your windows based pc. <@

so without knowing this mythical company and their e.u.l.a policy, its hard for us to judge. you may need to call several times pleading your case and maybe eventually youll get a customer service representative that is having a good day and theyll let you borrow another cd-key.

open-source software is better in this regard because there are very few restrictions on how one uses whatever they pay for (although outside of very expensive support contracts, the user is self supported).

if you are married to this piece of software then ya' gotta' pay the cost of doing business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top