Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

^^ Good post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 08:09 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Thanks ED for the tips about static. I've turned off that desktop computer and it will remain off all this time, is that good, static-wise?

Yes you both are my tax assistants. You may also add me as one of your dependents to get extra tax exemption

While I'm waiting for the SATA-USB adapter that I ordered to arrive, I just want to make sure there is nothing else I need to purchase. I know Tek-Freek you said there is no need for another cable to power the SSD, just want to make sure about this (in case it's needed, I'd order it so I can receive both around the same time). I saw some external drives need both the converter/adapter and a power cable. Maybe SSD needs less power than HDD so no need for a separate power cable?

Also, is there any risk of damaging the SSD when I plug it to my laptop's USB port (via the SATA-USB adapter)?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 03-05-2018, 09:02 PM

I just opened the desktop (ThinkCentre M700 Tiny). I unscrewed the SSD and slided it out a little, in so doing accidentally unplugged the WIFI cable (I think). I had not paid attention to how the tiny cable was plugged before, so don't know how to plug it back. How should it be plugged back on? Where should I aim it? Need help Thanks.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:06 PM

Need a picture for the removed wire problem.

Plugging it in the usb port won't hurt anything.

If you look at the adapter you ordered you will see there are two connectors on the end. One is data (large one) and one is power (small one). No power cable required.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:32 PM

Thanks. Here are 2 pictures (attached are two originals, and two with added circles: Yellow circle is the end of the WIFI cable. Green circle is around where it used to be plugged to. Hope you could see it clearly).
Attached Thumbnails
How to connect the SSD to a computer externally?-wifi1a.jpg   How to connect the SSD to a computer externally?-wifi2a.jpg   How to connect the SSD to a computer externally?-wifi1.jpg   How to connect the SSD to a computer externally?-wifi2.jpg  

Old 03-05-2018, 09:50 PM

Ha, I think I plugged it. I used a magnifier to look at the cable end, and then looked around where it used to be plugged, and found this tiny pin that looked like a match to the cable end. Took some effort to plug the cable end to that pin, seems it's a fit. Can't test now as the computer is not working. Picture here (red circle is where it's plugged). Hope I'm right.
Thank you Tek-Freek for the answers. You don't know how just your being here is a huge calming factor.
Attached Thumbnails
How to connect the SSD to a computer externally?-wifi3a.jpg  

Old 03-05-2018, 10:12 PM

It's official. You're a Tech.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:46 PM

Is the static risk really that big deal? Anyone had their drive or other parts damaged due to static in normal home environment? I remember last time the technician came to replace the motherboard, I didn't see him carefully avoiding static at all. He came, sat down, opened the case with screw driver, used his hands to disconnect cables etc, replaced motherboard, no sign whatsover that one should be so ultra careful about static.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:33 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
No. It's one of those things that if you build 20 computers a day for 20 years might be a problem a few times if you're unlucky. I'll usually go discharge on something metal (like the case) before I go grabbing at components but that's the extent of my precautions, besides obvious things not like vigorously rubbing my socks on carpet immediately before I grab a CPU.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:13 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
RE: static.
I agree with Malloric that damaging your PC from static is a very low probability hassle, which is why I never bought a static leash (the cable maintenance folk put on as a bracelet that they clip to the metal casing. Just touching the frame before going inside is enough for me.

But you asked, " Thanks ED for the tips about static. I've turned off that desktop computer and it will remain off all this time, is that good, static-wise?"
And the answer is, No, this is not the same thing as static. This is about the power that stays behind inside your PC after you turn it off. It has parts (capacitors) that can store power, and if you're fingers touch the wrong parts inside, that electricity may short and damage something.

Again, the fix is easy, and free.
Power it off and pull the plug. You'd want to do this anyway, just to protect yourself.
Then, while un-plugged, turn it back on just a few seconds, (and then turn it back off). That will drain the capacitors.
When I do this, I can clearly hear my PC's fans come back on for about 1 second as they drain the storage inside. That shows you how much juice is still there.

And again, all the above have nothing to do with batteries. It's something else.

And like Tek_Freek says, this is making you a Tech. Solving these kinds of situations is how most of us Uber-Geeks learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers