U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 04:07 PM

4,750 posts, read 5,590,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
LOL. For want of a port....
Could have been:
For the want of a port the files were lost,
For the want of the files the tax returns were lost,
For the want of the tax returns freedom was lost...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 04:23 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Excellent!

Old 03-07-2018, 04:42 PM

I have successfully copied the files from the SSD to my laptop. What a huuuge relief!!

Thank you all computer geeks for your invaluable help, tips and the soothing presence!!!

Old 03-08-2018, 10:13 AM

5,372 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I have successfully copied the files from the SSD to my laptop. What a huuuge relief!!

Thank you all computer geeks for your invaluable help, tips and the soothing presence!!!
OK ... , since you now have secured all your essential files, you now also realise that you can lose any or all of them again due to some oops moment. Would this be a good time to decide to make "frequent" back up copies?

What is the value/cost of "huuuge"? (I have been there done that, and I have learned a lot from this forum)

When you decide on the value, then look into those 1 Gig (or bigger) small drives from WD, Seagate, or some other name brand of hard drive manufacturer.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...rd+drive&psc=1

I have 6 of these (each one for certain files) all connected via a powered USB hub.
I use this one (also connects my phone to my desktop (for my work) to keep it charged)
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-7-Port-...owered+usb+hub

That SSD drive you just copied from, can that be used as a backup drive?
There are cases available that can make those drives into an external drive.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:05 AM

Thanks. I only have a WD my passport external HDD. Have a lot of small USB flash drives. These stuffs get outdated so fast. It's always a pain in the neck for me to back up recent changes/additions I made to my files, instead of just copying all the files most of which were not updated and unnecessary to copy again. That's why I back up very infrequently.

After backing up the files on that SSD, I did a recovery back to factory state to my desktop and now it's working again (Oh, any the wifi is working, so I did attach the tiny wifi cable correctly!). After learning from this thread I'll not panic so much when the computer goes dead as long as the SSD/HDD is not damaged.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 AM

177 posts, read 64,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I've been using this recently and it's working well. Fast. The website explains why it's fast.

https://bvckup2.com/
(From another recent thread)

Look at "Delta Copying" I plan to try this very soon !!!

Old 03-09-2018, 10:17 AM

5,372 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
Thanks. I only have a WD my passport external HDD. Have a lot of small USB flash drives. These stuffs get outdated so fast. It's always a pain in the neck for me to back up recent changes/additions I made to my files, instead of just copying all the files most of which were not updated and unnecessary to copy again. That's why I back up very infrequently.

After backing up the files on that SSD, I did a recovery back to factory state to my desktop and now it's working again (Oh, any the wifi is working, so I did attach the tiny wifi cable correctly!). After learning from this thread I'll not panic so much when the computer goes dead as long as the SSD/HDD is not damaged.
I, personally, do not have to do that. The backup programmes do that automatically for me ...
Simply by noting if the file is either a new one or a changed one.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
Quote:
I have successfully copied the files from the SSD to my laptop.
Congrats !!!! well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I, personally, do not have to do that. The backup programmes do that automatically for me ... Simply by noting if the file is either a new one or a changed one.
This highlights the difference between File Copying utilities and File Backup utilities.
The backup programs can be told to ONLY backup the files that have changed.

I like SynCovery, as it's exceptionally flexible. It an backup up all, or what you need, and to any connected drive, and to websites via FTP, and it even has pre-configured settings for backing up to gDrive or Dropbox. https://www.syncovery.com/
I have several external hard disk drives that are the backup for my main PCs internal drives, but I also backup to gDrive some of the super important stuff..

Old 03-10-2018, 01:52 AM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
^^ Similar here. All important files are either already on the server, or copied to the server, and are then backed up to a 2tb drive on the server, and then to CrashPlan. CrashPlan is changing, but we have decided to pay the small amount they want since it has been so reliable, both for backup and recovery. Support is excellent.

I use Bvckup 2 to copy the laptops to a drive on the server, then to that same 2tb drive that goes to CP.

So we have copies on two separate drives on the server, and CrashPlan. The backups for the laptops have the files on the laptops, two locations on the server, and CrashPlan.

In addition all documents, financial files, and pictures are on two encrypted flash drives that I carry with me at all times.

Yes, I am paranoid. Having lost, or watched the result of others losing, so many import files I feel justified in being so.

On the server itself I use Second Copy to copy the important files to the 2tb drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or