U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:31 PM

4,750 posts, read 5,590,120 times

Advertisements

I need to transfer the data on the SSD driver of desktop computer to my laptop because the desktop is NOT WORKING (the windows can't start at all, so can't access to the desktop). Since the desktop is not working, I suppose the only way is to take out its SSD drive, and attach/plug the SSD to my laptop like an external hard driver, right? (Does it matter it's SSD and not HDD?) How exactly to do this? Does the SSD have a USB port? I doubt. I haven't opened the desktop yet. It's a think center Tiny. Do I need to buy some connectors?
Help will be greatly appreciated!

Update: I ordered a Sata - USB adapter like this one, hope that's what can do the job?

Last edited by snowmountains; 03-04-2018 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 09:17 PM

Question: is the SATA-USB adapter the only thing needed to transfer data from the SSD to laptop's HDD? In other words, once I connected the laptop to the SSD with the adapter cable, will I be able to see the files stored on SSD from the laptop directories, and can access /copy those files to my laptop? Why is some video showing one needing something to "power" the external drive? Do I need two cables, one is the SATA-USB data cable, the other a power cable? What kind of power cable would that be for the SSD?

Here is the SSD model: 256GB Solid State Drive, 2.5", SATA3, OPAL2.0 Capable
My laptop uses hard disk drive.

Last edited by snowmountains; 03-04-2018 at 10:12 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 10:23 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
I bought one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For one like this

And one of these

For two like this

Replaced SSDs in a server and two laptops. Smooth as silk.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Question: is the SATA-USB adapter the only thing needed to transfer data from the SSD to laptop's HDD? In other words, once I connected the laptop to the SSD with the adapter cable, will I be able to see the files stored on SSD from the laptop directories, and can access /copy those files to my laptop? Why is some video showing one needing something to "power" the external drive? Do I need two cables, one is the SATA-USB data cable, the other a power cable? What kind of power cable would that be for the SSD?

Here is the SSD model: 256GB Solid State Drive, 2.5", SATA3, OPAL2.0 Capable
My laptop uses hard disk drive.
Yes. Are you copying directory/files or the entire drive?

Old 03-04-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I need to transfer the data on the SSD driver of desktop computer to my laptop because the desktop is NOT WORKING (the windows can't start at all, so can't access to the desktop). Since the desktop is not working, I suppose the only way is to take out its SSD drive, and attach/plug the SSD to my laptop like an external hard driver, right? (Does it matter it's SSD and not HDD?) How exactly to do this? Does the SSD have a USB port? I doubt. I haven't opened the desktop yet. It's a think center Tiny. Do I need to buy some connectors?
Help will be greatly appreciated!

Update: I ordered a Sata - USB adapter like this one, hope that's what can do the job?
Some days, ya know? I completely missed this on my first read. As you can see in my first post it depends on what your SSD looks like. Your model information doesn't give enough info.

I'd wager you got the right adapter simply because the drive is in a desktop.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:50 PM

Thanks Tek-Freek. I just want to copy some files, not the entire drive. The desktop hosting the SSD is a Tiny form desktop, ThinkCenter M700 Tiny, about 7"x7" dimensions. I ordered that adapter above, but wonder if I also need to buy a power cable for the SSD (and if so where does the other end should it plug to, the laptop USB port, too, or what)?

Also what will I need to pay attention not to fry the SSD while trying to connect to my laptop? Thanks.

P.S. the SSD is like this (maybe the same, though my is not a Thinkpad but a Tiny desktop. The model sounds very close SSD):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1Z4-000G-00146

Basically, what I need to know is, if I don't buy/have an "enclosure", but just the SATA-USB adapter as linked above, is it enough? Do I need another cable "power cable" for the SSD (solid state drive, not HDD), in order to use the SSD as an external driver to transfer its data to my laptop? (I suppose those "enclosures" already has both the converter adapter and the power cable if necessary)

Last edited by snowmountains; 03-04-2018 at 11:02 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 11:10 PM

The adapter should have a usb connection for the laptop. It should power the drive through usb. Nothing additional required.

For not frying I recommend touching a grounded location just before handling it. Honestly, I never do this, but I'm one of those people who seem to get away with it. For almost 30 years now. The two items you are working with (drive and adapter) should be encased in plastic, which is not a conductor.

You will find it to be a simple procedure. The toughest part will likely be removing the SSD from the desktop.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:23 PM

Thanks, that's good to know. Yes, I'm crossing my fingers for the SSD removal process. Had filled out the tax forms without backing up the files, took me hours, definitely don't want to lose them and start over.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:07 AM

Ouch!!

Old 03-05-2018, 03:25 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
I've not tried using SSDs (yet) but I've been adding and swapping drives and other stuff inside my tower for decades.

The time to be concerned about static is when you open up your PC.

Power the computer down, wait about 30 seconds, then pull the plug, then turn the PCs power switch back on.
This makes the computer try to turn back on, and drains any on-board capacitors. (It doesn't effect the motherboard clock or it's battery).
Now open up the casing but make sure you touch your hand to the metal casing before you reach inside.
You probably should also have a dust-buster (with non-metal tips) ready, because it's probably really dusty inside. (Mine always is).
Be gentle with the SATI and power cables as they connect to the motherboard and to the SSD, as some manufacturers make those connections pretty flimsy.

If all the above work, and you get your forms, then do we get a fee as Tax Preparation Assistants?? (It is, of course, deductible).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or