U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 04:40 PM

1,603 posts, read 631,469 times

Advertisements

Just one of those ... "I wonder if ..." posts to pass the time.

I have a couple of computers with blown motherboards that I'd like to retrieve the information contained on their hard drives.

I know about 'hard drive enclosures' but I was wondering ... Could I pull the hard drive connector from one of those broken computers and rig a connection to my working computer?

In other words ... The wiring that connects your hard drive to your motherboard in the case, can it be rigged to connect 'outside' the case to the new computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:52 PM

5,725 posts, read 6,916,868 times
Sure. You can get all kinds of connectors, including ones that will connect different drive types to other connectors. I have at least one machine hanging open with a variety of connectors that I use to recover data from drives.

Just pull the drive from the bad machine and plug into the good machine with the appropriate connector.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Sure. You can get all kinds of connectors, including ones that will connect different drive types to other connectors. I have at least one machine hanging open with a variety of connectors that I use to recover data from drives.

Just pull the drive from the bad machine and plug into the good machine with the appropriate connector.
Thanks!

Now I need to go and look at exactly how the connection is made 'inside' the pc and what kind of changes/adapters I would need for the hard drive to pc connection ... outside the box!

Old 03-12-2018, 11:43 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,489,851 times
All that described above is feasible ... but a lot of work.
You can get from Amazon, a hard drive dock that accepts bare internal drives (just like an old game cartridge fits into their slot), and connects to your PC vis USB for about $20,
or
you can get a simple cable that has a standard SATA data & power connection on one end, and USB on the other for even less.

I'd list actual links but the prices vary depending on if you want USB2 or 3, and such.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
All that described above is feasible ... but a lot of work.
You can get from Amazon, a hard drive dock that accepts bare internal drives (just like an old game cartridge fits into their slot), and connects to your PC vis USB for about $20,
or
you can get a simple cable that has a standard SATA data & power connection on one end, and USB on the other for even less.

I'd list actual links but the prices vary depending on if you want USB2 or 3, and such.
I was just doing a 'what if ...' post, thinking that with all of the "stuff", electronics, wiring, dead pc's and such that I wouldn't have to put out any cash to build what I could build at home.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:05 PM

295 posts, read 232,900 times
If all the computers are from the last decade then it's likely they all use the standard SATA connection for the hard drives. Your working computer should have a spare SATA port and power plug available for future expansion. Remove the drives and just plug them into the working computer. Reuse the SATA cable if necessary.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:13 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,489,851 times
The deciding point will be:
Are you OK with digging around inside your working PC, (Power down, open up, add temp drive, reboot, copy data, reverse process - for each drive),
and does it have extra iHDD (internal Hard Disk Drive) ports (of the correct interface, (IDE, PATA, or SATA)
and does it have extra power cabling inside?

If so, then it's pretty easy procedure. I've done it a few times.

But in anticipation of having to do it again, and to make it all easier and not have to pop the door to my current PC, I spend $15 on a universal drive cable. It has connections for all three connector types, plus a power brick and cable, so I end up treating any internal drive as if it were an external USB2.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIE996S

Old 03-24-2018, 08:31 AM

2,900 posts, read 1,702,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
But in anticipation of having to do it again, and to make it all easier and not have to pop the door to my current PC, I spend $15 on a universal drive c/RLable. It has connections for all three connector types, plus a power brick and cable, so I end up treating any internal drive as if it were an external USB2.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIE996S
This is the way to go. The HDD won't mind sitting on a desk. Much, much easier than opening the computer only to find that there's no spare SATA connectors, or having an IDE drive to connect. Yea, I have a few of those for archival purposes. (heck, I even have one with a ST412/RLL interface. Just a paperweight.)

Old 03-24-2018, 10:59 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
Assuming it is a SATA drive, get a dock for just a little more than a universal cable.

Here's one
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters.../dp/B0099TX7O4

Old 03-27-2018, 03:59 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,450,646 times
[quote=claymoore;51277986]

I know about 'hard drive enclosures' but I was wondering ... Could I pull the hard drive connector from one of those broken computers and rig a connection to my working computer?

Are you talking about trying to make your own dock or enclosure from spare computer parts and dead motherboards and soldering things onto your working motherboard?

"The wiring that connects your hard drive to your motherboard in the case, can it be rigged to connect 'outside' the case

No it is a one to one connector unlike SCSI or the old IDE connector but, you can run a Sata cable from inside the computer to outside but it was not designed for it and use you old computer power supply granted your dead mother board lets you turn on the power supply. Windows will treat it as an internal drive and can be problematic and result in data loss. Now you have your ugly free rig from your spare parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers