U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:04 AM

4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times

Advertisements

my dad bought a windows-10 laptop and hated it. so i installed fedora-25 for him and he seems fine with it... drastically cut down on the amount of tech support calls i had to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 11:40 AM

701 posts, read 993,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
my dad bought a windows-10 laptop and hated it. so i installed fedora-25 for him and he seems fine with it... drastically cut down on the amount of tech support calls i had to deal with.
Just FYI.

Quote:
"With the recent release of Fedora 27, Fedora 25 officially enters End Of Life (EOL) status on December 12th, 2017. After December 12th, all packages in the Fedora 25 repositories no longer receive security, bugfix, or enhancement updates. Furthermore, no new packages will be added to the Fedora 25 collection."
https://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-25-end-life/

For what its worth, I installed the latest Fedora 27 last week and I'm quite happy with it.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:49 PM

4,750 posts, read 5,590,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oelyvier View Post
Like I said the main thing why people stayed with old windows is familiarity. And mainly coz they just don't want to learn how to navigate the new OS.
It's because it is not worth the effort to get familiar with a new OS that is not so desirable over the old one. Why bother that just to get something that sacrifices more privacy, in addition to convenience? And then, a couple years later, being forced to change to a newer OS, Win 11 (you missed that point in my post).

Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 PM

3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
Well, honestly if you people still think there is such a thing as privacy in this day and age... well..

My point is, in IT field, it is a CONSTANT learning process. You have to get with the times or you will fall behind. Also, I honestly don't see anything different really with the new windows. I don't get why people whine so much about it.

Oh there is no such thing as control panel now in win10 it is now called settings. But Cortana sill recognizes control panel coz when I ask it to open control panel, it said opening settings.
Control Panel is there and it's not the same as 'Settings". They started making it difficult to get to with Windows 8. The problem with Settings is that is not complete and does not include everything that is in Control Panel.

Sure, you can get to it by typing it but as I stated before you shouldn't have to type commands. This is a step back NOT a step forward. They could have left it easy but for some reason made it harder and by the way, I can type just fine and no I don't want to talk to the computer. You can keep Cortana. Call me old school or whatever but I like keyboard and mouse.

Where is Control Panel?

Control Panel and Settings: Why are both still UI options in Windows 10?

Old 03-22-2018, 09:38 AM

3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
gguerra what exactly is in control panel that you want to access. As for me:

Display - still a right click away for properties
Network - still a right click away for properties
Volume - still a right click away on newer keyboards they even have physical buttons

As for device manager I just ask Cortana to open it but I think you can find it in file explorer. You can also make a shortcut for sure I don't see why they will remove that feature.

Also the thing with new OS is that they always add new features and look in it. Otherwise why even bother making a new OS, no?

Well I think I find it disturbing that for someone in IT field you refuse to get with the times. Especially with the popularity of Alexa. Why do you refuse to make your life easier by using your voice assistant? You want to live in the past or something?

Also windows has always been built to be intuitive from the get go that's why they invented that thing called GUI. Oh wait, they stole it from Xerox, LOL.
You are only judging by your experience and fail to see the bigger picture. I use computers for work and just a little for pleasure. When you want to get a job done you need the most efficient way possible to do that. I am not at home playing games and who knows what else. Cortana is pretty useless in business environment. You keep bringing up Cortana. It is not suited for what I speak of. Get it now? And I am with the times, I have to be but I focus on efficiency.

Alexa? I do have one beleive it or not. I got it as a christmas gift. It's been sitting there since then. Not all it's cracked up to be IMO. I have had it play music and give me the weather, not much else. Sorry, it's not there yet.

Why don't you start a thread and ask what other people think of Cortana? It would be interesting to see.

As for the control panel, I use it for many things. I can't elaborate at this time.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I did a search on what other people thought of Cortana. Sorry, I don't want any part of it.

Cortana: The spy in Windows 10

Last edited by gguerra; 03-22-2018 at 09:50 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 03:02 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I think I lost some IQ points reading this thread. Are you for real oelyvier?

Old 03-23-2018, 03:12 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Hoo boy! This is going to be a long, self-centered not-able-to-understand-a-point-of-view outside-my-own ride.

Good luck everyone.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:24 AM

5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think I lost some IQ points reading this thread. Are you for real oelyvier?
Me too. "'Computer scientist' mind"? LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Hoo boy! This is going to be a long, self-centered not-able-to-understand-a-point-of-view outside-my-own ride.

Good luck everyone.
I rigged up effective voice control on my computers 20 years ago, I'm over it.

I think this place is on a down-hill slide...and The Powers That Be are behind it, pushing to make it go faster...

Old 03-26-2018, 02:19 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times

Go on!

Old 03-26-2018, 02:37 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
I peed in that bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or