U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2018, 12:06 PM
 
1,525 posts, read 2,510,126 times
Reputation: 1032

Advertisements

I have a 27" 4K screen on my desk, probably 2 feet or so from my face. That's plenty big enough.

That said...I wouldn't buy a 32" screen that was $200. It's probably a crap panel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2018, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,512 posts, read 16,536,277 times
Reputation: 13066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I have a 27" 4K screen on my desk, probably 2 feet or so from my face. That's plenty big enough.

That said...I wouldn't buy a 32" screen that was $200. It's probably a crap panel.
That's my printing table, was actually $179 on sale, normally $200 a couple years ago. Works great for that. Color accuracy, high contrast? Not so much. Personally, I wouldn't do a 32" 1080p panel for general office productivity at a more normal viewing distance. It's not so much that the color accuracy or contrast really matter. It's just the pixel density is really low on something that size. That's fantastic if you're dragging around you wireless mouse/keyboard to the far end of the table eight feet away from your monitor as I'm doing. Not so fantastic if you're using it at typical laptop distances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Prepperland
14,103 posts, read 10,123,087 times
Reputation: 10376
CLOSE CALL
If you're considering a large monitor, 4k TV or even an ultrawide monitor, you may find that there is an optical aberration: the edges appear to curve away when you view it close up.

Solution : curved screen.

Hope that helps.

((I have an LG-29UB55-B 29" ultrawide monitor, which exhibits that effect))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,834 posts, read 2,396,089 times
Reputation: 7755
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have a 24" monitor now, but I saw a 32" for sale for around $200, and it looks amazing, but Im not sure if it will be too big. Just curious if anyone out there has used one or a larger one and the pros and cons.
I'd say go for it. Right now I have three 28" monitors on my main desktop computer. I'm already planning to replace them all with 32" monitors, and I'm going to keep the resolution at 1920 × 1080. Because I'm getting too old to be staring at itty-bitty text on a computer screen. The main reasons I'm going to upgrade, is because my desk is big enough to hold three 32" monitors and I'll be able to push them back farther. So the monitors won't be right in my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 09:41 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Reputation: 4741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'd say go for it. Right now I have three 28" monitors on my main desktop computer. I'm already planning to replace them all with 32" monitors, and I'm going to keep the resolution at 1920 × 1080. Because I'm getting too old to be staring at itty-bitty text on a computer screen. The main reasons I'm going to upgrade, is because my desk is big enough to hold three 32" monitors and I'll be able to push them back farther. So the monitors won't be right in my face.
Text size is fully adjustable so the text doesn't have to be itty-bitty, lol. The real way to increase productivity is to get a much larger screen (like 42") and go to 4k. IMO, there is too much head movement involved with multiple monitors especially 3 of them.

I would get a fairly large monitor like 27" at 1080 and then a 42" at 4k resolution. I wouldn't want to spend the money for a 42" monitor so I would get a decent quality TV. They are practically giving them away these days. A coworker has this setup and it works great. He doesn't do it for games so that is another story but uses it for work. He looks at architectural drawings a lot and needs to see them full size. It is quite impressive to see a large screen at that resolution. Of course with the 42" you would have to place it at some distance further than a regular monitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,834 posts, read 2,396,089 times
Reputation: 7755
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I have a 27" 4K screen on my desk, probably 2 feet or so from my face. That's plenty big enough.

That said...I wouldn't buy a 32" screen that was $200. It's probably a crap panel.
Monitors under $200 are not necessarily crap panels. It generally just means they have lower resolution. If you don't need extremely high resolution, a $200 monitor is fine. Just make sure it's an IPS panel, and the quality should be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Maryland
2,163 posts, read 731,481 times
Reputation: 4834
https://www.tekrevue.com/tv-screen-size-calculator/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,834 posts, read 2,396,089 times
Reputation: 7755
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Text size is fully adjustable so the text doesn't have to be itty-bitty, lol. The real way to increase productivity is to get a much larger screen (like 42") and go to 4k. IMO, there is too much head movement involved with multiple monitors especially 3 of them.

I would get a fairly large monitor like 27" at 1080 and then a 42" at 4k resolution. I wouldn't want to spend the money for a 42" monitor so I would get a decent quality TV. They are practically giving them away these days. A coworker has this setup and it works great. He doesn't do it for games so that is another story but uses it for work. He looks at architectural drawings a lot and needs to see them full size. It is quite impressive to see a large screen at that resolution. Of course with the 42" you would have to place it at some distance further than a regular monitor.
Not all text size is adjustable. That depends on the application you are using. Plus if you enlarge text too much it can distort a page. Also it is not only text that can be too small, but images as well. For example I have a flatbed scanner, that has a stupid small non adjustable preview window. There is no possible way to enlarge the window. As it is right now, I have to lean over at put my nose right to the monitor to see the preview well enough to make adjustments. If I had a higher resolution monitor the scanner and the software would be totally useless.

As for 4K monitors. Three 1080p monitors cost about the same as one 4K monitor, and the three monitors still have more screen real estate then the one 4K monitor. So 1080p is the most cost effective. Now granted with the price reductions in 4K monitors that will change soon. But for now 1080p is still the most cost effective. Of course 4K monitors are the future, but I'm just not ready to jump on that bandwagon yet. Though I will reevaluate that, before I buy the 32" monitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 10:36 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,970 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Reputation: 4741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Not all text size is adjustable. That depends on the application you are using. Plus if you enlarge text too much it can distort a page. Also it is not only text that can be too small, but images as well. For example I have a flatbed scanner, that has a stupid small non adjustable preview window. There is no possible way to enlarge the window. As it is right now, I have to lean over at put my nose right to the monitor to see the preview well enough to make adjustments. If I had a higher resolution monitor the scanner and the software would be totally useless.

As for 4K monitors. Three 1080p monitors cost about the same as one 4K monitor, and the three monitors still have more screen real estate then the one 4K monitor. So 1080p is the most cost effective. Now granted with the price reductions in 4K monitors that will change soon. But for now 1080p is still the most cost effective. Of course 4K monitors are the future, but I'm just not ready to jump on that bandwagon yet. Though I will reevaluate that, before I buy the 32" monitors.
Of course there will always be the exceptions with certain apps that cannot be adjusted. Generally speaking though, text size IS adjustable in all windows compliant apps and in windows itself. For my tastes, I would increase the size to a reasonable size, not huge which would defeat the purpose of having more resolution.

As I mentioned, 4k monitors are useless to me (bad eyesight) considering the size at around 27", 28" or even 32". In order to take full advantage of the resolution you need size and I would start at 40" or 42". Being that 4k monitors are still cost prohibitive at that size, 4k TV's actually offer a decent alternative. They can be had for starting at around $300. They usually don't offer ultra low response times but unless you are a gamer, that shouldn't matter. If it's just for office work or video they work very well. I know because as I also mentioned, we have a setup like this at our company.

Another consideration is also the video card. 4k video cards are also a bit more at this time. Hopefully this will change soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,834 posts, read 2,396,089 times
Reputation: 7755
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Of course there will always be the exceptions with certain apps that cannot be adjusted. Generally speaking though, text size IS adjustable in all windows compliant apps and in windows itself. For my tastes, I would increase the size to a reasonable size, not huge which would defeat the purpose of having more resolution.

As I mentioned, 4k monitors are useless to me (bad eyesight) considering the size at around 27", 28" or even 32". In order to take full advantage of the resolution you need size and I would start at 40" or 42". Being that 4k monitors are still cost prohibitive at that size, 4k TV's actually offer a decent alternative. They can be had for starting at around $300. They usually don't offer ultra low response times but unless you are a gamer, that shouldn't matter. If it's just for office work or video they work very well. I know because as I also mentioned, we have a setup like this at our company.

Another consideration is also the video card. 4k video cards are also a bit more at this time. Hopefully this will change soon.
Video cards is another problem. I would have to get all new hardware to support a 4K monitor. I have considered getting a new computer or a smart TV just for watching 4K videos. But if I try to watch 4K videos on YouTube, with my current internet service the video buffers. 1080p is about the largest video size that my current internet speed can handle. So until I get faster internet, 1080p is all that I need. Just another reason for me not to upgrade to 4K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top