U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 PM

454 posts, read 168,806 times

Advertisements

I have bought these from ebay for old laptops i had and recalled it didn't have much issues. Those laptops however no longer work but it had nothing to do with the batteries i believe.

I have a battery issue with my current laptop and need a new battery. Its a dell xps 15 9550. They have it on ebay for around a bit more than 60 dollars.

Does anyone here have good things to say about laptop batteries on ebay? Also are these never ever real and geniune even if the seller has a perfect rating? Could these batteries potentially damage your current laptop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:58 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,579,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
I have bought these from ebay for old laptops i had and recalled it didn't have much issues. Those laptops however no longer work but it had nothing to do with the batteries i believe.

I have a battery issue with my current laptop and need a new battery. Its a dell xps 15 9550. They have it on ebay for around a bit more than 60 dollars.

Does anyone here have good things to say about laptop batteries on ebay? Also are these never ever real and geniune even if the seller has a perfect rating? Could these batteries potentially damage your current laptop
I've bought some, BUT, I only buy OEM batteries now. Every time I tried a Chinese battery, they've turned out to be junk, or WAY overrated.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:11 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,517,090 times
Yes, I had bought some on ebay over the years, I only buy OEM batteries, so in your case look up OEM battery for Dell xps 15 9550, do not by the cheap ones and you should be okay, of course test it after getting it by charging it and running it down and charging it again before giving the seller a rep.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:44 PM

14,518 posts, read 16,543,509 times
OEM, especially if it's a decent laptop. Maybe if it's some hunkajunk thing. Not worth trying to save $10 on something that's halfway decent.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:51 PM

I got an issue here. So i called Dell on this and at first they said they had battery, its only 81 dollars plus tax... say take 5-7 days. So i thought great and i call back. I then called sales directly and they told me battery is not available in stock... i thought how is that possible.... because someone in the out of warranty department told me it was.

They then transferred me to out of warranty at dell... i spoke to someone. They said they do not have new batteries for this laptop. Its a dell xps 15 9550. They said i could however buy a refurbished battery for 81 dollars plus tax. They said it take 2-3 day shipping. I said how is that possible because a rep earlier said it take 5-7 days and i asked... so was that rep i spoke to earlier incorrect... he said yes.

So they tell me they don't have any batteries in stock unless i want the refurbished one. They said new battery cost 140 dollars but they don't have in stock. The thing is i have to get this battery very soon. And they do not have new battery in stock. I asked them did they ever had the new battery in stock and they don't seem to know. So based on this... what should i do? Do i buy the refurbished laptop battery from dell or buy a battery that is NEW on ebay? Because buying a refurbished laptop battery seems like a very bad idea etc. However i dont have the option for a new battery from dell for this laptop. So as long as it say OEM on ebay, then thats fine? Its like 62 dollars on ebay. Again 62 dollars vs 90 dollars is no big difference. But here... the battery from dell is refurbished.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:59 PM

32,276 posts, read 14,526,920 times
I don't buy laptop batteries on Ebay, I get them on Amazon and not through 3rd party sellers. It's easier to return stuff through Amazon and the prices aren't much different

Old 03-20-2018, 01:39 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,489,851 times
I've bought batteries on eBay and they were unused but old. Since most batteries age even if they're not being used, this meant that they had a much shorter usable lifetime than batteries bought new via retail. I'll never eBay them again.

I'd go with Amazon, for ease of return, and compare those prices with local battery-specialty shops like Batteries-R-Us and Batteries+

Old 03-20-2018, 04:32 PM

Hey all thanks. One last question. Do most of you install laptop batteries yourself? I know there are videos online showing how to do it but im someone that would be worried of opening it and then damaging it etc.

Also doe anyone know how much it should cost for a computer laptop/repair shop to install your battery? Such as you bring laptop there, then open it up, take out old battery and put in new one?

Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 PM

32,276 posts, read 14,526,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Hey all thanks. One last question. Do most of you install laptop batteries yourself? I know there are videos online showing how to do it but im someone that would be worried of opening it and then damaging it etc.

Also doe anyone know how much it should cost for a computer laptop/repair shop to install your battery? Such as you bring laptop there, then open it up, take out old battery and put in new one?
Every laptop I've ever had has a battery bay on the back, it's usually secured with a slide or latch you open it and lift the battery out and put the new one in. I'm not familiar with any that require actual disassembly to replace a battery.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:40 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,517,090 times
Is your battery swollen by any chance, Dell offers to replace swelling XPS 15 9550 batteries for free, even if out-of-warranty

As for your question, it looks like your battery has screw tabs on it, so it should not be too hard to install, I even install ram and hard drives in my laptops, so I would normally tackle trying to change the battery. If complicated then I usually make a drawing of the bottom of the laptop and put the screws I take out on the drawing right where I took them out from. Below is a video, that should guide you on how to change the battery if it is not swollen, if swollen, have Dell do it for free if there is a service center near you. If all the screws are the same size then no need for the drawing.

Dell XPS 15-9550 (P56F001) Battery Removal and Installation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ujYLT45FiYU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers