Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 07:44 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

Using Windows Explorer I burned an MP4 video onto a DVD-R. It won't play on a table top DVD player. I went back and converted the MP4 to mpeg2 using a program called Any Video Converter. The DVD player still gives "disc error."

From the manual it should play mpeg2 on DVD-R media.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 07:53 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
When you use "Windows Explorer" you are making a Data Disc. This will not play in a player.

You need a different program.
https://lifehacker.com/232322/hack-a...a-playable-dvd

Old 03-26-2018, 10:30 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Regular DVD players are more fussy than computers. You have to make sure it is the correct DVD -R or DVD +R disk, and has been finalized. I did a tutorial a few years back:

Chickpea Soup: Make your own DVDs

Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Regular DVD players are more fussy than computers. You have to make sure it is the correct DVD -R or DVD +R disk, and has been finalized. I did a tutorial a few years back:

What do you mean by the "right" DVD -R or +R.
We have both.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
When you use "Windows Explorer" you are making a Data Disc. This will not play in a player.

You need a different program.
https://lifehacker.com/232322/hack-a...a-playable-dvd
The program from that site only got a musical 30 seconds burned. The video to be burned was an MP4.
This is all we got from the 3 minute video. We were unable to click on play scenes, etc. and the 30 seconds of music was totally alien to the music on the video to be burned.
Attached Thumbnails
Burned media won't play.-untitledsasa.jpg  

Old 03-27-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

I'm not clear why the DVD Styler is needed. Any help on that?
It sounds like it says you can not burn from the Sothink Movie DVD Maker alone.

I can make MP4's all day long on my Windows Movie Maker or a YT Movie Maker.

The table top devices won't play MP4's and I converted the ones I have to mpeg2 and they still do not play.
DVD-R and speed rate 4x, 8x, and 16x.

They play fine on desktop but not standalone DVD players.

I even created a VIDEO_TS folder and renamed my video to VOB.IFO and put it in the folder and a program called Ashampoo ended when an error said the file was not in the folder. Yes it is in the folder.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:37 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
O, wait... you have Windows Movie Maker? Like the old one? That should work fine. You must not be exporting it properly?!?

Old 03-28-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
O, wait... you have Windows Movie Maker? Like the old one? That should work fine. You must not be exporting it properly?!?
I have Windows DVD Maker on my Windows 7 system. I have used this to create movies for my You Tube channel. However the current project is to just get already existing videos (those created or downloaded and not store bought DVD's) to be burned so they play on any DVD player. The way I've used that movie maker is to replace the video portion with any photo and attach music to it (MP3) = MP4 for You Tube.
So technically I'm not making a DVD just trying to get existing MP4's to play on a table top DVD player.

** I do have Any Video Converter and can convert the MP4's to any other format. I tried MPEG2 which is supported by one of my table top DVD players but still get "disc error" when the MP4 is converted to MPEG2 and then played.

----------------------
Also Corel Burn.Now (Lenovo) and Corel DVD Movie Factory (Lenovo). I did not know these were on the system since the pc was purchased from an individual and happened to be a Lenovo ThinkCentre M90.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:22 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
What do you mean by the "right" DVD -R or +R.
We have both.
IIRC, Some players choke playing DVDs burned in one of the writing formats. Some burners only burn one type of disc. It has been a while since I've burned DVDs.

I used the two programs because one was better at one task, but left unprofessional remnants on the finished disk.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:32 AM

295 posts, read 354,200 times
Sounds like you're burning it as a data DVD and not a video DVD. Make sure you select that as your project and it should create all the necessary folders and file structures to tell the player it's a valid video DVD. You can't just create folders and renaming files and it'll conform to the standards. The software will do that for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers