U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 PM

10 posts, read 4,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
There's nothing wrong with you. Your computer apparently hates you, though.

Have you tried logging with no password?
Lol , i will sell it if it really hates me ,this is just a joke , i have tried to login it without password , but failed , the password seems to have changed by someone ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 10:59 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Found this.

Yes, this issue is reported by many users. Generally, updating from old Windows versions to Windows 10 will not change the password. but the fact is that the new OS will not accept the old password. what should you do in this situation? OF course, reset or bypass the Windows 10 password is the best choice.

Of course resetting the password using the method in the link is not a simple process, but it should work.

Note that the link takes you to Part Two. Part One is not for your system.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:08 PM

The irritating part of this, and you are not alone here, is that Microsoft doesn't care enough to fix the problem. They wrote the program and I know damn well they could offer a download to users with the error that would fix it.

Arrogant jerks.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:35 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baskyas View Post
But there are a lot of important files on my computer, I can't lose them.
You should already be backing up your data if it's important. It's not a matter of if, but when your hard drive will fail. Do it and do it on a regular basis or else...

IMO, there is no problem with doing an in-place upgrade especially if you don't have of tons of old programs installed. Seen it done many times without any problems, but regardless you need to BACKUP YOUR DATA.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 PM

563 posts, read 336,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You should already be backing up your data if it's important. It's not a matter of if, but when your hard drive will fail. Do it and do it on a regular basis or else...

IMO, there is no problem with doing an in-place upgrade especially if you don't have of tons of old programs installed. Seen it done many times without any problems, but regardless you need to BACKUP YOUR DATA.
Agreed, and it was mentioned by at least 3 people to be sure all data is backed up somewhere before starting an upgrade this large.

You can try to set it up on your own, but after I got over the initial cost aspect of a service like Carbonite, it's all been a total piece of mind for me. Worth it.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
Agreed, and it was mentioned by at least 3 people to be sure all data is backed up somewhere before starting an upgrade this large.

You can try to set it up on your own, but after I got over the initial cost aspect of a service like Carbonite, it's all been a total piece of mind for me. Worth it.
The OP has already updated hi computer. Since he can now not log in backing up his data is, to say the least, difficult. He's 85 years old and likely not very computer savvy.

The best (?) solution is to find a way to either change or delete the existing password, which is a pain in the butt. If he lived closer I'd go do it for him, but Las Vegas to New York is a bit too far.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:23 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
Quote:
The OP has already updated hi computer. Since he can now not log in backing up his data is, to say the least, difficult. He's 85 years old and likely not very computer savvy.

The best (?) solution is to find a way to either change or delete the existing password, which is a pain in the butt. If he lived closer I'd go do it for him, but Las Vegas to New York is a bit too far.
I guess I missed the part about the OP being 85. If he did the upgrade then great. The part about the backup still stands though. There have been other (recent) posts about windows passwords and yes it sounds like it's beyond his capabilities.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:56 AM

Absolutely agree re backups. If he can get this thing working he should.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 PM

10 posts, read 1,774 times
Quote:
Found this.

Yes, this issue is reported by many users. Generally, updating from old Windows versions to Windows 10 will not change the password. but the fact is that the new OS will not accept the old password.
From Windows 7 to Windows 10, the old password of Windows 7 can be not accepted on Windows 10 computer.It is best to remove the password before updating.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:33 PM

835 posts, read 810,329 times
Microsoft does not advertise it but you can still upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. I did this to a friends laptop a couple months ago. I went to the Microsoft Windows 10 website and started the upgrade. When it finished it activated fine.

Another friend had a lot of problems upgrading Windows 7 to 10. He gave up and had to reinstall Windows 7.

If you are unsure it is best to make an image of the boot disk first. Then if things don't go right you can use it to restore Windows 7.

I also agree with Just Zola. For some people it is easier/safer to just buy a new computer with Windows 10 and keep the old computer with Windows 7 as is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or