Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 02:56 AM

10 posts, read 4,326 times

Advertisements

Reinstall Windows 7?Did you backup the computer data?If i were you,i can not do that without a backup.
And reset password was easy for me.too(Click here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 05:50 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
If your computer is old it may not accept a change to W10. Dell posted that my portable was not upgradeable so I went ahead and did it and the computer failed partway through the upgrade. I was able to recover.
My desktop has Solidworks 2011 and I read in a SW forum that my old copy would fail under W10. Having learned my lesson, I left it alone. Everything works fine with W7 and I'm sticking with it.
Upgrade at your peril.
Also, if you are low on memory or have had virus/malware problems, it might be a difficult situation. I know that I don't have enough memory on my 2010 Asus laptop to run Win 10 smoothly.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I have W 7 on my desktop which is non-authentic. Pirated I guess. Should I just buy a new or refurbished desktop rather than deal with this mess of upgrading? I am not computer savvy and would hate to lose everything on here, including valuable genealogy files.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I have W 7 on my desktop which is non-authentic. Pirated I guess. Should I just buy a new or refurbished desktop rather than deal with this mess of upgrading? I am not computer savvy and would hate to lose everything on here, including valuable genealogy files.
You should already have a backup of your data regardless. It's amazing to me how many people neglect this. IF you value your data, find a backup solution. Invest in an external drive, setup a free cloud backup etc.

As for your hard drive crashing, it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' and you are rolling the dice if you don't back up. If that happens, your personal data could be gone in a blink of an eye

Old 06-18-2019, 11:20 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Having all your data backed up is a different question than upgrading.
Regardless of what system you're running, none are 100.0000% reliable. Back it up! Ditto your customizing settings for all programs installed.

That said, I thought that Win7 to Win10 required a full, virgin install of the 10. IE: there's no 'upgrade path'. You must buy a Win10 license regardless, and then install it, and then install all your programs, and then customize them, and then copy over all your user-data files.

I've been a Win7 hold back just for the above reasons. Also, my Win7 ain't broke, so why fix it.

Quick tip: Before you decide to do the jump over to Win10. Make sure you have your personal files backed up, AND have install disks / USB files of the programs you have currently installed, PLUS each of their serial numbers. I'll even do screen-capture picture of each program's start up, so I can see how my customizations are done (IE: tool bar changes).

Old 06-18-2019, 12:17 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
That said, I thought that Win7 to Win10 required a full, virgin install of the 10. IE: there's no 'upgrade path'. You must buy a Win10 license regardless, and then install it, and then install all your programs, and then customize them, and then copy over all your user-data files.
Not 100% sure what the current state of the art is, but a few years ago I upgraded several Win7 and Win8 machines to Win10. At that time, the upgrade was in place with nothing lost (other than Windows Media Center, but that was known / expected).

Of course I had full image backups of the machines I cared about, but none of the 6 had any issues, and almost everything was in place and working after the upgrade (Quickbooks needed a repair installation on one machine, and my wife had to migrate to a newer version of MS Money).

Old 08-18-2019, 09:22 PM

12 posts, read 6,683 times
No matter which operating system you use, you can't guarantee 100% perfection. People who use Windows 7 will complain about Windows 7, and people who use Windows 10 will complain about Windows 10,even if you can successfully upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the odds of getting into trouble are 80%.Unrecognized login passwords, lost data, and crashed computers are common problems.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
I use Windows 7 and my only complaint is that I can't keep using it forever.
(I had the same complaint about DOS/Desqview )

Old 08-19-2019, 08:47 AM

123 posts, read 101,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Just emphasizing here how annoying item 3) can be. I have a Xerox DocuMate 510 scanner. It's a gem, and has given me well over 10 years of service, probably well beyond its expected life span. But ... it plain doesn't work w/ Win 10 (it's been years, so I can't recall the exact problem - I think it was Xerox not making drivers for Win 10 because the hardware was so old?). So until it dies, I have an laptop running XP (very, very old and very compatible w/ the scanner) just so I can scan docs. A PITA, to be sure, but it works.
Sometimes other drivers work that aren't advertised to. For example, I have an EPSON Perfection 1200 scanner. No drivers for it in Win 7. Went online and found a post which indicated using the driver for EPSON Perfection 2400. Works perfectly. So, you might find a post online somewhere which will indicate a a driver that will work for your Xerox with Win 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers