U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 06:47 AM

2,712 posts, read 3,002,511 times

Advertisements

This morning I have a notice of a "Remote Update Client Update". I did not (and do not) even know my Mac had such. I also do not do anything with my computer from a remote position. Their updates take forever and three days, exaggerating a tiny bit. Is this necessary? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 01:53 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
This morning I have a notice of a "Remote Update Client Update". I did not (and do not) even know my Mac had such. I also do not do anything with my computer from a remote position. Their updates take forever and three days, exaggerating a tiny bit. Is this necessary? Thank you.
If it is taking a long time it may be because you have a slow Internet speed. If that's the case, then when the automatic update reminder shows on the screen, choose to update at a time when you aren't using your computer. Just make sure that you live the computer on for it to update at the scheduled time.

If you don't like the automatic updates and want to take care of them manually, then go to System Preferences and look for App Store. Open App Store (click on it), and turn off the automatic updates.

Just remember to see if your computer needs updates every week or so as follows: Open the Apple menu (the Apple logo at the left top corner of the screen), then open "About This Mac," and choose Software Update."

Old 03-31-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If it is taking a long time it may be because you have a slow Internet speed. If that's the case, then when the automatic update reminder shows on the screen, choose to update at a time when you aren't using your computer. Just make sure that you live the computer on for it to update at the scheduled time.

If you don't like the automatic updates and want to take care of them manually, then go to System Preferences and look for App Store. Open App Store (click on it), and turn off the automatic updates.

Just remember to see if your computer needs updates every week or so as follows: Open the Apple menu (the Apple logo at the left top corner of the screen), then open "About This Mac," and choose Software Update."
I probably was not clear about "Is this necessary?" I meant is the "Remote Desk Top" software necessary if I never access my compute from a remote location.

Thank you.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I probably was not clear about "Is this necessary?" I meant is the "Remote Desk Top" software necessary if I never access my compute from a remote location.

Thank you.
I believe that it is part of the OS, so you should keep it updated. What OS-X version is your computer running under?

Old 03-31-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I believe that it is part of the OS, so you should keep it updated. What OS-X version is your computer running under?
Hmmm? I think it is El Capitan. Thanks about the update. Might as well, I suppose.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Hmmm? I think it is El Capitan. Thanks about the update. Might as well, I suppose.
By the way, you can turn Remote Desktop off if you don't need it:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6156951
Quote:
System Preferences -> Sharing, and disable "Screen Sharing" and "Remote Management". And if checked, "Remote Login" (this is ssh, scp, sftp, rsync, remote terminal, Unix style access).
Translation: Go to System Preferences and look for Sharing. In Sharing, disable "Screen Sharing" and "Remote Management." And if Checked, also disable "Remote Login." Just disable any of the "sharing" options you want.

My family and I use it all the time at home since we a few Macs and one PC. I can move files, photos, and so on from one computer to the next from one location.

By the way, most people forget to turn off the Sharing options in their laptops, even when traveling. If so, others can look into your laptop using the public network at the airports.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-31-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-31-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
By the way, you can turn Remote Desktop off if you don't need it:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6156951

Translation: Go to System Preferences and look for Sharing. In Sharing, disable "Screen Sharing" and "Remote Management." And if Checked, also disable "Remote Login." Just disable any of the "sharing" options you want.

My family and I use it all the time at home since we a few Macs and one PC. I can move files, photos, and so on from one computer to the next from one location.

By the way, most people forget to turn off the Sharing options in their laptops, even when traveling. If so, others can look into your laptop using the public network at the airports.

I gather, from what you are saying, that Remote Desk Top came with the computer. I wondered how I got it. Thanks. I'll never travel with it; that's for sure. But thanks for the "how to turn it off".

Old 03-31-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I gather, from what you are saying, that Remote Desk Top came with the computer. I wondered how I got it. Thanks. I'll never travel with it; that's for sure. But thanks for the "how to turn it off".
It is an OS-X system file like the rest in System Preferences, and it is automatically updated every time you update the OS. All you have to do is turn off some of the sharing options in the Sharing folder found in System Preferences.

Just go to System Preferences (the icon that looks like a gear, found in the dock at the bottom of the screen). You will see a folder named "Sharing." Click on this folder to open it, and you will see the following options at the left side of the window:

-DVD or CD Sharing
-Screen Sharing
-File Sharing
-Printer Sharing
-Remote Login
-Remote Management
-Remote Apple Events

-Internet Sharing
-Bluetooth Sharing
-Content Catching

There are a series of boxes, one at each side of the options above. Click on the box to "uncheck' the poring you don't want or need. In this case, remove the checkmark on the "Remote...." ones.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-31-2018 at 08:52 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 07:47 AM

Right. I have that. Wish I had the courage to dig into computers and try every button there is. But, I inherited the overly-cautious gene. Anyway, I do have the list for today's duties. Thank you.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:37 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Quote:

Thank you.
It's part of the OS which makes easier to resolve problems. If Apple had to aid in repairing a Apple SW (itunes for example) issue on a PC they'd have to send an email, go through a few setup protocols and then access the problem program but they wouldn't be able to resolve the issue if it's in MS Windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers