U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:28 AM

3,310 posts, read 1,143,591 times

Advertisements

Hi

I make audio backing tracks of songs and burn them to CD. INCLUDED in the audio CD is also a data track containing the lyrics. This data track is retrievable through M/S Word and may be Track #1 or otherwise embedded somewhere in the CD, depending on how it was originally recorded. This CD then becomes my Master Disc from which I can make copies through a Nero disc burning program. I have several such Master CDs.

What I’m wanting to do is to save the full contents (audio and data) of each of these CDs to my computer hard-drive so that I don’t need to go through the process of inserting the Master Disc and using a Nero burning program each time I want to make a copy to a blank CD. It's a rather time consuming process.

What is the process for saving these CD Masters to my computer hard-drive so that, in future, I can just click on to the saved Master with my mouse and directly record (both music and data) to a blank CD?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 08:56 AM

Further to the above ...I decided to experiment myself. I placed the Master CD into the computer player and copied and pasted the disc (supposedly) to Desktop but all that was saved to Desktop was the data track, i.e. the lyrics retrievable in M/S Word but no audio track.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:59 AM

82 posts, read 110,895 times
Run Nero like you normally would to make a copy. When you get to the part where it asks you to select a source drive and destination drive, change the destination drive to "Image Recorder [CD-R/RW]". Click the copy button and it will then ask you where you want to save the disk image. At the top of the window where it says "save in" select the folder on the hard disk drive you want to save to. And then at the bottom name the file and choose the file format you wish to save the image as.

*.nrg is a propitiatory file format that only works with Nero, but is compatible with a wider range of CD disk formats.
*.iso is an industry standard file format that will work with other programs besides Nero. But some CD disk formats, such as bootable CD-ROMs will not work with iso.

Choose iso you want to edit your saved image files with another music program. Or generally speaking it would be wise to use iso as you may decide at some point in the future to use a different program then Nero to burn disks with. For example Windows 10 can burn an iso to CD without additional software. Just right click the image file in File Explorer and select burn to disk. However if Nero determines that your source disk is not compatible with *.iso then it will only give you the option for nrg.

To burn a CD from the image file saved on your hard drive use Nero and instead of "Copy Entire CD" select "Disk Image or Saved Project". Check to make sure the destination drive is your CDRW.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:44 PM

4,887 posts, read 2,502,576 times
$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=romulus.iso
$ wodim dev=/dev/cdrom -data romulus.iso

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 04-01-2018 at 04:53 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Run Nero like you normally would to make a copy. When you get to the part where it asks you to select a source drive and destination drive, change the destination drive to "Image Recorder [CD-R/RW]". Click the copy button and it will then ask you where you want to save the disk image. At the top of the window where it says "save in" select the folder on the hard disk drive you want to save to. And then at the bottom name the file and choose the file format you wish to save the image as.

*.nrg is a propitiatory file format that only works with Nero, but is compatible with a wider range of CD disk formats.
*.iso is an industry standard file format that will work with other programs besides Nero. But some CD disk formats, such as bootable CD-ROMs will not work with iso.

Choose iso you want to edit your saved image files with another music program. Or generally speaking it would be wise to use iso as you may decide at some point in the future to use a different program then Nero to burn disks with. For example Windows 10 can burn an iso to CD without additional software. Just right click the image file in File Explorer and select burn to disk. However if Nero determines that your source disk is not compatible with *.iso then it will only give you the option for nrg.

To burn a CD from the image file saved on your hard drive use Nero and instead of "Copy Entire CD" select "Disk Image or Saved Project". Check to make sure the destination drive is your CDRW.
Many thanks. I'll give this a try when I get the time and let you know how I go.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:33 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
ImgBurn is a free program, pretty easy to use and will do all of the above tasks and more including creating an ISO file from a CD.

The Official ImgBurn Website

Old 04-03-2018, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post

Hi Gorath

Well, I followed your instructions and presumably burned a CD to Image Recorder ...ISO1.nri.

File name: image nrg

Save as type: Image files (*nrg).

The program went through the motions of copying the CD to the hard drive. When finished the CD was then ejected and the notice 'Burn process completed successfully' was displayed. Good.

However, when I right click OPEN on either ISO1.nri or Image Recorder (there are 2 icons) I get the message:

This version of Nero Burning Rom cannot be run on 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows. To order the Enterprise Edition of Nero Burning Rom send email to enterprise-edition@nero.com

So, do you have any idea where I might have gone wrong or do I have to order the so-called Enterprise Edition of Nero Burning Rom?

Thanks

Old 04-03-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
ImgBurn is a free program, pretty easy to use and will do all of the above tasks and more including creating an ISO file from a CD.

The Official ImgBurn Website
Thanks. I'll just wait first for a response from Gorath before going to that site.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:26 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,702,654 times
Copy protection on the audio seems to be your problem? Why not use ripper software (much is free) like DVD Decrypter if they're still around. (I've had my copy for many years). It can convert directly to an mp3 for each track. Then just copy over your text file to the same folder.

Am I missing something?

FYI, ISO files are tough to work with unless your software specifically reads ISOs. The ISO format is for CD/DVD players. You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

Old 04-03-2018, 06:56 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Copy protection on the audio seems to be your problem? Why not use ripper software (much is free) like DVD Decrypter if they're still around. (I've had my copy for many years). It can convert directly to an mp3 for each track. Then just copy over your text file to the same folder.

Am I missing something?

FYI, ISO files are tough to work with unless your software specifically reads ISOs. The ISO format is for CD/DVD players. You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image
It couldn't be any easier to work with ISO. That may be just your experience.

Two main ways to do it.
1. You "mount" the ISO. What this does is create a virtual drive with the contents of the CD for you. You simply browse to that drive and treat it like any other CD/DVD. Play, copy etc. Once you are done you simply "unmount" the ISO, much like ejecting the CD/DVD

This requires a small piece of free software such as URL="https://www.elby.ch/en/products/vcd.html"]Virtual CloneDrive[/url].

2. You can extract the contents of the ISO with Imgburn software. There is no need to do this if you use the above method.

I'm sure there are other free solutions. It's nice to have an ISO because it is an exact representation of the disc and it's not proprietary.

Yes, you can "rip" the CD to remove copy protection, I think DVD Decryptor is made for DVD's only. If you rip to WAV instead of MP3 you will not lose quality. The files are huge but you keep original quality. Somewhere in the middle would be to rip to FLAC. Lossless quality, smaller files than WAV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or