Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:18 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,036,913 times

Advertisements

I have a windows 7 and when I turn on the computer, all it says on the screen is "User profile service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded"

I wasn't able to do anything else from there, so I had to go on a friend's computer to go online and find solutions. However, every instructions has not fixed the problem so far.

Basically some instructions say to reboot in 'safe mode'. I tried following in the instructions to that by hitting f8 when rebooting, but it doesn't take me to safe mode. It just takes me other options that are not listed in the instructions.

Other video instructions say to logon with a different user account, but I don't have any other user accounts. It's my computer so there is just my account only, which I cannot log into at all.

Does anyone know what to do, to fix this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 07:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Are you pressing F8 repeatedly? Tap, tap, tap, tap until the menu displays.

What brand is your computer?

This should work: https://neosmart.net/wiki/f8-key/#Bo...e_Mode_with_F8

It shows what you should see for XP, Vista, and 7.

One way (last resort!) to get to that menu is to unplug the computer while it's running. That causes an error and that error has the result of bringing up the menu where you can choose Safe Mode. Last resort!

Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,392,734 times
You are probably pressing the F8 key too late. As soon as you see the mfr. logo, start pressing it.

You may think you only have one account but you may also have a built in admin account.

A password reset boot CD/USB will reveal this.

You could also use an offline registry editor to do what is described here
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge...for-windows-7/

Old 04-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Okay thanks. I tapped it a lot and finally got it to work.

I followed the instructions in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEyxD6ZG-jI

The video worked for my computer after I restarted it. Later on that day, I shut the computer down again. The next day, I started it up again, only to have the same problem again, and it says "User profile service failed to logon", and that's it.

So I tried the video instructions again, however, it will not fix it anymore times, and it keeps saying that, every time I reboot the computer. What else can I do to fix this problem so it doesn't keep reoccurring?

Old 04-05-2018, 11:55 PM

The creator of that video did not do the most important thing you can do before screwing with regedit. He did not show you how to back it up before making changes to it. I can't guarantee you could have got back to the original considering what you're going through, but it should have been done. Right now it's probably too late since the fix did not work.

I'll do some snooping and see what I can find.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 04-06-2018 at 12:04 AM..

Old 04-06-2018, 12:08 AM

When you go back into regedit do you still have two listings for your profile? No extension and .bak?

When you click on them do you see the path to your profile in the ProfileImagePath data box for one of them? Since you made changes it may, or may not, be the .bak listing.

The same directions are in the link ggeurra posted and are probably easier to follow since it is text and pictures. I find that to be easier.

If the path isn't in the data box for the .bak listing then you might try adding it to the listing without the .bak. That is essentially what they do in the fix. The path should be C:\Users\yourusername

Old 04-06-2018, 06:30 AM

I see the path listed in the one that does not say .bak in front of it, but not on the one that says .bak. So now what?

Anyway I managed to get it up and running again, after doing those instructions a few more times, till it finally worked. However, I am afraid to turn the computer off again, cause then I won't be able to logon, and back at square one most likely.

Now that I am back on and running, is there a way to disable this problem so it will not occur again when I turn the computer off, so I won't have to keep doing this every time?

Old 04-06-2018, 08:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,392,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I see the path listed in the one that does not say .bak in front of it, but not on the one that says .bak. So now what?

Anyway I managed to get it up and running again, after doing those instructions a few more times, till it finally worked. However, I am afraid to turn the computer off again, cause then I won't be able to logon, and back at square one most likely.

Now that I am back on and running, is there a way to disable this problem so it will not occur again when I turn the computer off, so I won't have to keep doing this every time?
1. Try checking you hard drive for corruption.

2. I would also look into creating a whole new profile, you can then copy all of the files from one to the other. They are stored under c:\users. You will need documents, desktop, photos etc.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:29 AM

715 posts, read 1,144,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
1. Try checking you hard drive for corruption.

2. I would also look into creating a whole new profile, you can then copy all of the files from one to the other. They are stored under c:\users. You will need documents, desktop, photos etc.
- specifically, another Administrator account.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Okay thanks. How do I copy and paste everything from the old account to a new account though, since when I log into a new account, the computer has forgotten everything that I copied while in the old account.

Or where is this c:/users specifically?

Also when checking a hard drive for corruption, what kind of corruption would I be looking for since, I am not sure how to do a general search for corruption.

But when it comes to copying and pasting everything into a new account, my computer hard drive would not have enough space on to double on everything though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers