Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:56 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times

Advertisements

Is there a special setting somewhere that can instantly make Win 10 look more like Win 95 or 98? I hate it every time I get a new computer and I need to fish around for the tweaks to make Windows look like a thinking man's tool rather than an idiot box with hidden file extensions, weird default directories, etc. I just want the File Manager and be able to see everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 11:40 PM

5,461 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Install Start10: https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Old 04-07-2018, 04:20 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
will this get rid of google. I HATE google. I especially hate once it is officially installed it remembers any stupid picture I clicked on and spatters it on everything even if I never clicked on the text part.

I want google to be closeable and silent and mute unless I choose to click on it. I shut of and reboot and select Firefox as my brouser, and then an update shows up and google the unwelcome shadow has returned.

I do not like it collecting every last heading or picture or whatever I clicked on especially since a lot of them are just curiosity and then I want them to GO AWAY.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:51 AM

5,461 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
will this get rid of google.........
.......I shut of and reboot and select Firefox as my brouser, and then an update shows up and google the unwelcome shadow has returned.
You originally said you wanted Windows 10 to look like traditional Windows. Start10 does this. Now you are talking about browsers and search engines...a completely different thing.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:45 PM

911 posts, read 262,379 times
I think you can block google using the host file

0 google.com (0 or 127.0.0.1)

Old 04-07-2018, 07:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
You originally said you wanted Windows 10 to look like traditional Windows. Start10 does this. Now you are talking about browsers and search engines...a completely different thing.
I didn't know about start10, and will have to try that. I wasn't sure where this retention of stuff being repeated endlessly comes from, but I did notice it showed up after I clicked on somewhing which was in a google ad. It was a really pretty dress but I don't think I want to see it again. If I somehow load google even if not directly, it seems to move from firefox being the chosen software to google without asking.

I will certainly try Start10. I suppose if I was doing bank updates or the like, but generally none of it is vital.

I find the way it keeps loading the unwanted picture is pushing my not gonna play button and another mess with google. It was less complicated to set up the uploads back when usenet was the really spiffy software and didn't do much of anything FOR you.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:26 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I didn't know about start10, and will have to try that. I wasn't sure where this retention of stuff being repeated endlessly comes from, but I did notice it showed up after I clicked on somewhing which was in a google ad. It was a really pretty dress but I don't think I want to see it again. If I somehow load google even if not directly, it seems to move from firefox being the chosen software to google without asking.
What do you mean, "load google"?

Google is a search engine, FireFox is a browser.

I think you are using the wrong words, because what you are saying is not making sense. You need to use the right words to give us the correct information, otherwise, it is difficult to try to figure out just what the hell it is that you really mean. If we can't figure out what it is that you are trying to say, then we cannot provide the proper information to assist you.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:27 PM

651 posts, read 416,175 times
Default I use another Search engine

I don't like Google too and use it seldom. There are many Search engines. It is enough to load the site with a Search engine and find the button "Make Yahoo your homepage". You will not see Google at loading after that.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:26 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambo View Post
I think you can block google using the host file

0 google.com (0 or 127.0.0.1)
Do you really think OP has a clue what you are saying here?

Old 04-09-2018, 02:11 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
I don't know about Windows 95 or 98 but you can make it look like XP or Win 7 using Classic Shell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers