U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 PM

933 posts, read 521,567 times

Advertisements

What should one expect to pay for a personal computer - to have a virus removed, the data recovered and a new hard drive installed? Ball park. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 11:20 PM

2,299 posts, read 3,493,375 times
This is way too ambiguous a description for any kind of meaningful answer.
It's like walking into a mechanics shop and asking the clerk for an estimate before they even see the vehicle, (car, truck, bus, bulldozer?), much less apply any diagnostics tests to it.

Some tips on info to provide:

What kind of computer is it? PC or Apple
Was it a desktop or laptop?
Brand name or store assembled? (IE: Dell, Best Buy, home built, etc)
What operating system were you using? Did you keep up with the updates?
Did you have anti-virus software installed? Did you keep up with the updates?
Did you have anti-malware software installed? Did you keep up with the updates?

What symptoms did you observe that make you think you have a virus, and not just a software program glitch?
Be EXTREMELY specific on this one. Screen shots or verbatim dictation of error messages.

I can say from experience of three different instances where I had hard drives fail:
A neighborhood shop will charge you about $100 just for a couple of hours of their time, to take a look at it. If the problem is very simple, they may hand you back your computer, fixed. But it could also be more complex and require several hundred dollars of their time to further attempt (not necessarily resolve) a fix.
If the data on the hard drive is important, there are other, more expensive data recovery options. One was quoted to me at $300, and another, (to recover data from a laptop that had fallen into a pond a year ago), $3-4,000.

So the next question to ask yourself is, "How much is it worth to you?"
The bottom line, is that data recovery is so expert-labor intensive that it's nearly always more costly than simply replacing the hard drive, and often more than replacing the entire system.

The real question is, "how much is the DATA worth?". Which means the real lesson of all this is to back up your stuff as often as necessary so that what might be lost is less of a hassle than the backup hassles.

And finally, you may have heard of the virus / Trojan horse cyber extortion that hit Atlanta recently.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1H70R0
If you got hit by this, then the data is almost certainly lost for good, unless you risk paying off the bad guys in time. If you don't de-crypt it, then your only step is to wipe the computer clean and re-install everything from scratch.

Another excellent reason to do backups.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:24 AM

Wow thanks for your in depth answer - its an old windows 7 laptop but a lot of work data on it that makes recovery worthwhile. It could just be a HD failure - but I wanted to know costs if the crash was caused by a virus incase the computer store starts spewing fixes and costs at me. I know HD's just fail without cause but didn't really have an indication of it - we have a couple of these and only one went down but they're not networked in a way that a virus could have transferred from one to another. At least, that's what the computer geek (my son) told me. The one store wants $100 to look at it and another one wants $40 - refundable if they do the HD replacement which I'll do but wondering what I should expect for recovery or if they decide it was a virus not a HD crash. Just so I know when I talk to them if they're crazy out of line of within expectations. Repped you & DM'd

Old 04-10-2018, 06:25 AM

4,920 posts, read 2,511,124 times
i've had good luck with photorec.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:46 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Its doubtful a virus caused it to crash. People don't write viruses to kill hard drives. How will they spread then if they killed the host computer? Does it make any noise? A clicking noise is a sign of a broken hard drive.
To pay a processional to get data off a crashed hard drive is going to START at $800, if not a grand.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:49 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Its doubtful a virus caused it to crash. People don't write viruses to kill hard drives. How will they spread then if they killed the host computer? Does it make any noise? A clicking noise is a sign of a broken hard drive.
To pay a processional to get data off a crashed hard drive is going to START at $800, if not a grand.
And you'll likely have to take it out and mail it to them unless there's a local company that does it.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:57 PM

4,637 posts, read 3,969,190 times
If it is a virus once it is removed you should be able to access your data and the drive should be ok.

You might be able to copy the data from the drive by using another computer. I would have a professional do this so you do not infect the new computer.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:37 PM

Thanks everyone. Turns out NOT a virus - just a crapped out hard-drive which the guy said he could get spinning so he could get the data off it. I said go for it - $199 included install of the new HD will I had to buy for another $100. Wound up finding a small, family run repair shop. Hesitated but we'll see when I get it back. The price was right anyway.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:52 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
We all appreciate it when the end result is posted. So often these threads wander into never-never land.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or