U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 03:29 PM

24,841 posts, read 30,614,825 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that my Dell laptop doesn't seem to be updating. It notifies me that updates are available, I click on the notification, and nothing seems to happen. A month ago, I paid to renew my virus/firewall subscription, but was notified today that it expired. I called McAfee customer service, and after some diagnosing, was told that my laptop was not updating because the registry was full (at least I think that's the term that was used). The tech asked about my warranty, an basically told me I needed to pay $179 to renew my warranty, so that my computer can be "serviced" and basically cleaned up so that it will update, including McAfee. He said I should be having it serviced every couple months.

I have never had a computer serviced regularly, and generally don't pay for warranties on any electronics or appliances. Does this sound like a real thing? His diagnosis seemed accurate, given the updating issue I had noticed a while back. I don't understand the link between my Dell warranty and the insistence by the McAfee (Guru?) tech support that I renew it. Would i be better off going to a Microsoft store? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 06:34 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,960,319 times
Never heard of a full registry. Try Google and see if it is possible.
You do not need MCAfee. Windows defender will do the same job and it is on you computer. Search for it and be sure it is turned on. All options. Run it. It may run for a few hours on the full scan setting so you might want to do it when you go to bed.

Search for CCleaner and run it. It will clean up your registry. Their could be a lot of junk in it that is slowing it down. Unfortunately this is normal.

Download Malwarebytes. Run it. Virus program

Also Glary Utilities. A little bit of everything

Get free versions and run everything. Some of the above do the same thing but one may find something the other does not.

These are aimed more at cleaning your computer and I have my fingers crossed that it will somehow solve your problem.

Search on your computer for a defrag utility. This will organize your drive. CCcleaner has a free one if you need one.

You should run these programs once in a while to clean things up.

If you want to dig a little farther their will be log files on your computer that should tell you want went wrong with the downloads. These files will probably be deleted from the above suggestions so look for the logs first. But if you find the log files they may not be easy to understand so I would skip this step.

Since you do not need McAfee and if everything else works you should be ok.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:29 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,600,178 times
I agree with everything rjm1cc says.

You might check for how much space is free on the hard drive. Right click the drive icon and click on properties. A full, or nearly full drive causes odd problems.

Any time a "tech" tells you need to renew a warranty for $$$ be very cautious. You'll get better advice here for free.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:22 AM

24,841 posts, read 30,614,825 times
Thank you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers