U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:06 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,963,459 times

Advertisements

Deleted files go nowhere. The first space in the file is changed to a delete symbole and the space occupied by the file can now be overwritten and used for new files. The file can be recovered if it was not overwritten by removing the delete symbol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 PM

2,533 posts, read 6,516,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Deleted files go nowhere. The first space in the file is changed to a delete symbole and the space occupied by the file can now be overwritten and used for new files. The file can be recovered if it was not overwritten by removing the delete symbol.
Thank you this is what I was asking.I just used Ccleaner will this accomplish what you are talking about.
This would be how law enforcement recovers files and why Hillary used chemical to destroy them?

Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 AM

11,832 posts, read 13,968,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am,85,years ago on Bell split I was moved to AT&T information systems as a data tech,
EIGHTY FIVE? That must be a typo. 85 years ago you had a real job so you were at least 18. So you're at least.... 103?!?!

Oopsie. Sorry Peregrine, I hit the edit button instead of the quote button. Following was my comment on your post. Being a mod is so confuzzzing at times.

You never heard of child labor? (I remember the Bell split. I always thought one of them should have been named Southern Belle, and another the Division of Inner Bell (D. Inner Bell.)

Last edited by harry chickpea; 04-18-2018 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Apology to Peregine for messing up his post.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:04 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Lol Peregrine.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:16 PM

2,533 posts, read 6,516,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
EIGHTY FIVE? That must be a typo. 85 years ago you had a real job so you were at least 18. So you're at least.... 103?!?!

You never heard of child labor? (I remember the Bell split. I always thought one of them should have been named Southern Belle, and another the Division of Inner Bell (D. Inner Bell.)
Do you see the coma?

Old 04-17-2018, 08:47 PM

Peregrines sense of humor, like mine, can be a bit difficult to pick up on. I get a lot of blank looks when I crack jokes.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:05 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,963,459 times
Quote:
Thank you this is what I was asking.I just used Ccleaner will this accomplish what you are talking about.
This would be how law enforcement recovers files and why Hillary used chemical to destroy them?
I do not know but I think it only marks the file.
I have heard of this program but never used it. Might do a google to get some comments. https://eraser.heidi.ie/ Be sure it only removes deleted files and not all your data.

You are looking for a program that overwrite the file being deleted with 0's and 1's. That makes it unrecoverable. This would be normal if you were giving away your computer etc.

You could also search for programs to get your computer ready to give a way, but be careful as you do not want to erase your operating system or files you want to keep.

DO NOT format your drive. This will remove all information on the drive.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:12 PM

5,900 posts, read 2,592,501 times
Quote:
Do you see the coma?
The coma?

Anyway even with your (too closely spaced) "comas" it still is confusing.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:32 PM

4,906 posts, read 2,504,260 times
hard drives are like closets.
if you take a shirt off a hanger and drop on the floor; the shirt still exists.

before i donate a pc i do something like:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda && dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

Old 04-18-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Open the Ccleaner program. On the left side click on Options. At the top of the list click on Settings.

This is how I have mine set. I use 7 passes for secure deletion. You can increase the number of passes to more securely delete files. The more passes the longer it will take. This happens every time Ccleaner runs.

Note that Ccleaner does not recommend using this on an SSD drive. If you have one and check the box Ccleaner will tell you it's not recommended in a dialog box that opens.

You can check Wipe Alternate Data Streams and Wipe Cluster Tips if you want to.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 04-18-2018 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers