U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,398,646 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Free giveaway today.

Will only last one day.
https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/secure-safe-pro-3-6/

Website here.
https://www.securesafepro.com/

Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,398,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Free giveaway today.

Will only last one day.

Website here.
Thanks gguerra, but I don't think I'd be able to figure it out. I clicked on the photos at the bottom and don't have a clue what they are all about.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:24 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Free giveaway today.

Will only last one day.

Website here.
AFAIK I ca see this is just a password manager, Keepass will perform same function and it's free. You can attach files to entries with Keepass, it's a little cludgy for that purpose but will accomplish the goal.

Quote:
Thanks gguerra, but I don't think I'd be able to figure it out.
It's simple, these programs create a single encrypted file that you only need to use one password for. It's advisable to use something pretty long. e.g. iusedtoliveiinxyz123456.

This will also generate complex passwords and since you no longer need to remember them you can can use them. When you register for site or reset your password for site you create/edit an entry in Keepass for that site and it will generate the password for you.

Once you have an entry with Keepass you would open up a site and then open Keepass. Right click the entry for that site and there is an option to "auto type", it will automatically insert the username/password and submit it.

As I mentioned there is option to attach files to entries. for example you could attach bank statements to you banking site entry.

The single file this creates is encrypted so if someone steals your computer for example they would not be able to access your passwords or any files attached to entries.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:57 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
A lot of good suggestions above, but to the OP:

Your first action should be to make the first decision. How much is at risk vs how much hassle do I want to put up with?

Lots of info, very sensitive? Then maybe use one of the programs that encrypt your entire drive.
But it sounds like just a few files, maybe just a few folders. If so, then Zip each one separately, and during the zip process, the zip program will give you the option of using encryption and asking for a password.
If you're familiar with using WinZip, WinRAR, or my favorite 7-Zip, then it's a very easy one extra step.

But remember the rules for passwords:
Don't loose the passwords because if you do, that info is GONE.
Don't write it on a stickynote and put it anywhere that's obvious. (The same as putting your front door key under the welcome mat).

Old 04-25-2018, 12:58 PM

2,989 posts, read 1,036,032 times
One of my hobbies for the past 40 years has been cryptography. I love it, but it isn't for every case where something needs to be secured. (I am the guy who from USENET who suggested the crack in Mirdek encryption, although Paul did the analysis that showed the flaw I discovered was fatal.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
... You can attach files to entries with Keepass, it's a little cludgy for that purpose but will accomplish the goal.

It's simple, these programs create a single encrypted file that you only need to use one password for. It's advisable to use something pretty long. e.g. iusedtoliveiinxyz123456.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
A lot of good suggestions above, but to the OP:

Your first action should be to make the first decision. How much is at risk vs how much hassle do I want to put up with?

Lots of info, very sensitive? Then maybe use...

Don't write it on a stickynote and put it anywhere that's obvious. (The same as putting your front door key under the welcome mat).
It may be better to use something like a thumb drive. Assuming the owner of the files doesn't need the kind of security required for nuclear secrets, and assuming there isn't too much data to fit on a Thumb Drive. Just copy the data to a couple of thumb drives. Put one somewhere like a Safe Deposit box (in case the other one just simply fails) and keep the one you use in a locked container, separate from the computer. Thumb drives aren't generally on a typical theif's list of things to steal, so keeping it safe is a lot easier than keeping a computer safe.

Last edited by TRex2; 04-25-2018 at 01:10 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 03:01 PM

28,619 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
One of my hobbies for the past 40 years has been cryptography. I love it, but it isn't for every case where something needs to be secured. (I am the guy who from USENET who suggested the crack in Mirdek encryption, although Paul did the analysis that showed the flaw I discovered was fatal.)

It may be better to use something like a thumb drive. Assuming the owner of the files doesn't need the kind of security required for nuclear secrets, and assuming there isn't too much data to fit on a Thumb Drive. Just copy the data to a couple of thumb drives. Put one somewhere like a Safe Deposit box (in case the other one just simply fails) and keep the one you use in a locked container, separate from the computer. Thumb drives aren't generally on a typical theif's list of things to steal, so keeping it safe is a lot easier than keeping a computer safe.

Wow. someone who knows it's not a safety deposit box. Kudos.

I carry two thumb drives at all times. One for pictures, and one for documents. They reside in the fob pocket of my Levis. They are encrypted using the program that came in them. Sandisk Cruzer.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:56 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wow. someone who knows it's not a safety deposit box. Kudos.

I carry two thumb drives at all times. One for pictures, and one for documents. They reside in the fob pocket of my Levis. They are encrypted using the program that came in them. Sandisk Cruzer.
I would not trust a thumbdrive as my only means of secure storage. They are notorious for failing. A backup sure, but I would not place all of my eggs in one basket.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:25 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
I would not trust a thumbdrive as my only means of secure storage. They are notorious for failing. A backup sure, but I would not place all of my eggs in one basket.
Quick tip on how I use Keepass. The file is stored on Onedrive, you have the local copy on the computer and one in the "cloud"*. In addition to the redundant copies that also makes it accessible from different devices which can be important if you have many devices and need access to the passwords from all of them. The only thing you need to be careful about is having it open in device and not saving changes before opening it in another device, there is options in Keepass for auto saving.

*There is very long and complex password I have memorized, you only need to remember the one password and it's very important it's not easy.

Quote:
It may be better to use something like a thumb drive
Keepass itself can be installed on a thumb drive along with the file.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:15 PM

28,619 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
In addition everything is on two drives in a Win 12 Server and backed up to Crashplan. The thumb drives are an added step.

Notorious for failing? We have probably 15 of them, some are 12 years old.

None have ever failed. Perhaps a different brand would help you with your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or