U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:57 AM

2,989 posts, read 1,036,032 times

Advertisements

I have had one good one, and a couple of cheapo's fail,
over about a ten year period. I have had two hard drives
and dozens of other media fail in the same time period.

When I worked in a hostile environment, we had a couple
of the good ones fail, but as I said, that was a hostile
environment (weather, dust, smoke, gunpowder...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 02:08 AM

2,989 posts, read 1,036,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wow. someone who knows it's not a safety deposit box. Kudos.

I carry two thumb drives at all times. One for pictures, and one for documents. They reside in the fob pocket of my Levis. They are encrypted using the program that came in them. Sandisk Cruzer.
I thought about Sandisk Cruzer encryption, but I couldn't find
a current review to see if it was still considered reliable,
and couldn't find a youtube on how to use it.

I read doctoral dissertations on cryptagraphy and physics for fun,
But that hobby ain't for everyone...

I have (somewhere - I just moved to a new house) a paper I wrote
(for non cryptagraphers) on how to set up Password Safe, and following
my process takes about half an hour IIRC.

Thus my suggestion to simply copy it to a thumb drive
and stick the thumb drive in a locked box.

Assuming he doesn't have any kind of data that someone
would be actually willing to break into his house to steal.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:48 AM

4,592 posts, read 8,195,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
A lot of good suggestions above, but to the OP:

Your first action should be to make the first decision. How much is at risk vs how much hassle do I want to put up with?

Lots of info, very sensitive? Then maybe use one of the programs that encrypt your entire drive.
But it sounds like just a few files, maybe just a few folders. If so, then Zip each one separately, and during the zip process, the zip program will give you the option of using encryption and asking for a password.
If you're familiar with using WinZip, WinRAR, or my favorite 7-Zip, then it's a very easy one extra step.

But remember the rules for passwords:
Don't loose the passwords because if you do, that info is GONE.
Don't write it on a stickynote and put it anywhere that's obvious. (The same as putting your front door key under the welcome mat).
^ This is the key
Everything that's been mentioned are great tools. For what they do. But a great tool doesn't always solve everything. So the first step is really to understand the goals.

As an example - Full disk encryption is a great solution. It's one of my most recommended controls for endpoints. That said - looking at the OP's original statement (someone logging into their computer), this MAY not be the right tool (or only tool) as someone being able to log into the OP's computer would have likely already bypassed FDE.

Perhaps just using password on the file will do the job (assuming we're talking MS Office or PDF files). Sure, it can be brute forced or even access by other tools. But the OP's biggest threat may be a nosy family member who isn't likely going to bother making additional efforts. And treating it like the crown jewels when it really isn't can sometime defeat the purpose. This is why even NIST talked about dialing down the password complexity requirements (which raised a lot of eyebrows).

Like many things - there's often not a "best", but rather "most appropriate".

Old 04-26-2018, 09:36 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
In addition everything is on two drives in a Win 12 Server and backed up to Crashplan. The thumb drives are an added step.

Notorious for failing? We have probably 15 of them, some are 12 years old.

None have ever failed. Perhaps a different brand would help you with your problem.
That may be your experience but it isn't mine and I don't usually buy cheap stuff. I am not saying it will fail, I am saying it can fail. Do you want to take the chance? Redundancy is the only way to safeguard.

As for cloud backup, that is OK but just how safe is it? Do you trust others 100%? I don't

As for private, you could encrypt and store it on the cloud. If you don't encrypt, then theoretically someone else has access to it. They don't tell you and I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I often wonder why many companies offer free cloud storage? What's in it for them? Think about it..

Hard Drives, SSDs, Flash Drives: How Long Will Your Storage Media Last?

Old 04-28-2018, 11:50 PM

25,168 posts, read 18,661,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That may be your experience but it isn't mine and I don't usually buy cheap stuff. I am not saying it will fail, I am saying it can fail. Do you want to take the chance? Redundancy is the only way to safeguard.

As for cloud backup, that is OK but just how safe is it? Do you trust others 100%? I don't

As for private, you could encrypt and store it on the cloud. If you don't encrypt, then theoretically someone else has access to it. They don't tell you and I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I often wonder why many companies offer free cloud storage? What's in it for them? Think about it..

Hard Drives, SSDs, Flash Drives: How Long Will Your Storage Media Last?
Are you a completely on-prem guy? I have 1TB-2TB of music, anime, and other unique TV shows I store locally. I have one internal SATA drive backing up to another, plus a USB HDD that does a differential backup of the backup drive weekly. The music (about 200GB) is backed up to my iCloud plan, and could be restored with iTunes match.

My main password file is itself encrypted and stored in iCloud. I used a random password generator to generate a 1024 bit password for my iTunes account. My iTunes account isn't going to be brute forced. That password, along with others, is encrypted in a special database that has a special password only I would know, and that password is unique and special and not otherwise used in my life.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:12 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Are you a completely on-prem guy? I have 1TB-2TB of music, anime, and other unique TV shows I store locally. I have one internal SATA drive backing up to another, plus a USB HDD that does a differential backup of the backup drive weekly. The music (about 200GB) is backed up to my iCloud plan, and could be restored with iTunes match.

My main password file is itself encrypted and stored in iCloud. I used a random password generator to generate a 1024 bit password for my iTunes account. My iTunes account isn't going to be brute forced. That password, along with others, is encrypted in a special database that has a special password only I would know, and that password is unique and special and not otherwise used in my life.
The Cloud has it's uses but it should not be your only form of back up which isn't from what I can see. It sounds like you have things covered.

Bottom line. redundancy is the best way to keep your data safe with the "on-prem" being your primary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or