Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 12:29 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times

Advertisements

I was listening to music on YouTube, and sharing it on Facebook. Right after listening to about six songs, I got a full-screen, in BOLD RED, top to bottom writing from Microsoft telling me to call a 1-877 number, and then another drop window came in, telling me that my computer has a virus. They wanted me to accept something, and I reacted by shutting off the electricity in the computer, to get rid of it on the spot.

I waited 30 minutes, put it on, did not allow Google to bring the pages back, then I used Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and McAfee, and all stated no viruses, but how about my identity, credit card numbers, and passwords in Facebook, Google, Yahoo?

I think this was a scam to get me to call the 1-877 number, that I got so nervous, I did not even write it down. Your opinions, please. And Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 12:31 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Sounds like a pretty nasty popup ad to me. Good thing you didn't call. If you ran all the programs you described, I'd chalk it up to just that. A nasty popup that was trying to scam you. I might tell Youtube about it though.

I don't think your passwords and other personal information has been compromised, imho. If you feel that scared, change them. And add an AdBlocker to your browser.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:32 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Yes. It was a scam, and a good reminder to backup your data files occasionally.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:15 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
It is a scam to get you to call the number, at which point, someone will attempt to sell you a "service" to clean-up the "detected virus" on your computer. It claims it is from Microsoft and that a Microsoft certified technician is waiting for your call. This has nothing to do with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft does not operate in this fashion. (I just ran into it again today, which is why I noticed and responded to this thread)

I'm uncertain if it leaves behind a residual virus when you shut-down your system -- In the past, I called the number once -- and then seemed to keep getting these "safety" notices. My advice is do not call the number and do not give anyone else remote access to your system.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:20 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,706 times
OP, I got 2 like that last week. Locked up the computer. One virus came from a Google search for 'Bettie Scouts.' Bettie Scouts of America popped up first thing on Google. I clicked on it and got a ransonware.
What a ****ed world we live in in 2018, really sad.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:54 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It is a scam to get you to call the number, at which point, someone will attempt to sell you a "service" to clean-up the "detected virus" on your computer. It claims it is from Microsoft and that a Microsoft certified technician is waiting for your call. This has nothing to do with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft does not operate in this fashion. (I just ran into it again today, which is why I noticed and responded to this thread)

I'm uncertain if it leaves behind a residual virus when you shut-down your system -- In the past, I called the number once -- and then seemed to keep getting these "safety" notices. My advice is do not call the number and do not give anyone else remote access to your system.

Sometimes, when I try to search for something on Google, I often get the drop down window asking to allow access, or someone wanting to access my location. I looked in Google's settings, and cannot find anything that will allude to that, so from now on, I am going to start refusing access to my location.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:42 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,163,964 times
You probably need clean up system with bootable usb stick with anti virus scanner.
I'm strongly recommend.
This virus might still stay in system boot area.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:41 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
First of all you did the right thing: applause. Very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I often get the drop down window asking to allow access, or someone wanting to access my location.
This is NOT what you think. This is the webpage ITSELF wanting your location. This is not malware or spyware. For example if you go to Chevy.com, Chevy, the website, not a person, asks if it can have your location so when you click BUY it will offer you deals in YOUR area.
Home Depot, BestBuy, same thing. They are making it a bit easier for you to click that link that says "Is this available in a store?" If it knows your location it will just show you the 3 locations nearest you. Otherwise it will have to stop and ask you your zip code or city.
It's just convenient and not nefarious.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:00 PM

295 posts, read 353,955 times
These scams have been going on for the longest time now. Most notably during the Windows XP years cause it was so vulnerable to these exploits. The simplest ones are just a pop-up with animations pretending to be scanning your files and tricking you into believing you have hundreds or thousands of viruses afterwards. The more malicious ones will install something, edit registry settings and even disable your antivirus software. These often will cause the computer to come to a crawl as numerous processes are started and running. The warning pop-ups will be endless and unstoppable because closing one will open numerous more. Once someone at work got one of these it's game over and we just reimage the drive because it is so difficult to remove and the OS never runs the same again.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:37 AM

8,050 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Whenever I get one of those all I do is go to the task manager and kill the browser page. All that is getting locked up is your browser; not your computer. Hit ALT CTRL DEL at the same time and click on task manager. Click your browser and end task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers