U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 02:14 PM

548 posts, read 1,065,803 times

Advertisements

Title of this thread should read: "Is there a way to cancel System Restore in progress" but I could not edit it.

I wanted to do a Restore to an earlier date on my computer, however.. I accidentally clicked on "System Restore" instead....
When I realized my mistake, I tried to stop it, but couldn't. So in a panic, I just pulled the plug to stop everything....
That was a week ago and I have not had I chance to TURN it on again to see what happens. Plus I'm scared to try.
I have a ton of important files and photos I would like to save before it erases everything...
Is there any thing I can do OR if I take it to a shop,.. can they really do anyting to save my files?
TIA

Last edited by elnina; 04-26-2018 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 02:42 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
To get to your files or photos download Knoppix.

KNOPPIX - Live Linux Filesystem On CD

You burn that a CD/DVD. When your computer first boots a screen comes on briefly before windows loads and it will have some information on what key(s) to get into the BIOS. It might be F8, Delete or something else.... Look it up beforehand for the manufacturer/model.

When you press that key on that screen it will take you to the BIOS settings instead of loading Windows. This is the most basic settings for your computer. What you want to find is the drive boot order, again this depends on your manufacturer/model and you can look it up beforehand where to find this in the BIOS menu. You want to set the CD/DVD drive as first option in the boot order, it's entirely possible it's already set to do that. When you have done that open the tray on the CD/DVD drive and put the Knoppix disk in. Save the changes to the BIOS, the computer will reboot and should load Knoppix from the disk.

Knoppix is full OS and somewhere there is going to be file browser just like Windows, it should be very easy to find. Plug in a USB drive and copy the files from the computers hard drive to it. If the files are missing or whatever just stop and come back for more advice.

In addition to the files you may want to look up how to move a browser profile which is going to contain your favorites etc, email would be another thing if you are not using web based email. Most of that stuff can be moved to the USB drive.

Once you have copied everything go back to the BIOS and change it back to it's original settings, take out the Knoppix disk and turn the computer on to see what happens.

Last edited by thecoalman; 04-26-2018 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 04:30 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Title of this thread should read: "Is there a way to cancel System Restore in progress" but I could not edit it.

I wanted to do a Restore to an earlier date on my computer, however.. I accidentally clicked on "System Restore" instead....
When I realized my mistake, I tried to stop it, but couldn't. So in a panic, I just pulled the plug to stop everything....
That was a week ago and I have not had I chance to TURN it on again to see what happens. Plus I'm scared to try.
I have a ton of important files and photos I would like to save before it erases everything...
Is there any thing I can do OR if I take it to a shop,.. can they really do anyting to save my files?
TIA

System restore doesn't mess with your personal data. You should be safe and I keep telling people this, you should already be BACKING UP!. If you value your data, back it up. It could go at any time, literally.

System restore only changes system files.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:26 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Perhaps I'm mistaken but he may have started a System reset. In any event following the instructions I posted above will safeguard the files as long as they can still be copied regardless of what actions were taken.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:25 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Perhaps I'm mistaken but he may have started a System reset. In any event following the instructions I posted above will safeguard the files as long as they can still be copied regardless of what actions were taken.
He did say "Restore to an earlier date" which tells me it's a system restore.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:55 AM

28,619 posts, read 40,594,929 times
The question is does the OP know the difference?

Gguerra keep hammering the backup theme. So many people don't do it. You would not (or you might) believe how many clients I had when I worked that lost data because of no backup.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:05 PM

5,562 posts, read 3,842,689 times
This is what I read.
"I wanted to do a Restore to an earlier date on my computer, however.. I accidentally clicked on "System Restore" instead....
When I realized my mistake, I tried to stop it, but couldn't. So in a panic, I just pulled the plug to stop everything...."
Sounds to me like he stopped a system restore.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:00 PM

28,619 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Ah, light went on. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
This is what I read.
"I wanted to do a Restore to an earlier date on my computer, however.. I accidentally clicked on "System Restore" instead....
When I realized my mistake, I tried to stop it, but couldn't. So in a panic, I just pulled the plug to stop everything...."
Sounds to me like he stopped a system restore.
I believe the OP was concerned that running a new system restore point would overwrite an existing one.

It doesn't.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:52 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,701,905 times
I've had restores fail, for unknown reasons. The system reboots and reverses the aborted restore. I doubt the OP is the first person ever to have a computer shut off during a restore. Power failures, anyone? Microsoft seems to have anticipated problems during restores, upgrades and such (even though updates continue to be a problem...) so things fail gracefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers