U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 12:05 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times

Advertisements

I keep old computers for a while. Just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 01:59 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post

JustZola - I did take it upstairs and connect it - it sped up immediately, no issues at all through ethernet.
But how was the wireless speed when you took it upstairs. If the speed was good , you have interference or signal strength issues at the other location. Interference can be caused by cordless phones, microwaves, wireless camera, insulation in the floors and walls, pipes, vents, neighbor's wireless networks. If your upload speed is truly better than your download speeds, I'd think some is on your network downloading stuff or you have an application on your computer downloading and taking bandwidth from the speed test.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,611,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
But how was the wireless speed when you took it upstairs. If the speed was good , you have interference or signal strength issues at the other location. Interference can be caused by cordless phones, microwaves, wireless camera, insulation in the floors and walls, pipes, vents, neighbor's wireless networks. If your upload speed is truly better than your download speeds, I'd think some is on your network downloading stuff or you have an application on your computer downloading and taking bandwidth from the speed test.
Oh yes. Forgot to mention... no improvement on the wireless situation at all when right next to the modem.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Oh yes. Forgot to mention... no improvement on the wireless situation at all when right next to the modem.
I saw a video of someone recommending using the windows 8.1 driver and disabling the window 10 driver.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
New wireless adapters can be purchased for under $15 how much is your time worth fixing old stuff?

Old 05-06-2018, 03:12 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,707,067 times
You might check the wifi throughput on each machine to see if somethings happening in background you're not aware of. Taskmanager is good for this. Hit ctl-alt-delete together, and pick task manager from the menu. Then pick the performance tab, then wifi on the left. Then keep in mind that saturating your upload link, like when an online backup is running, will trash your download speed. I do this to diagnose problems because much internet use can happen outside your browser.

Other things to look at are wifi channel interference and antenna problems. Most wifi modems routers auto-select to a least used channel, but I suppose things can go wrong. You can download apps for your smartphone that will show channel usage, and remember that some computer wifi adapters perform better than others.

If you're in a (wifi) noisy environment, you might consider alternatives like powerline internet. In my last house, my TV room was loaded with competing wifi signals (dense urban neighborhood of course) so I ran powerline internet to the room then connected to a remote access point and blasted out the interference. Had to do that because some of my dongles were wifi only.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:45 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,966,539 times
Sounds like the problem is your computer and not the wifi.
Have no idea what it could be.
Therefore use something like ccleaner and a defragging program to clean up old files. Repair the registry. How much disk space do you have free? I think 10% is min and 20% would be better.
Look at your startup menu and see what is running. The program to run is called Task Manager. It will also show you your wifi in a graft. Run it on both computers doing the same task and compare to see if you can find a problem. The task manage will tell you what programs are running and the % of your computer it is using. Since the computers are probably different do not expect the same %.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or