U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 11:27 AM

15,853 posts, read 30,810,014 times

Advertisements

I have a nice little HP Notebook that I use daily. When I purchased it in 2015 it had Windows 8 and since that time it has automatically updated itself to Windows 10. Personally, I don't care, but during the upgrade process something glitched and I have some ENORMOUS installation files that simply will not go away.

I have used the "clean up" feature on the computer, I've compressed, I've defragged and I still only have 2 gigabytes left on my hard drive out of 64. I do not have a lot of programs installed, nor a lot of photos. My hard drive is relatively bare with the exception of the these stupid installation files that I cannot seem to get rid of. No matter how hard I try.

I've called a few techs around town and they assure me that for a fee, they can clean up my HD and get rid of these unwanted and unnecessary files, so I know it can be done. Either that, or they are just telling me this to scam me out of some money. If they CAN be removed then I should be perfectly capable of removing them.

I've googled it and checked youtube and not found anything yet that seems to address my problem specifically. Does anyone here have any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 12:53 PM

701 posts, read 994,547 times
Are you sure that you can delete "these stupid installation files that I cannot seem to get rid of"?

Or does Win 10 (or any programs you have), need any of those files?

If you are sure you don't need them, and have tried every which way to delete them, (and your notebook can boot up from a USB stick) ... you could create a bootable linux USB stick. Just remember that Win 10 makes it slightly more difficult to boot from another disk than, say, Win 7 did.

Then boot with Linux and delete those files.

Maybe you should copy those "stupid installation files" to another usb stick as a backup. Just in case you need them back.

Then delete them from your hard drive using Linux.

To create a Linux boot disk:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linu...-the-easy-way/
https://www.lifewire.com/create-a-mu...-drive-4134439

Old 04-30-2018, 01:09 PM

3,547 posts, read 5,683,767 times
What files in particular are you having issues with?

Old 04-30-2018, 04:24 PM

4,636 posts, read 3,969,190 times
There are old windows instillation files you can delete. This can affect your ability to delete the program in the future.
I would do a google search for windows files you can delete. I did this a while ago and no problems. The Windows update program is one that keeps old files.
This might help. Go to file explorer and right click the C drive. Click on the Disk Cleanup. On the pop up you may see clean up system files (bottom left). I think it only shows if you have files that can be deleted. This does not duplicate the first suggestion

Old 04-30-2018, 06:17 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
For Disk Cleanup

Right click Drive C:
Click on Properties
Go to the General tab
Disk Cleanup is at the lower right corner.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:36 AM

701 posts, read 994,547 times
Personally, IMO, I think a 64 Gig drive is quite a small capacity for this day and age.

Since you mentioned that you've already done the clean up routine, and even the defrag, and Win 10 still kept those files around. Even if you manage to delete those files, its still just a 64-gig drive, less OS space.
If you're computer savy enough, you might be better off buying a new, larger capacity drive. Maybe even an SSD!. A cheap new drive today is probably double or even triple your current capacity. Anyway, you can clone your current drive into the new drive and install the new drive.

Here's an easy to read guide on upgrading hard drives: https://www.howtogeek.com/345988/how...sd-in-your-pc/

If your time is precious and you don't want to be bothered, maybe just buy a new laptop in your price range.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:27 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
It's one of those small tablet type Windows computers. Anyone savvy enough can use that just fine with 64GB of RAM. Just don't store your photos or music on it. It surely has an SD Card slot on it, as well. You can add memory.
Having said that I doubt there are 'installation files".
I would suggest doing a fresh install of 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...ws10startfresh

Old 05-01-2018, 06:47 PM

2,913 posts, read 1,709,430 times
Windows leaves huge numbers of files around that you don't need. Just google and you'll learn that you can delete gigs of. An example is the software distribution folder, most of which you don't need. Or the windows\installer directory - 10g right there. Do you need it all? don't know.

I use a utility called disktective to figure out what's taking up space, and use other sources to figure out what's safe to delete.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:04 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MbsP9IP-LI

Old 01-22-2019, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Are you sure that you can delete "these stupid installation files that I cannot seem to get rid of"?

Or does Win 10 (or any programs you have), need any of those files?

If you are sure you don't need them, and have tried every which way to delete them, (and your notebook can boot up from a USB stick) ... you could create a bootable linux USB stick. Just remember that Win 10 makes it slightly more difficult to boot from another disk than, say, Win 7 did.

Then boot with Linux and delete those files.

Maybe you should copy those "stupid installation files" to another usb stick as a backup. Just in case you need them back.

Then delete them from your hard drive using Linux.

To create a Linux boot disk:
[URL]https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/[/URL]
[URL]https://www.lifewire.com/create-a-multiboot-usb-drive-4134439[/URL]
you can free your note book by deleting duplicate file. You can download this file from web. by searching google. Just you have to write "duplicate file deleter" that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers