U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 07:31 AM

58,721 posts, read 42,000,872 times

Advertisements

My laptop had been working fine until 2 days ago when it would randomly start planting black squares/rectangles around the screen. A search for this issue said it was likely from an update that didn't install properly, makes sense as one of those auto updates was done around the time the problem began. I tried doing a system restore to an earlier date and now Google Chrome refuses to open. I undid the system restore but Chrome still refuses to open.

I'm guessing I could always download Chrome again but I'd really like to keep the bookmarks I already had in Chrome. Hints, tips, suggestions appreciated before I start searching for mystical incantations and/or rites which may include graveyards and chicken blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 08:57 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,519,339 times
uninstall the updates back to the date you think the problem started.
Start
Control Panel
Uninstall a Program
View installed updates
then wait until they populate and uninstall each one,
then restart

Old 05-03-2018, 08:58 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Export your Chrome Bookmarks.
Uninstall.
Reboot.
Reinstall.
Import Bookmarks.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
uninstall the updates back to the date you think the problem started.
Start
Control Panel
Uninstall a Program
View installed updates
then wait until they populate and uninstall each one,
then restart

Thanks for the reply!

I'd already system restored back to a point before the issue started so all of the installed updates are before the issue began.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Export your Chrome Bookmarks.
Uninstall.
Reboot.
Reinstall.
Import Bookmarks.
I think I'm screwed!

I looked at the list of installed programs and double clicked on Chrome thinking it would open, it apparently uninstalled instead and I don't see 'undo' anywhere near.

Surprise! Surprise!

Even though I'd apparently uninstalled Chrome, I downloaded it again and when I opened it all my old bookmarks were there, and I have no idea why.

Last edited by burdell; 05-03-2018 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 02:46 PM

It seems the problem may be with the Chrome browser. After looking around I found a forum advising going into the browser settings and disabling hardware acceleration to correct this issue. So far it seems to be working with no bad side effects. fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or