U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 08:18 AM

14,544 posts, read 16,560,769 times

Advertisements

That has nothing to do with integrated graphics. It has to do with the motherboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 08:23 AM

2,992 posts, read 1,039,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Doing just fine with my setup. Running ultra on everything zero issues..

Processor
Memory RAM 16 GB
As long as people are posting this stuff, I have a couple questions.

Quote:
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Dedicated Memory 8.0 GB
Total Memory 15 GB
I guess I understand total memory?
but what is "dedicated memory" and is it important?

Quote:
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 (build 16299), 64-bit
Drive 1 Size 1.8 TB
Drive 2 Size 465.8 GB
When did we stop using Drive 0 and Drive 1,
is this new with Win 10? or just more humanly readable,
compliments of the person posting?

Aslo, of the computers I have bought, exactly ONE of them
had drive 1 as boot, and drive 0 as "D" drive.
Is there a right and wrong way to do this?
or does it not matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You won't.

I used to run dual 32" 1440p monitors off an old Thinkpad laptop with integrated graphics Now it's run off newer laptop with a 1060, but the graphics card has nothing to do with running two monitors. That's just because sometimes I like to play games when I'm away from my desktop.

A $50 videocard will run two monitors just as well as a [screaming expensive card]. Just need two video out ports, which many motherboards do not have. ...
You are right, and someone else told me the same thing. I need the two video ports, and that is why I thought I might need a moderately high priced ($100-$200) card.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:38 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That has nothing to do with integrated graphics. It has to do with the motherboard.
Yes, it does! It is still the video card that handles ALL Video Out operations. It doesn't matter if the video card is integrated or discrete. If you don't have dual outs, what do you do? Install a new video card. Which then disables what?!?! THE GRAPHICS CARD ON THE MOBO.

If you upgrade your motherboard and it has 2 video outputs it is because it has a BETTER INTEGRATED VIDEO GRAPHICS card.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:38 AM

Dedicated memory is memory on the graphics card as opposed to total memory which is memory graphics card + accessible system memory. It's not relevant for most people.

A motherboard with dual video out (DVI/HDMI, for example) will also work. Just need to make sure that it will output on both simultaneously. Honestly not sure how common it is these days but you used to see boards that did have two video out but could only output on one or could only output cloned. Sub $50 is fine, GT 710, GS 8400 GS. They're pretty much all DVI + HDMI. I doubt they even make one that only has one video out.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
As long as people are posting this stuff, I have a couple questions.
I guess I understand total memory?
but what is "dedicated memory" and is it important?
A motherboard with builtin graphics rarely has dedicated memory. So you'll see "GTX 680 with 2 GB shared".
This means that graphics card will use your system RAM. So if you have 4 gb of RAM, your video card may steal a GB of that to use for itself when it needs it.
A card with dedicated memory has it's own RAM on the video card itself, so it never needs to borrow system memory. It's always available. Just for the card.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes, it does! It is still the video card that handles ALL Video Out operations. It doesn't matter if the video card is integrated or discrete. If you don't have dual outs, what do you do? Install a new video card. Which then disables what?!?! THE GRAPHICS CARD ON THE MOBO.

If you upgrade your motherboard and it has 2 video outputs it is because it has a BETTER INTEGRATED VIDEO GRAPHICS card.
Motherboards with graphics cards are rare these days, hell they were rare back in the day. The other 99% of the time it means you got a motherboard with better I/O and are rocking the same integrated graphics unless you also upgraded CPUs. So yeah, in the incredibly rare exception that you're talking about mobo integrated graphics, but then it's still the mobo =D

Old 05-09-2018, 09:07 AM

27,165 posts, read 64,414,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Y If you don't have dual outs, what do you do?
Will these work?

https://www.cdw.com/product/StarTech...g!325399804929!

Old 05-09-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes.

Problem with splitters is they're splitters. They split a signal. Works great if you want two monitors displaying the same thing. If not, need either dual video out or DisplayPort. You can daisy chain multiple monitors off one DP.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:39 AM

No, that won't work for an extended desktop. As M said it's going to split it.
I can't think of any reason you would want to do that.
This will though:
https://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Rad...rds=video+card

Old 05-09-2018, 10:29 AM

2,913 posts, read 1,709,430 times
The option I took to operate my dual monitor setup was to buy a fanless graphics card. I don't game, so higher end specs don't matter. What I do a lot of is photoshop and lightroom, plus some video editing, and the card supports acceleration. Newegg (among many other, I suspect) has a page of them: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...d=1&Submit=ENE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers