U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 01:43 PM

175 posts, read 236,373 times

Advertisements

Use Windows Defender + mbam.

Windows Firewall is fine too.

N360 not needed and is a resource hog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 12:51 PM

2,992 posts, read 1,039,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Speaking of malware, people might want to reboot their routers:
F.B.I.’s Urgent Request: Reboot Your Router to Stop Russia-Linked Malware
Hundreds of thousands of home and office routers have been infected by the malware, which was created by the same group that hacked the Democratic National Committee.https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/27/t...t-malware.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I just say this from the NY Times. Being from Russia and all the stuff on Russia spying on our computers you would think it would be all over the mainstream press. Have not heard it yet.

Rebooting the router does not seem that it should remove a malware program made by a professional.
Most of us don't trust the NYT for anything, let alone computer related stuff, but they are at least partially right, this time.
Some other resources:
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/05/...er-now-please/
https://www.wired.com/beyond-the-bey...-wreck-router/
According to the article, it infected less than 1million routers, which makes me wonder why so few. (Maybe only ones with certain security flaws were infected) And it also says that simply rebooting the router will temporarily disrupt the infection. A factory reset is required to completely eradicate it. Maybe someone will come out with a fix. Then again, with so few infections, maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
... No body else has to follow this exact procedure.
The point is whatever security software I use, cloning is still the backbone of the security measures I take. Plus the clone can be used as a portable, external hard drive for data storage as well.
Frankly, once I had a clone, I would lock up that drive in a safe place and not use it for anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or